The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 27, 2010, 09:24 AM   #1
straight-shooter

Bullet Sabot Combo

I'm finding that it would be cheaper to purchase bullets and sabots for my muzzle loader separately.

Currently I'm shooting a 240gr Hornady XTP pistol bullet in a MMP sabot. Is anyone else here doing the same thing and if so, what combo are you using with good success ?

Also I'm thinking about shooting cast lead bullets from a sabot. If anyone is doing this, what mold are you using ?

Finally another option would be a sabotless projectile like a 300gr T/C Maxi-Ball. Anyone having success with these ?

Can't help but look for accuracy at a lower price which at times can be difficult.
Old November 30, 2010, 06:51 PM   #2
straight-shooter

Wow, must be nobody willing to give up their secret sabot bullet combo ?
Old December 1, 2010, 11:54 AM   #3
Pahoo

You deseve a reply and can only relate to what I have done or am doing. You have covered a lot of ground in a few words. I'll do my best to respond. I'm assuming you are working with a .50 M/L ......
Quote:
I'm finding that it would be cheaper to purchase bullets and sabots for my muzzle loader separately.
It surely is and Have gotten away from paying high prices when I don't have to. I've see a lot of guys going through these high end projectiles, one blister pack after another. They are not cheap but as a "Regressive", I sure am. ..
Quote:
Currently I'm shooting a 240gr Hornady XTP pistol bullet in a MMP sabot. Is anyone else here doing the same thing and if so, what combo are you using with good success ?
These are some of my more expensive projectiles, in .44 Pistol. .430 into a 44/50 Hornady Sabot.
Quote:
Also I'm thinking about shooting cast lead bullets from a sabot. If anyone is doing this, what mold are you using ?
I do this also and most of my Sabot range-time is with these. That would be a .44 cal Semi-Wad Cutter, hard cast 240gr. .430 and again, in the same .44/50 Sabot. I don't cast these and instead buy them in bulk pack of 500.
Quote:
Finally another option would be a sabotless projectile like a 300gr T/C Maxi-Ball. Anyone having success with these ?
Yes, I do or have done these as well. That would be 370 Maxi-Ball, the 365 Maxi-Hunter. The R.E.A.L. but don't care for these. Of all of these conicals, I prefer the Maxi-Hunter and they kick like a mule. That's a lot of mass to push. ..
As far as propellants go, currently loading 90-95 grs. of 777, FFFG. as I still have a lot of that. Have heard great things about Black-Horn 209. This is my hunting load and different from my target load. Oh yes, I use a Musket cap as well as a bore button, on top of my powder.

Understand that you will have to put in some range-time in order to develope what works best for you and your M/L. Just too many variables. ....
Hope it helps and lots of luck. ......

As always, Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; December 1, 2010 at 12:00 PM.
Old December 1, 2010, 08:40 PM   #4
straight-shooter

Excellent reply and thank you for taking the time to post it. I have some semi-wad cutters on hand right now and will try some of those. I ordered both .44/.50 and .45/.50 sabots so I can try some different combos. Kind of surprised a short .45 wad cutter would stabilize but am looking forward to giving it a try.

Thanks again as this gives me a better understanding of combos to try.
Old December 2, 2010, 07:58 AM   #5
thallub

What Pahoo said.

The Hornady 240 grain .430 XTP is a fine hunting bullet: Two of my guns are sighted for it. i've killed over 20 deer and a couple hundred wild hogs with that bullet. The sabot that i prefer is a short black one that was sold by Traditions: Can't find it any more. Am currently using the smooth sabot and crush rib sabot from Harvester. Both are good sabots. My bullets and sabots are bought in bulk on order to save money.

My Encore likes the 250 grain SST/Shockwave bullet. This bullet is much more expensive than the Hornady .430 bullet: However, found a bunch of them on sale at Wal-Mart for $6.00 for twenty.

The full bore bullet that i use is the Hornady 350 grain FPB. My Encore shoots those bullets and the 250 grain SST/Shiockwave to the same point of aim. That bullet knocks big boar hogs dead in their tracks. My FPB bullets were also bought on sale at Wal-Mart for a fraction of their normal price.

My favorite powder is Goex Pinnacle. It is no longer being made.

Straight Shooter, good luck to you with your muzzleloader experience.
Old December 2, 2010, 10:27 AM   #6
Pahoo

Quote:
I have some semi-wad cutters on hand right now and will try some of those.
One thing I forgot to add and taken for granted, is that you need to remove the lube or buy unlubed. Then clean wipe them off with mineral spirits. My favorite sabot projectile, is one that was sold by Cabelas, that they no longer sell. It had a boattail and lead. These were much like the "Cheap-Shot" that TC sells. I have also shot the Buffalo lubed conicals and they shoot quite well.

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; December 3, 2010 at 11:21 AM.
Old December 2, 2010, 11:16 PM   #7
Eagle Keeper

This works for me, a box of XTP 300gr. .45cal @ $23.00 .
90gr of 777, for loose powder, feeling lazy, 2-50gr. pyrodex pellets.
Use a musket cap for fire.
shooting a Remmington 700ml with a Simmions 2x7.
Granulated powder gives me better groups where as the pellets are a little loose about 2" high.
Haven't taken any whitetails with the XTP in .45cal., but have used Speer 300gr. .44cal. jsp and have taken two deer, about 80-100yds. shots, one spine shot/ double lung other, both were pass throughs.
The sabots are of diffrent color and thickness for the diffrent calibers, shooting a .50cal ml/ black sabot for .45cal projectiles, green for .44cal. projectiles, a box of each last me some years of shooting, hope this helps you out, and thanks for the time.
Old December 4, 2010, 12:53 PM   #8
uwtriguy

Just found some Hornady XTP .44 300gr Sabots at my local sporting shop in the sale bin for 6.50 per 20 round box. Oh happy days!