The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 6, 2013, 02:01 PM   #26
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Agree. And in the field, I don't either.

I reach up in and grab windpipe, pull it down as far as I can and cut it off without cutting ribs. Not only easier for me but have found out the hard way that those cut ribs can be very sharp.
That's one of the perks of hunting doe Antelope - it's a piece of cake to separate the ribs from the sternum, to get in there for the trachea and esophagus. Even on healthy 5+ year-old animals, you can separate them with a knife, and still have enough of an edge left to continue with the job at hand. (I've never had a need to split the pelvis on an antelope, but I don't think a knife would be sufficient.)

For animals like Elk, you had better have a hatchet or saw on hand, if you're going to separate the ribs. Even a good knife will only get you through 2, maybe 3 ribs, before the edge is completely toast. And splitting the pelvis? You'll be there for hours, if you don't have a saw or a good way to just break the bone.
Old November 6, 2013, 03:53 PM   #27
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Where I once worked they issued Kevlar gloves. Gee's a pair of those gloves saved me allot of cuts over the years in my cutting of those tough wind pipes on un-split chested deer.
Had a Cutco. But as said prior their blade is kind of on the brittle side. Sharp though. Sharpest knife I ever owned actually. Loaned it once to another and he broke the blade in half right in front of me while trying to split a rib cage on some old worn out swamp doe. Ouch that hurt!! Got it fixed under warranty and its blade chipped again while cutting thru a rabbits back of all things. Sent it in one more time and got another new blade and it got chipped trimming the bone out of a raw pork steak that same year. "Good bye Cutco I thought at the time." Hello my old friend the Wyoming knife and a older 5" folding lock back Rapala fillet knife. I'm thinking now that fillet knife may be a bit to long. Don't really need a 5" blade. Might give my little Chicago cutlery #33 lock blade folder a try this year instead. A little on the pointy side but it still should work good. And like all old Chicago knives it does hold an edge pretty darn well. I wonder how one of those Havalon's would work for gutting duty's?__ Seems like a few fellows here like them for skinning. But I got better knifes just for that purpose. By the way I don't split the pelvis either. Just the old typical ream job is what I pratice. Pull the anal tube out a little and tie it off with the same wire I use to tie my Site Kill Tag on with. Then pull the anal tube back thru the pelvis bone to the animals cavity when pulling the deer's innards out. {old school taught} Fillet knife works the best for that job. 5"s of blade and handle to use and shove up in there. Gee's I could get by using it on a Cape buffalo if we had any to hunt now that I think about it._

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Vintage...-/111192295277
Old November 6, 2013, 04:21 PM   #28
Panfisher

I used a butt out tool last year for the first time, took a little while to get the hang of it. I insert it, give it a twist to tighten it up, then cut aroun the anus like always, and another twist will start it loose. I then either tie it around the tool or leave it until I have open the body cavity and split the pelvis, it then becomes a handle to strip the anus right through the split pelvis, actually worked pretty well even if not how it is explained on the package. I have carried many different knives (I own way too many knives). A couple that are always close by are a Sheffield utility knife with a carpet hook blade, a Cold Steel Ultimate hunter folder, and next time a Gerber EZ zip or something like that. I also usually have an Old Timer Buzz Saw Trapper on my belt.
Old November 6, 2013, 04:44 PM   #29
jimbob86

Quote:
. I then either tie it around the tool or leave it until I have open the body cavity and split the pelvis, it then becomes a handle to strip the anus right through the split pelvis, actually worked pretty well even if not how it is explained on the package.
So ... you use the Butt-Out and split the pelvis? ..... and here I thought the whole point of that thing was to avoid the PITA of splitting the pelvis ........

FWIW, I generally use the trachea and esophagus as my "handle" .... grasping them with both hands (palms down, right above where the bronchi split, and giving them a 90+ degree bend by turning my hands are palmside up, to prevent them brom slipping) and ripping everthing out .... the viscera are really only firmly attached at the throat and anus, with some some soft connective tissue attachments along the spine that often dont even require cutting- just rip it all out.........
Old November 6, 2013, 07:38 PM   #30
BirchOrr

OK SSM asked...

... so here goes. First off, I bought my Dad an Old Timer exactly like Hawg's. He's carried it for years and loves it.

I had a knife custom made for me and have also used it for 30 yrs. or so. 100 yr. old English carbon steel, deer antler handle and razor sharp I might add.

Here's a pic of the badge.

I also carried this to split the tailbone until I got a "Butt-Out"

Interesting story about the Marbles "Safety Axe". When my Dad was in high school, he made money trapping. He made more money trapping than his Dad did working in skilled trades at the woolen mill. He told me of a hatchet he carried having a "sheath that flipped up out of the handle". I couldn't figure out what that was or looked like.

When I was 11, (1971) I had a paper route and delivered to most of the stores in town. The town hardware (still there) is one of the old fashioned ones with the rolling ladders and hundreds of drawers all the way to the ceiling full of parts & nuts and bolts. I went in to collect for the month and while waiting for the $$$ I looked down in the glass display case and behold was this pictured Marble's Safety Axe! They had been cleaning out an old storage area and found it. Not knowing what it was they put it out for sale. It was "new old stock"! I couldn't get the money out fast enough to buy it. I paid $7.00 for it at that time. My Dad flipped when I showed it to him!

Birch
Black Powder: Not because it is easy, but because it is hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win...

Last edited by BirchOrr; November 6, 2013 at 07:43 PM.
Old November 6, 2013, 10:41 PM   #31
Bigfatts

Until this year I have used a Gerber fixed blade of questionable construction as a beater woods knife. My new addiction for the last couple years has been knives and this year I finally got around to replacing my hunting setup. My go to belt knife will be a general purpose knife and good for the larger parts of hog dressing. The other is a small dedicated skinner in a better blade steel that should keep a good edge.

First one is a Muela Rhino. Sandvick blade and the most comfortable scalloped G10 handle I've ever felt

Skinner is a White River Knife & Tool Knucklehead. Small, light and SHARP. S30V should hold up well.

Sorry for the terrible cell pics.
Old November 7, 2013, 03:24 AM   #32
Brotherbadger

I use a Buck Omni Hunter fixed blade. I don't like folders simply because that's one more point where it can fail.

I've carried it for the past 8 years or so. I love it.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "
Old November 14, 2013, 08:16 PM   #33
Sure Shot Mc Gee

You gott'a love these cell phones now a days. Shot a big doe last Sunday. Son was in camp supposely 1/4ing up his deer and making supper for us at the time. Anyhow He called me on his cell while I was giving the deer I harvested some wait and see time up in the stand. {he heard my 270 bark as my stand is only a 1/4 mile away from the cabin.} Shortly after his call I got down from the stand. Here he comes Mario Andretti Junior II driving up the field towards me in his new HD Chevy. We than walked over to the deer I harvested and we both looked at each other and without a further word said!! We did the rock, scissors, paper deal and I beat him this time. So~o. He asked me for my fillet knife to field dressed it with. Kind'a reluctantly I gave it to him but I did make an effort to offer him that unusual orange plastic tool at that same moment to ease his job with. But apparently I pointed out or made a mistake on the proper entrance orifice. Son. He preferred to do the job without any specialize tooling and anymore of this old geezer's subversive humor and/or guidance as it was getting dark out. We rinsed out the doe after supper and dishes. But had to lift that bloody watery doe back up again and leave her in his brand new truck bed as the garage's hoist & gamble was still full of his deer from the day before. Apparently it wasn't a win win evening for him. But nor was it for me either. I ended up cleaning my own knife. And the following day I went and found that orange tool stuck in a ant hill. Well I made sure he'll see it again next year. I put it in his enclosed stand._

For deer reference size: I'm near 6'2" 270 lbs.
I think this doe is about 3-3-1/2 yrs old.

Last edited by Sure Shot Mc Gee; November 14, 2013 at 11:39 PM.