The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 17, 2013, 12:45 PM   #1
kahlds

Glock 19 sights

Any suggestions on after market sights for my G19 gen 4? Right now I have the stock factory sights and have had many people at our local range recommend changing them out. Thanks in advance for the advice.
Old May 17, 2013, 12:51 PM   #2
loose_holster_dan

you don't like the sights? the sights are the ONLY thing i liked about the glock 19.
that being said, you can't go wrong with trijicon.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old May 17, 2013, 01:06 PM   #3
Kevin_d77

Just put Tridjicon HD's on my XD40 and love them. Got the orange ring front sight and even that part glows at night. Much nicer than my Meprolights
Old May 17, 2013, 01:19 PM   #4
Spats McGee
Staff

I heard something interesting a couple of weeks ago. Mind you, I have not been able to verify this, so everyone is free to call it speculation if they'd like. However, my source of information is one that I consider very reliable. Anyway, what I was told is that there's only one maker for the tritium vials that go in night sights, which means that the only real difference from one brand to the next is the housing in which the vials go.

FWIW, which may not be much. . . .
Old May 17, 2013, 02:03 PM   #5
kahlds

Loose Holster:

I actually do like the sights. However, people at our local range are a little critical of them............ being plastic etc. Consensus seems to be that an aftermarket sight yields more accurate results......... easier to acquire target etc. This is a private range run by "professionals/ex military etc" so I do value their opinion.................. just want more input.
Old May 17, 2013, 02:30 PM   #6
blfuller

I'd avoid a tritium sight unless you will be using it for low light conditions. If you are target shooting I would just get standard sights and if you are doing home defense get a light. I have a set of Heinie serrated Ledge sights on my Glock 35.

Old May 17, 2013, 04:17 PM   #7
ninjaamt

I was thinking the same thing a while ago with my G19gen4 in which I have replaced/up-graded practically everything. I went with Amerglo nite sights which are fairly cool, but as one person suggested, for target and general shooting the stock sights are pretty good. Actually I may go back to them for a while. You should go on the forum called "Glock Talk" and you will get lots of good info and suggestions.
Old May 17, 2013, 04:24 PM   #8
labhound

I actually like the factory stock Glock sights on my 19 Gen 3. I find it easier to acquire the target than using my other pistols that have white three dot or trijicon night sights.
Old May 17, 2013, 04:35 PM   #9
Theohazard

Quote:
I'd avoid a tritium sight unless you will be using it for low light conditions
I disagree. There are plenty of sights that work great in the daytime but also have tritium inserts for low-light use.

My EDC is a Glock 19. I have Trijicon HD sights on it. In the daytime, it's a very bright orange dot up front with a flat black U-notch rear sight. My eye is drawn to the high-visibility orange front and the black rear sight leaves enough room around the front for fast, yet precise shooting. At night, I can't really see the orange front and lining the sights up is difficult, so three tritium dots makes it a lot easier in low light conditions.
Old May 17, 2013, 04:49 PM   #10
g.willikers

If you use the gun a lot, especially drawing from the holster, or shooting around barricades, the plastic sights will eventually let you down.
But fiber optics and such can, too.
It all depends on what you do with it.
The sights that hold up the best are all steel, if you need them to be really durable.
Old May 17, 2013, 07:03 PM   #11
jfrey

I have Dawson Precision sights on all my Glocks. They have any style you want and quality is very high on everything they make.
Old May 17, 2013, 07:31 PM   #12
shrewd

If this is a carry or hard use gun, go steel.

I'd recommend xs big dot sights or 10-8s
Old May 17, 2013, 10:25 PM   #13
bledsoeG19

I have XS big dots on my G19. Love them. Just ordered glock factory night sights for my G32. Both sight systems are all steel. I'll let you know what I think of the glock sights when they arrive in a few days.
Old May 18, 2013, 09:07 AM   #14
ClydeFrog

Glock & roller...

The topic of "what sights should I buy" comes up a lot on firearm message boards & forums.
I'd look at the Warren, XS, Novak tritium, & Trijicon HD night sights(green & orange).
These systems are highly rated & in use by armed professionals/concealed carry license holders.
I'd say the Trijicon HD sights could be the best choice, but your tastes/budget may be different.
See; www.novaksights.com www.trijicon.com www.glockbooks.com www.customizeyourglock.com www.bowietacticalconcepts.com www.brownells.com www.glockstore.com .

Clyde F
Old May 18, 2013, 04:11 PM   #15
Noreaster

I just took a class sponsored by XS. I can't imagine using them for bulleyes shooting but I have to say they are quick and deadly on human silhouette targets. I'm giving serious thought to using them for IDPA. I would go with the standard dot over the big dot.
Old May 18, 2013, 11:38 PM   #16
CUBAN REDNECK

I would recommend the Ameriglo ghost ring sights. I put them on my Glock 19, great for target acquisition. http://www.kingdomarms.com/store/ind...oducts_id=1539
Old May 19, 2013, 03:24 PM   #17
Japle

TFOs. I have them on my Glocks and XDs. Good during day and night.

Old May 19, 2013, 10:19 PM   #18
Terry A

I have Trijicon on my Glocks and Sprigfields. The only thing is after 8-10 years, they'll need replaced, as they do dull down over time.
2 Thes 3:16 "Now may the Lord of peace Himself continually grant you peace in every circumstance. The Lord be with you all! "