The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 8, 2015, 12:22 PM   #1
mellow_c

need to know... Winchester deffender, wood. value etc.

A couple questions...

Are there any extended action lock levers available for the Winchester 1300? I've done some searching but came up with nothing. If so could you provide a link?

I found a 1300 Defender with wood stocks that is supposed to be unfired and comes with it's box at my local pawn shop. They are asking $330 for it. The gun is nice, but reminds me of a Mossberg maverick 88 in terms of fit and finish, and that's a $220 gun. The Defender is 7+1. I have always wanted a pump shotgun with wood stocks... should this be it? At what price?

I felt like the slide/action lock lever didn't stick out far enough (yes, with the action closed) it worked just fine but was more difficult to use than your average Mossberg, or even the Stevens I had recently.

I'm going to look at it again today. I should have posted this last night Thanks.
Old August 8, 2015, 01:42 PM   #2
Virginian

The 1300s were better than the 1200s, that's about all I can say for them. Felt good, but plenty of problems. The 'Winchester' SXP made in Turkey for FN is two generations removed from the 1300, there's a reason for that. Now someone is going to come along and tell you that theirs is a fantastic gun. They did make some that have been good. They also made way too many that weren't.
Old August 8, 2015, 04:17 PM   #3
tangolima

1200 and 1300 are basically the same guns, with a few differences of course. 1200 has steel receiver. 1300 has aluminum receiver with glossy finish. All things considered, I like 1300 better, lighter, more refined and has more of the bugs fixed.

I think the Winchester is a better gun than mossberg, not that I dislike the later. It has rotational multi lugs locking into recesses in the barrel extension, which is exceptionally strong. Its speed pump feature makes it cycles a bit faster than most designs, almost as fast as bump fire. True that the early production guns had a few issues, but they were corrected in later versions, and they are not difficult to fix either.

One bad thing about the Winchester is that they don't make them any more. Parts are getting hard to get even though they are still mostly available.

$330 is a bit over prized. They should be below $300. $250 is good.

-TL
Old August 8, 2015, 06:23 PM   #4
mellow_c

I'm a little frustrated because I let myself get taken by about $30-$40... But so it goes. A current gun pricing book showed that shotgun as being worth $270 in 100% condition which it is. So after tax and the Colorado state background check fee I should have been out the door for $300.

I was out the door for $300 however I also was trading in 4 brand new Factory Remington R1 magazines that I didn't want. I figure they were worth about $10 a piece in trade. So it's like I was out the door with the shotgun with about $340 into it.

Like I said, I think I got taken a bit on the deal, but oh well... it's an unfired gun from probably the 90's. Came with a box, but no manual... I wanted it, now I have it.

I'd still like to find a slightly extended action lock lever for it.
Old August 8, 2015, 06:34 PM   #5
marquez.3.16

Winchester 1300 Defenders are excellent pump action shotguns. I own one, but modified.
Old August 8, 2015, 06:48 PM   #6
tangolima

It is not too bad. It is a good gun. Try practicing speed pump, and you may like it.

I haven't felt the need to have a bigger action unlock button. If you so desire, you can bend the action unlock lever a bit to have the button sticking out more.

Enjoy!

I have 2 myself. One have short riot barrel for home defense, and the other has long barrel with multi choke for occasional trap and skeet. Both of them are over 20 years old. Never have any problem. It can handle the stoutest magnum load that I dare to shoot.

-TL
Old August 8, 2015, 06:52 PM   #7
eastbank

the winchester 1200 doesn,t have a steel reciever, its the same as the 1300. eastbank.
Old August 8, 2015, 07:07 PM   #8
tangolima

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastbank View Post
the winchester 1200 doesn,t have a steel reciever, its the same as the 1300. eastbank.
I think you are right. I have 2 1300 with aluminum receivers. My neighbor has a 1200 with stainless steel receiver. That's how I got the impression. Now I remember he has the marine model. I stand corrected.

-TL
Old August 8, 2015, 07:17 PM   #9
mellow_c

tangolima,

Good call... I can probably just bend it a bit. When it comes time for a full disassembly and cleaning I'll probably try and do that.

Thanks.

Incase anyone is interested. This is what the gun looks like.

http://www.gunlistings.org/ohio-gun-..._defender_12ga
Old August 8, 2015, 07:30 PM   #10
tangolima

Good deal. Looks like a later model than mine. Detailed disassembly could be a bit tricky when it comes to the hammer spring. It has a special plastic bushing that rotate the axial to active the action lock. Go slow.

-TL
Old August 9, 2015, 05:11 AM   #11
eastbank

i only use my 1300 turkey for turkey as i like the weight and lenth, so it may only get 4-5 shells shot a year. a simple wipe down and a barrel swabbing is all i do after season. i do clean the trigger group every three. eastbank.
Old August 11, 2015, 03:23 AM   #12
mellow_c

Well,
I've taken it apart completely except for the trigger group...

I love this gun.
Such a great design. The bolt is so easy to disassemble, but not so much to put back together. It's all so simple though. It seams pretty robust.

The fact that it opens upon firing in a way that "assists' your pump is nice if your expecting it.. Or get used to it.

It looks good... cleaned up good. Perfect brand new condition. Made in the USA. No one's cleaned this gun, it came brand new like this with a bunch of hair (blankets? Cats?) and factory grease on it.

The wood looks good
Old August 11, 2015, 04:59 AM   #13
Virginian

Just so you know, that whole Speed Pump thing is pure marketing. All pump shotguns unlock upon firing and recoil helps get the fore end going back. My Wingmaster will eject shells if I shoot it one handed. It seems to me the record for shooting aerial clay targets was set with a Benelli pump. It's the Indian, not the bow.
Old August 14, 2015, 12:53 PM   #14
mellow_c

I had a Stevens for a bit that is the same design as the Winchester. The way the action opened upon firing was VERY noticeable and I wasn't sure I even liked it. I had a Mossberg with me that day too, and after shooting the Stevens so much, going back to the Mossberg was difficult because I was wasn't expecting to have to work the action as much as I did.
When shooting the Stevens with slugs the action would come all the way back! I felt like if I could install a recoil spring in there somewhere the Stevens would have become a semi auto with slugs! Hah.

Right now I'd say I prefer the feel of the action on Remingtons and Mossbergs, but I'm sure I will get used to the Winchester, and I will enjoy having something that's different.
Old August 15, 2015, 07:53 AM   #15
tangolima

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellow_c View Post
I had a Stevens for a bit that is the same design as the Winchester. The way the action opened upon firing was VERY noticeable and I wasn't sure I even liked it. I had a Mossberg with me that day too, and after shooting the Stevens so much, going back to the Mossberg was difficult because I was wasn't expecting to have to work the action as much as I did.
When shooting the Stevens with slugs the action would come all the way back! I felt like if I could install a recoil spring in there somewhere the Stevens would have become a semi auto with slugs! Hah.

Right now I'd say I prefer the feel of the action on Remingtons and Mossbergs, but I'm sure I will get used to the Winchester, and I will enjoy having something that's different.
You mean the gun pumps back by itself upon firing without you applying backward force on the forearm? That is not kosher. It is not speed pump all about.

A pump shotgun should never pump itself. It is dangerous as chamber pressure may still be too high when the action unlocks. That's why most shotgun designs require the forearm be pumped forward slightly before being pumped back by the shooter. This slows down the opening of the action.

Speed pump allows the forearm be pumped back as soon as the hammer drops. But the action doesn't start to open till the forearm travels back an inch or so. This is the way the action opening is delayed. But backward force on the forearm is always needed to pump the gun. It does NOT pump itself.

-TL