The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 2, 2012, 01:46 PM   #1
Roland Thunder

Calculating the bell

I saw a video yesterday in which the author calculated the bell by using his calipers to measure the circumference of the case mouth before sizing and then repetitively adjusting the flare and measuring the circumference again until the new circumference is .020 greater than the original one.

Anybody use this method or have another one?
Old February 2, 2012, 02:30 PM   #2
FrankenMauser

Standard expander dies:
Insert case in shellholder.
Run into die.
Adjust die until it looks to be "just enough" to cleanly seat the bullet I'm using.
Done.

Lyman M dies:
Insert case in shellholder.
Run into die.
Adjust die until I feel the top of the second step.
Back off just far enough to accommodate the longest case in the group.
Done.
Old February 2, 2012, 02:38 PM   #3
Roland Thunder

yep, that's the way I do it too
Old February 2, 2012, 04:42 PM   #4
g.willikers

Isn't there some differences in case thickness, from the various brass manufacturers, and does it possibly cause a problem with this method?
Old February 2, 2012, 05:06 PM   #5
amathis

Wow! That seems a bit anal for practice round but I wonder how much it effects accuracy rounds. If it shows a marked improvement, perhaps its worth a try.

I eyeball it. Its not scientific but it works.
Old February 2, 2012, 05:22 PM   #6
Ideal Tool

Calculate?..measure outside case dia.? Why not just adjust M Die expander plug downward until bullet base just enters case?
Old February 2, 2012, 05:36 PM   #7
BigJimP

I use a less scientific method....

( if the bullet doesn't tip over easily in station 4 ....when I set the bullet on the case....or when I activate the press arm - its belled enough). If it tends to tip over...I bell it a little more...
Old February 2, 2012, 05:44 PM   #8
serf 'rett

Adjust as needed for bullet to start.
Old February 2, 2012, 08:06 PM   #9
jepp2

Quote:
until the new circumference is .020 greater than the original one.
The standard guidance by Dillon is 0.020" flare, but that it to get the powder measure to operate properly.

That is way more flare than I use. For jacketed rounds using a Dillon measure I flare 0.001 to 0.002" flare. But I run my measure differently than the current set up. I do not use the fail safe rod and I use springs (the way they used to sell them). For lead I flare about 0.003" to avoid shaving.

When I load for 357 Sig I don't flare at all.

To me a flare of 0.020" is going to shorten case life due to splits. But that's just me.

When I use a Lyman M die, I follow the manufacturers recommendation and only let the step enter the case 1/16". That is sufficient to get the bullet to stand up straight for seating.

I do measure the flare because I like to minimize the amount I work the neck. I am not saying that is necessary, but that is just the way I do it.
Old February 2, 2012, 08:13 PM   #10
higgite

Quote:
I use a less scientific method....

( if the bullet doesn't tip over easily in station 4 ....when I set the bullet on the case....or when I activate the press arm - its belled enough). If it tends to tip over...I bell it a little more...
What he said.
Old February 2, 2012, 09:05 PM   #11
wncchester

"Adjust as needed for bullet to start. "

There you go, that works fine and no caliper is needed.
Old February 2, 2012, 10:26 PM   #12
dickttx

Another +1 for BigJimP.
I increased my loading speed considerably on my LCT when I put a little more flare in the case mouth and quit fumbling around with the bullet.
What if it does shorten the case life. I have never worn out or split a 9mm or 45 ACP case, and I always come home with more than I went with.
I load all of mine with the same brand of brass in plastic boxes of 100. However, I don't make any adjustments from one brand to the next. I currently have 100 round boxes of Win, FC, R-P, Starline, PMC, and 1961/1971 mixed GI. They all shoot the same.
Old February 2, 2012, 11:49 PM   #13
1SOW

BigJimP, exactly.
Don't "over-engineer" a simple process.

You want the "minimum" bell that allows you to set the bullet on the case mouth and stay there until the seater die has done it's job.

Like reloading: Start low and slowly work up until your happy.
Old February 3, 2012, 12:08 AM   #14
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Isn't there some differences in case thickness, from the various brass manufacturers, and does it possibly cause a problem with this method?
If you're working with a single lot of brass from a single manufacturer, it isn't an issue.

You're not mixing brass are you? The safety Nazis will come get you.
Old February 3, 2012, 11:43 AM   #15
Roland Thunder

Quote:
Wow! That seems a bit anal for practice round but I wonder how much it effects accuracy rounds. If it shows a marked improvement, perhaps its worth a try.

I eyeball it. Its not scientific but it works.
This is the way I've always done it. I figure the guy that made the video must wear a pocket protector.
Old February 3, 2012, 02:08 PM   #16
amathis

Quote:
I figure the guy that made the video must wear a pocket protector.
When I was in college I worked in the IT department. (I know nerd alert. . . . .) We had 3-4 guys who always had pocket protectors. I always told them that was the only protection they would ever need. . . . .

I am seriously debating doing an experiment along the lines of seeing how many uses I can get out of a piece of brass belled to 0.002 compared to eyeballing it. I'd also be really curious to see if the accuracy is any different. I'll let you all know if I attempt this and then post back with results if I do.
Old February 4, 2012, 12:41 PM   #17
Crashbox

I set the belling for minimal bell- since I have used jacketed bullets from day one I don't mind holding the bullet while on the upstroke to seat it. Sometimes the fingers get squeezed but that's life.

I should mention I'm only talking about my .357 Magnum cases; if/when I start to load for my .405 Chestwhipper or 6.5 Roberts I might change my approach.
Old February 4, 2012, 12:51 PM   #18
m&p45acp10+1

When using cast bullets I set it where I do not get lead shavings. If I wear cases out faster I am ok with that. I can pick up more at the range. I have never had a .45 acp, or .38 spcl split yet. With .41 mag I have had a few split at the case mouth after more firings than I can count. I got my money's worth out of that brass long ago.

Accuracy has not suffered any that I can tell. POA, and POI match that is all I care about. From handguns they shoot more acurately than I can milk them for anyway.