The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 25, 2001, 07:43 PM   #1
Red Label

Anyone here know any good ballistics resources on the internet for 12 gauge slugs or buckshot. I'm mainly interested in comparing the differences in the 2 3/4 inch shells vs the 3 inchers. My shoulder sure tells me there is a HUGE difference, but I have heard it said that there is not. I have been shooting mostly the Federal Classic rifled slugs in both sizes and the Winchester Super X's in 3". And I suppose this is another subject that's been beat to death here, but I missed it -- but is it preferrable to load 8 of the 2 3/4" in my Winchester 1300 Defender when in griz country, or 7 of the 3" shells? Slugs, 00, or a comination of both? I apologize if this is old hat -- just let me know and I will use the not often enough used "search" feature here...

Old February 26, 2001, 06:34 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Lots of old threads, here, Red,but some small points...

Capstick wrote about taking a Cape Buffalo with Brennekes, the 2 3/4", 1 1/4ox jobs. IIRC, they ended up fracturing the opposite side ribs and killed the Buick sized critter PDQ.

All 3" slugs will do the shorter ones won't is go through your money faster.

One guy I talk to periodically lives on Kodiak, got chewed on by a bear,and recommends a mixloaded 12 ga, slug,slug,00, 00,etc.

Some Rangers who trap and transport problem bears from National parks reputedly use pumps with slug,00,slug,00,etc.
Old February 26, 2001, 02:26 PM   #3
Red Label

Thanks Dave, I appreciate your input. I think I'll just save the 3" shells for impressing my friends who've never shot a shotgun before -- LOL.
Old February 26, 2001, 04:29 PM   #4
J. Parker

PMC just came out with some Brenneke's. It's 23/4" 1oz slug. You might try http://www.cheaperthandirt.com. That's where I got them. For me there's the HURT factor. Yesterday I shot two rounds of 3" magnum OObuck. First shot I got cracked in the cheekbone. Second shot was better but I really held on to Mossberg. I guess you pay to play.Best Regards, J. Parker