The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 26, 2008, 02:41 PM   #1
murphjup

Switching between double action and single action pistols....

I find myself jerking the trigger when I go to single action, and moving the muzzle off target...

I know I need to practice more, but I was wondering, if anyone has a train of thought when they are switching different trigger pulls?

Thank you in advance..

Old June 26, 2008, 04:54 PM   #2
jfrey123

Simply practice with each firearm. I can almost feel my trigger pull change subconsciously when switching from a Glock to a heavy-trigger DA revolver. When I practice, regardless of firearm in hand or grip technique, I always try to focus on pulling the trigger straight back every time. Seems to help me, YMMV.
Old June 26, 2008, 09:50 PM   #3
Sigma 40 Blaster

That is about how I feel when switching between my M&P and my XD.

I found that taking up the slack in the trigger helps a lot in not "jerking around" the barrel, also only let off the trigger enough for it to reset, not all the way to the front.
Old June 27, 2008, 04:01 AM   #4
Hawg

I just don't shoot anything DA.
Old June 27, 2008, 06:34 AM   #5
Keltyke

I have no trouble switching from a SA auto to a DA revolver. Using a revolver in DA just seems natural. A DA auto really bothers me, though. I have a LOT of trouble with autos that are DA for the first shot and SA thereafter. Most DA autos seem to have a longer, stiffer trigger pull, too.
Old June 27, 2008, 10:28 AM   #6
obxned

I've never had a problem switching between SA, DA, and SA/DA. However, I worry about safeties that do not operate like a 1911, and mag releases not in the normal position.

I'm a proud member of a North Carolina Committee of Safety
Old June 27, 2008, 12:34 PM   #7
MLeake

As another poster noted, consciously take up the slack on the SA pull, and practice a lot.

I don't have much trouble with the transition, after thousands of rounds of practice, but even so I just recently bought a DAK triggered Sig. Its light double action only trigger is very easy to shoot accurately, and it has the same pull every time. No safety, no decocker, no protrusions other than sights and slide stop... As a CCW/defensive handgun, it's easy to shoot, easy to conceal, and easy to draw.

Cheers,

M