The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 3, 2000, 09:10 PM   #1
Stan Foster

Does anyone out there know of a good alligator hunt guide in either Florida, or Louisiana? I have checked out the ones on the search engines but would like to have more choices. Thanks
Old September 4, 2000, 12:40 AM   #2
bk40

where in the hell is FUD when you need him?
Old September 4, 2000, 01:47 AM   #3
Dangus

My guide would consist of diagrams on how to run when you step in the wrong pond, lol.

Seriously some folks I know that have done a bit of gator hunting have recommended that you take a spear of some sort with you because they are good for exploring around where you need to wade, and they are good for chasing off aligators you don't plan to kill.

------------------
The Alcove

I twist the facts until they tell the truth. -Some intellectual sadist

The Bill of Rights is a document of brilliance, a document of wisdom, and it is the ultimate law, spoken or not, for the very concept of a society that holds liberty above the desire for ever greater power. -Me
Old September 5, 2000, 07:27 AM   #4
FUD

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bk40: where in the hell is FUD when you need him? [/quote]"... Here I come to save the day ..."

I can't tell you how to hunt them (actually, I believe that hunting gators in Florida is illegal ... <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RepublicThunderbolt: ... <A HREF="http://www.leg.state.fl.us/citizen/documents/statutes/StatuteBrowser99/index.cfm?mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&url=CH0372/SEC663.HTM" TARGET=_blank>372.663 Illegal killing, possessing, or capturing of alligators or other crocodilia or eggs; confiscation of equipment.--

(1) It is unlawful to intentionally kill, injure, possess, or capture, or attempt to kill, injure, possess, or capture, an alligator or other crocodilian, or the eggs of an alligator or other crocodilian, unless
authorized by the rules of the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. Any person who violates this section is guilty of a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084, in addition to such other punishment as may be provided by law. Any equipment, including but not limited to weapons, vehicles, boats, and lines, used by a person in the commission of a violation of any law, rule, regulation, or order relating to alligators or other crocodilia or the eggs of alligators or other crocodilia shall, upon conviction of such person, be confiscated by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission and disposed of according to rules and regulations of the commission. The arresting officer shall promptly make a return of the seizure, describing in detail the property seized and the facts and circumstances under which it was seized, including the names of all persons known to the officer who have an interest in the property.</A> ...[/quote]... but I can tell you where to find them -- just come into my neighborhood anytime after a HEAVY rain and you'll be sure to spot one or two of them ...

Regards,
FUD Share what you know & learn what you don't

------------------
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jimmy: ... FUD is no less fortunate than anyone else. Instead, he's unusually observant and analytical. Therefore he sees the risks and threats that surround everyone, even though most people are unaware of them ...[/quote]

[This message has been edited by FUD (edited September 05, 2000).]
Old September 5, 2000, 11:19 AM   #5
bk40

never had a chance to hunt gators...

but, back in my high school days my buddies and me would "run" up and down the Yocna River bottoms..... engaging in the primitive art/science of beaver whompin'

lemmme tell you, beavers are tough critters!

Old September 6, 2000, 08:46 AM   #6
Ric

Actually, alligator season in florida is now through Oct 7th.

Alligators have been hunted legally in Florida since 1988. Permits are issued by lottery (10,006 applications last year for 729 permits). Permit holders may take 2 animals, providing each exceeds 18" (that's inches not feet !) in length. Resident license fees are $250, non-resident $1000.

Firearms other than handheld bangsticks are not allowed. Handheld bangsticks may be used to "dispatch" 'gators held by restraining lines.

A popular hunting method is hand-thrown, tethered harpoon from an airboat at night, hauling the gator in close and finishing with a 12 ga bangstick. I'm told it's great fun - but haven't been lucky enough to win a permit yet.

Details, training manaul, permit apps and lots of other great info at:

http://wld.fwc.state.fl.us/gators/

-ric
Old September 6, 2000, 08:11 PM   #7
Stan Foster

Thanks Ric for your reply.
Old September 6, 2000, 08:30 PM   #8
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Stan - there is an article in the latest "Sporting Clasics" (I think) about alligator hunting. I cannot locate the mag, when I do, I'll post the issue, etc. Ric has it right.

Giz
Old September 7, 2000, 11:23 AM   #9
Ric

Stan: I'll ask around for guide recommendations. The regs allow permit holders to hire "agents" to assist for a $50 license fee. Permit holder must be present during the hunt.

There is also a private land hunt program but it's difficult to qualify land for it, as it requires a population count (100+ animals min.) or ownership of at least 1000 acres of "gator habitat"

Here's a pointer to an article from my local newspaper about last years hunt..sigh....maybe next year for me.
http://www.sunone.com/news/articles/09-12-99e.shtml

-ric
Old September 7, 2000, 04:36 PM   #10
Stan Foster

Ric: Thanks alot. I apreciate your effort. I am land locked up here in Illinois and my big thing is squirrel huinting. I hunt with my Glock 23 with a Lasermax in it. I just have always had an urge to try alligator hunting once.