The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 22, 2011, 10:12 AM   #1
dekova

Non-Cast Bullet... Recommendations?

I'm not currently a reloader but I'm looking into it to see if it's something I'd want to pursue. My primary motivator is to save money reloading target ammo for a .40SW Glock 27.

Lead cast bullets are the cheapest but I'm told that Glocks don't like cast bullets. I'm trying to find another reasonably cheap, Glock worthy bullet so I can figure out the price difference between my reloads and store bought.

I'm googling "plated bullets" and seeing prices in the $125 for 1000 range which is obviously more expensive than lead cast. Is there something a bit more economical that I could look at?

I'm sure this has been covered before and I did some poking around via search but didn't find the answer I was looking for. Thanks for suffering another new guy's questions.
Old September 22, 2011, 10:32 AM   #2
Jimro

You won't know if your pistol doesn't like cast bullets until you try it. And I can't think of a more economical alternative to Berry's plated bullets that isn't cast.

Jimro
Old September 22, 2011, 10:36 AM   #3
TMD

Over 7000 rounds of lead through my G35 without issue.
Old September 22, 2011, 11:10 AM   #4
black mamba

There aren't even a lot of cast lead bullets that are cheaper than 12.5¢ apiece anymore, unless you cast your own. And that requires equipment setup costs, plus more time to make them.

I would buy a hundred each of lead and plated, try them in your weapon, and then buy in bulk the one that shoots the best.
Old September 22, 2011, 11:33 AM   #5
Scimmia

Right now, I would check out Rocky Mountain Reloading, they're selling pulled FMJ 40 bullets cheap. It won't be a consistent supply, though, more of a one time thing.

Lead in a Glock requires you to pay more attention. They can be more prone to leading, and leading in a Glock can increase pressure faster than in a conventional barrel. As long as you use bullets and charges that minimize leading and pay close attention while shooting, you can shoot lead safely in a Glock.

As for lead prices, I don't know where black mamba's getting $0.125 for a minimum. I get most of mine from Missouri Bullet company, and my last order was $0.079 each for 180 grain 40 S&W including shipping.
Old September 22, 2011, 11:37 AM   #6
sourdough44

I'd shoot plated bullets. As far as the lead issue, no problems here, just keep things clean.
Old September 22, 2011, 01:10 PM   #7
Don P

Quote:
Over 7000 rounds of lead through my G35 without issue.
Not quite as many as the above. My range sessions of 200-300 rounds I have yet to have issues with lead. All I shoot is hard cast lead in calibers 38 spl, 357 mag, 9 mm, 40 S&W, and 45 acp.
My 2 Glocks are G26 and G36
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old September 22, 2011, 01:22 PM   #8
David Bachelder

I second Berry's plated bullets.

See: http://www.berrysmfg.com/
Old September 22, 2011, 01:27 PM   #9
Habaz72

Start checking the brass that you fire through your gun now for the "glock bulge" I've read so much about from .40 s&w glocks. Near the rim of the case where it would sit on the unsupported section where the feed ramp turns into the chamber.
Old September 22, 2011, 03:30 PM   #10
oldpapps

A good friend of mine has one of those ‘glocks’, I don’t like them (it’s personal). His will balk at Winchester 180 gr white box but it loves my 155 gr lead loads and gobbles them up.
Each weapon is a beast of its own. You will have to try some.
When loading, many things can and will change how an auto loader will function. But that is the fun in building your own loads for each of your weapons.

OSOK
Old September 23, 2011, 05:50 PM   #11
g.willikers

While this is for a Glock 9mm, maybe it has some benefit for a .40.
When I first started reloading with lead round nose in a Glock 17, it was looking like the naysayers, telling us that lead and Glocks don't go together, were right.
Inaccurate, key-holing, lead buildup, not good.
But, I somehow wound up with truncated cone, lead bullets a size larger than what 9mm reloaders usually use - .357, instead of .356.
End of problems.
Glock now shot excellent and very little leading.
The truncated cone design was longer than the round nose and, coupled with the larger diameter, must have been the ticket.
I don't know whether this info applies to the .40 or not, but it's something to consider, if your results with lead bullets aren't satisfactory.
Old September 24, 2011, 06:09 AM   #12
WESHOOT2

Glock load:

-sized case
-CCI500
-Rainier 180g TCJ-FP
-5.4g Power Pistol (start load; 6.0g for 930fps av)
-OAL 1.130" +/-.005"
Old September 24, 2011, 09:34 AM   #13
chris in va

Ironically, my Glock 21SF hasn't leaded at all, while my CZ 75 builds up pretty fast. Glock has a fairly unique polygonal design, the 'lands' actually look more like speed bumps on a road and don't seem to strip the bullet of lead like more traditional designs, like my Kahr. I can't fire more than a mag through it without needing to scrub it out, which is the main reason why it doesn't get used much at the range. I just can't justify the cost of jacketed bullets after casting thousands from wheelweights.