The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 8, 2009, 05:06 PM   #1
cz223

Holo/Red-dot sight for AR-15

I am looking for some type of quick aquistion red dot sight to munt on an AR possibly a Saiga as well. I am not looking to spend a fortune, about $200 is what I think I can afford, maybe a little more. I have been looking at two that might fit the bill.

The first is the Bushnell Trophy MP: It apears to be rugged and look a lot like an Acog. The downside is that that the only available reticle is the T-Dot. Upside is that the reticle can be made red or green.

The Second is the ATN Reflex red dot: The only real downside that I see to this unit is that it really doen't look all that Rugged. The upides are that it has five different reticles, if you like that sort of thing and I do. The 11 different intensity settings go from very dim to very bright and bold. The settings switches are handy and east to use. Adjustment seems simple enough.

Tell me what you think about my two choices. What other options are there?
Old March 11, 2009, 06:54 PM   #2
SNFullerAK

Well you know you can spen 200 or a little more and get a good red dot or reflex sight, but im going to be honest with you save a little more money and splurge the wxtra bit and go with like an EOTech 512 reflex ($399) or an AimPoint 9000 red dot Tube (somewhere between $350 and $400) you will be much happeir with either of them. There is a reason why those are two brands that the military uses. Both are very rugged and will take a beating more than you can dish out! I just got an EOTech 512 and im am absolutely amazed with its performance! not even to menchine that if you have a fixed front sight you do not need a raiser with the EOTech. Hope this helps a bit.

V/R
SN Fuller
US Coast Guard
Old March 13, 2009, 08:13 AM   #3
AK103K

I agree with SNFullerAK, save your money and pay a little more, it will be cheaper in the long run.

I'm an Aimpoint fan myself. They have an unbelievable battery life (Id dont bother turning mine off), and offer some options the others dont. They also work well with the Saiga's using an Ultimak rail.

I've used Bushnell, Tasco, Haako, and a few others, and they didnt hold up to moderate use/abuse. With the money I spent fooling around with the cheaper sights (and they werent all that cheap), I could have bought another Aimpoint or two and some accessories.

You didnt mention what type of AR you have. Mounts for the AR's (as well as other rifles) can cost as much or more than some of the cheaper dot sights.
Old March 13, 2009, 08:32 AM   #4
GLK

I have to agree with SN and AK. I went with less expensive 2 or 3 times and it turns out not too be less expensive. I finally ended up with a EOTech 553 and could have owned it or something similar years ago with what I wasted trying to save money. I personally prefer the EOTech but many of the brave young men who kick in doors and hunt terrorist(which I don't)for a living swear by ACOG and AimPoint
Old March 13, 2009, 09:22 AM   #5
ragwd

I love my Eotech 512, got it on gun broker for 290. It was a demo at some shop. I really have no experience on the others that you mentioned.