The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 30, 2013, 10:30 AM   #1
thallub

New Pro-Gun Democrat Senator

The senators name is Heidi Heitcamp and she represents North Dakota. Heitkamp will not support Obama's AWB scheme. Good on the lady.

Quote:
"...........,the president lost North Dakota by almost 22 percentage points and I was still elected the United States senator and I was elected because I promised people I was going to be their voice not the voice for a political party, not the voice for a president who happens to be in the same political party that I am but I am the voice for the people of North Dakota," Heitkamp says. "I'll make my decisions based on what I believe is in the best interest of the people of North Dakota, the people of this country. And if in six years people don't agree that I made the right choices, I'll find something else to do."
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/power-pl...115938898.html
Old January 30, 2013, 10:45 AM   #2
PawPaw

It's not surprising that a senator from a western state would be pro-gun. Here in the Deep South, lots of Democrats are pro-gun. In Louisiana, for example, our own Mary Landrieu is a staunch Democrat and has a "C" rating from the NRA, but I've never known her to hurt gun-owners. Yeah, she talks the party line, and I vote against her whenever I get the chance, but she hasn't really hurt us.

For that matter, the Senate Majority Leader, Harry Reid, scores a "B". He's smart enough to know that what makes good sound-bites in Washington will get you fired in Nevada.

Freedom crosses party lines.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old January 30, 2013, 11:30 AM   #3
CharlieDeltaJuliet

Great to hear.
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old January 30, 2013, 11:39 AM   #4
Technosavant

Quote:
He's smart enough to know that what makes good sound-bites in Washington will get you fired in Nevada.
I really think a bunch of Senators have been realizing this.

Missouri's own Claire McCaskill had originally talked up support for a ban, but her most recent response omits any mention of a ban (be it support for or opposition to). IMO, she realized she prefers her job to toeing the party line.

Contacting legislators DOES work. It is working now.
Old January 30, 2013, 12:50 PM   #5
Glenn E. Meyer

The news cant is now for more background checks and proper mental health reporting as first priority and then banning evil 'clips'. I've said before the former has a chance, the latter maybe but I don't think so. Feinstein bill - not going to happen.

The fallout of intense opposition to supposedly progun reps and senators in the next election will be telling.
Old January 30, 2013, 05:45 PM   #6
SIGSHR

I have long maintained that gun owners must be an independent bloc of voters that the GOP cannot take for granted and the Liberals cannot cross except at their peril.
Old January 30, 2013, 08:47 PM   #7
MrDontPlay

Good to hear that she's pro gun but...

Quote:
I'll make my decisions based on what I believe is in the best interest of the people of North Dakota
No, you vote the way you're told to vote by the people of north dakota. I'm not from there, just doesn't sound right to me.
Old January 31, 2013, 12:05 AM   #8
Closing The Gap

Quote:
Good to hear that she's pro gun but...

Quote:
I'll make my decisions based on what I believe is in the best interest of the people of North Dakota
I think she means she isn't going to tow the Democratic party line.

Quote:
On the topic of gun control, Heitkamp does not hesitate when asked if she'll support an assault weapons ban; her answer is a definitive no.
Is a profoundly more telling statement in my opinion. Plus the fact that she makes for 6 Dems opposed is a really good thing.

Last edited by Closing The Gap; January 31, 2013 at 12:19 AM.
Old February 1, 2013, 07:09 AM   #9
MLeake

MrDontPlay, the idea behind a representative democracy / republic is not that your representatives will always parrot the polls back home, but that your representatives will educate themselves on matters on a full-time basis, and combine what they learn with the opinions of their constituents.

If the intent had simply been to have representatives vote however the polls had gone, back home, on every issue then the founders would have drafted a democracy, as opposed to what they did create.

Now, there are potential penalties when representatives go against the wishes of the masses - IE they may not get reelected. A "statesman" is one who is willing to run that risk, when they truly think it is the right thing to do.
Old February 1, 2013, 07:19 AM   #10
mayosligo

Agreed MLeake. We lack statesmen today.
Old February 1, 2013, 11:17 AM   #11
teeroux

Quote:
our own Mary Landrieu is a staunch Democrat and has a "C" rating from the NRA, but I've never known her to hurt gun-owners. Yeah, she talks the party line, and I vote against her whenever I get the chance, but she hasn't really hurt us
No she's a snake and has hurt us in the past in non firearm related issues. Landieu is a party voter. She just knows what will cost her a job and what won't.
Old February 2, 2013, 03:07 PM   #12
mrbatchelor

Some democrats do look for birds of a feather in gun control issues.

http://www.facebook.com/dgocofmo
http://www.bluesteeldemocrats.org

The first link obviously isn't much help other than moral support if you don't live in MO.

And the number of states with Blue Steel Democrats organizations is small. But if one is a liberal Democrat looking for a home to roost, there's a link on their page about how to start a local chapter.

Every bit helps.
Old February 3, 2013, 11:57 AM   #13
Spats McGee
Staff

I took a look at the Blue Steel Democrats site. "Democrats don't want your guns. We've got our own." I like that!