The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 15, 2015, 05:00 PM   #1
Hunter Customs

Old Double Barrel

I have a friend that has a auction service, I been helping him a lot with auctions.

We did one today that had a lot of guns.

One of the guns was an old Ansley H Fox, side by side 12 gauge, with double triggers.

The bores are nice and smooth no pitting, the wood has a few small dings, the old gun locks up tight, the gun over all is in pretty darn good condition.

Even though this one is a 12 gauge, it balances so well it's almost like shouldering a 20 gauge.

There was not a lot of interest in it I don't believe most if any of the people there knew what they were looking at.

I've always had a weakness for the old well made doubles, even though I did not need another gun the old girl followed me home.
Old August 15, 2015, 07:21 PM   #2
TomADC

I have one dates to 1913 as noted well balanced. Yours have the Philly fluid steel barrels?
Old August 15, 2015, 08:57 PM   #3
hartcreek

Cant blame you it would have followed me home too as it is quite easy load up rounds for them on a cheep Lee Load All and then be in the field with something different that shoulders well.
Old August 16, 2015, 08:04 AM   #4
Hunter Customs

Quote:
Yours have the Philly fluid steel barrels?
The inscription on the right barrel reads "Krupp Fluid Steel Made By" and the left barrel inscription reads " A H Fox Gun Co Phila Pa".

The gun has some light engraving in several places.

I have not broke the gun down to the three main pieces to read any proof marks on the under side of the barrels or the receiver yet.

At one time I had a good collection of old double barrels (40 of them) old LC Smiths, Parkers and others, I got tired of trying to store them and keep them wiped down so I sold them.

This is the first A H Fox I ever owned.
Old August 16, 2015, 08:39 AM   #5
FITASC

Without pics, it didn't happen! I can't believe folks let an AH Fox get away. Most consider Fox and LeFever to have been the best US double gun makers, even better than Parker and Winchester,
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 16, 2015, 05:07 PM   #6
Hunter Customs

Quote:
Without pics, it didn't happen!
I understand about the pics, if and when I get the time I'll try to get some and have my son size them so I can post them, however he's busier then I am so I don't know when that will happen.

I did break the gun down for a good cleaning and oiling.

It has a five digit serial number followed by an A which I believe would be the grade.

It has no choke markings on the underside of the 32 inch barrels, it does have a proof test mark.

I measured the bores at the muzzle end of the barrels the right barrel measures 0.709 the left measures 0.693, I assume it may be modified and full.

I going to do some research and see if I can find the year of manufacture by using the serial number.

I've done that with an old Winchester model 12 I have, it was manufactured in 1914.
Old August 17, 2015, 08:42 AM   #7
TomADC

Not sure if you've been here lots of info.

http://www.foxcollectors.com/ah_fox/content/

Old August 17, 2015, 09:24 AM   #8
Hunter Customs

TomADC, thanks I'll check it out and see if I can get the gun dated.
Old August 19, 2015, 08:42 AM   #9
Hunter Customs

Well it looks like my A H Fox dates to 1909.

Dove season is due to start September 1st, I may have to take the old gal out for a little pass shooting.

For years and years all my bird hunting was done with old double guns, it feels good to have one in my hands again.
Old August 19, 2015, 08:51 AM   #10
FITASC

Make sure of your chamber length - many guns at that time were 2-1/2, 2-9/16 and shooting modern 2-3/4 could result in a nasty pressure spike because the hull mouth doesn't get to open all the way.

Both RST and Polywad have loads for older guns and guns with shorter chambers
Be safe and have some fun on opening day
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 19, 2015, 02:23 PM   #11
Hunter Customs

FITASC, thanks for the info on the two shotshell manufactures making the shorter shells.

I knew about the shorter chambers as some of my previous old doubles had them, most were 2-9/16.

From what I've been able to find out, A H Fox claimed their chambers to be for 2-3/4 inch shells but the chambers were 1/8 inch short and actually measure 2-5/8 inch.

I think a case of Polywad 2-1/2 inch shells is in the future.