The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 27, 2011, 10:47 AM   #1
woconnor

Selling/trading legality?

I'm seriously debating trading my g23 in for a 26 or 27. Does this need to be done thru an ffl dealer? Should I anticipate any certain fees? I live in IN if that matters.
Old March 27, 2011, 11:10 AM   #2
Thiokol

If you're talking about trading with someone out of state, the following link contains just about everything that you need to know about private party sales & shipping: http://atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html. However, despite what the ATF says, state laws may vary and some FFLs like to create their own rules. Here are some other things to consider.

While it's perfectly legal for you to ship a handgun, some FFLs will not accept private party shipments. Your only shipping options are: having an FFL ship it for you via the USPS or you shipping it via Fedex priority overnight service or UPS next day service. An FFL might be cheaper depending on his fee. You must ship to an FFL if it's going to another state. You can probably ship it directly to another Indiana resident but check your state laws to be sure.

If you decide to ship it yourself, it will be pricey. I'm sure that someone is going to chime in to tell you how they always ship handguns via Fedex or UPS ground service and declare the contents of the package to be machine parts or tools. Don't do it. If your gun is lost or stolen your loss/damage won't be honored because you violated their tariffs.
Old March 27, 2011, 12:00 PM   #3
Hunter Customs

Thiokol posted some good info here.

I believe you will find if you try ship a firearm as a non FFL to another non FFL both UPS and Fed-Ex will refuse shippment no matter if it's a handgun or long gun.
The above is not Federal law it's UPS and Fed-Ex policy.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
ww.huntercustoms.com
Old March 27, 2011, 12:10 PM   #4
Thiokol

Quote:
I believe you will find if you try ship a firearm as a non FFL to another non FFL both UPS and Fed-Ex will refuse shippment no matter if it's a handgun or long gun. The above is not Federal law it's UPS and Fed-Ex policy.
Sorry, but that's completely incorrect. Their policies only require next day shipping. Please read their tariffs. Here's the UPS tariff http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/res...ms&WT.svl=SRCH. Pay particular attention to the first paragraph, where it says, among other things, between persons not otherwise prohibited from shipping firearms by federal, state or local law, and when such shipment complies with all federal, state and local laws applicable to the shipper, recipient, and package.

Here's the Fedex tariff: http://www.fedex.com/us/freight/rule..._articles.html. Item #2 in paragraph #2 says precisely the same thing. Here's the quote: Where not prohibited by local, state and federal law, from individuals to licensed importers, licensed manufacturers or licensed dealers (and return of same).
Old March 27, 2011, 02:08 PM   #5
brickeyee

The problem is convincing the FedEx and UPS employees what their own companies policies are.
Old March 27, 2011, 02:19 PM   #6
Thiokol

Quote:
The problem is convincing the FedEx and UPS employees what their own companies policies are.
It's actually quite simple if they question you. Have a copy of the tariff with you and ask to speak to a supervisor.
Old March 27, 2011, 03:34 PM   #7
wally626

The Fedex rules would not allow in-state person to person shipping as Hunter Customs indicated, the UPS rules would allow this. The Fedex rules limit personnel shipping to only to licensed importers, licensed manufacturers or licensed dealers (and return of same), UPS only limits it to lawful shipments which would include instate shipments and a few limited state-to-state cases such as shipping to yourself.
Old March 27, 2011, 05:59 PM   #8
woconnor

first, i did not start this thread for fedex/ups bylaws. I do not plan on shipping my gun, unless thru an ffl. I do not want any higher power or big brother thinking im some sort of small arms trader or up to anything mischevious. I want to know, if i go to my lgs with intention of trading my gun, are they going to charge me a certain fee (aside from commission). Plus i wouldnt let my gun go without a new one in my hands, since im not really interrested in selling as much as i am in trading it for the smaller model. Thanks for the input though, great shipping info if i ever find myself in that situation.
Old March 27, 2011, 06:24 PM   #9
brickeyee

"It's actually quite simple if they question you. Have a copy of the tariff with you and ask to speak to a supervisor."

And the odds are pretty good the supervisor will not know the policy, and could care less about what you show them.
You could have typed it up and formatted it yourself.
Old March 27, 2011, 06:25 PM   #10
chris in va

Well, say you went into Bob's Gun Store and asked if you could trade the 23 for a 26 (good call BTW).

More than likely you'll be turned down as the GS won't be making any profit on the deal, unless it will be *toward* the purchase of another in the case, just like a used car. That $500 Glock will then be worth $300 in trade-in, if that.

So that's $200 you're out. If the deal is set, the GS employee will need to start the regular gun buying process just like any other purchase. Tax, NICS check fee etc etc.

Or...you can find a LOCAL person to simply trade your 23 for a 26 if they're so inclined. No fees, no paperwork, both parties just have to be the same state residency status. Low probability of that happening though.
Old March 27, 2011, 10:33 PM   #11
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by woconnor
...I want to know, if i go to my lgs with intention of trading my gun, are they going to charge me a certain fee (aside from commission)....
That will depend entirely on your local gun shop. It's completely up to them.
Old March 28, 2011, 01:21 AM   #12
LarryFlew

Usually better off money wise to sell and buy rather than trade just like used cars as mentioned previously.