The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 23, 2015, 08:08 PM   #1
MarkCO

T/C Impact, .50 caliber

This summer, I got a TC Impact and went straight to Blackhorn 209. I started at 70 units (volume) and worked up to 110 with Green Powerbelt 245HPs. I dropped back to 100 units and that gave me about 2" groups at 100 yards that were about 3" high. No swabbing of the barrel, I had the same group size after 20 rounds as I did at the start. Cleaned with Montana Extreme BH209 cleaner and a .50 cal Bore-Tip. I cleaned the Bore Tip and reused it several times. I use Winchester 209 primers because that is what I had. All in all, it was pretty painless and was much cleaner, faster and simpler than the Hawkins 50 caliber I used back 20 some odd years ago.

I do have a few questions:

1. I have surmised that the T/Cs are not supposed to shoot conicals all that well. Is that true for the Impacts, or did I get lucky?

2. I did not foul the barrel with a primer after cleaning and used a clean bore for 1st shots. Is there any problem with that given the components I am using? With the Hawkin, I did foul the bore because I was told that is what you do.

3. I was about 3" high of POA at 100 yards, but had lowered the rear sight all the way. Is that typical and is there a solution that is simple with the stock sights to get a 100 yard zero or should i just roll with it? In CO, so optics not legal to hunt.

4. I have not seen anyone use or recommend Win 209 primers, and some say they are not good. Does that still hold with BH209?

If you have not tried BH209, it sure seems like a great step forward to me.
Old September 24, 2015, 12:36 AM   #2
FrontierGander

Winchester W209 primers will work fine and may be cleaner in the TC rifles as they seem to fit the TC "head spacing" a little better.

W209, CCI, CCI 209M, Federal 209a primers will all work reliably with BH209. I prefer to use a HOT primer and so I use the CCI 209M primers since I have a few thousand of them. No failures in a LONG time.

I certainly would up the weight of the powerbelt since you are using a 110gr BH209 load. Thats a very hot load for a puny bullet like that. If you used the 250gr Aerolite, I think you'd like the harvest results much better. That or the 270-300gr Platinum Powerbelt.

Jonathan
Old September 24, 2015, 07:48 AM   #3
MarkCO

I did go to 110 units, but dropped back to 100 as they were more accurate.

Will try the Aerolite, thanks.
Old September 24, 2015, 08:03 AM   #4
Doyle

Try a different bullet. I've seldom seen Powerbelts group well in anything other than a CVA. My favorite is the Hornady SST.
Old September 24, 2015, 09:04 AM   #5
MarkCO

I hunt in CO. Sabots are not allowed, so the SST is not an option. The 300 grain Hornady FPB is an option, but I could not find them in stock anywhere and I also did not want to go to 300 grains. If that is THE bullet, will certainly try them. I have 11 months before the next season.

I am not sure I can get much better with open sights and almost 50 year old eyes anyway. 2" at 100 is not bad.