The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 18, 2011, 03:47 PM   #1
Bernie Lomax

Eezox and aluminum

Ever since I got my Mossberg 590A1 about a year ago, I've been using nothing but Eezox. Now, I come to find out that, buried deep in the MSDS on their website, it says "Avoid prolonged contact with white metals (i.e. Aluminum, Lead)". Now, as you are probably all well aware, the Mossberg receiver and tube is aluminum, and I've been using this stuff on it for about a year. Am I screwed, or what? And how do I get this stuff off my gun so that I can switch to break-free?

Last edited by Bernie Lomax; June 18, 2011 at 04:36 PM.
Old June 18, 2011, 03:59 PM   #2
AK103K

I doubt youre "screwed". It probably means "bare" metal.

I used Eezox on all my SIG's for a number of years without issue, and even on the older guns with the anodizing wore off in a couple of places, it didnt seem to bother it.

If you want it off, Gunscruber always worked for me, or you could probably just start using the Break Free.
Old June 18, 2011, 04:04 PM   #3
Bernie Lomax

Quote:
I doubt youre "screwed". It probably means "bare" metal.
A lot of the metal on my magazine tube is bare, the coating has been worn off from pumping the action. Thankfully, the receiver is still mostly covered, so at least that should be all right.
Old June 19, 2011, 09:13 AM   #4
P97

I used it on my P90, which has the Aluminum frame, for a couple of years, and it didn't hurt it. It had some bare places where the Anodized Coating had worn off. I recently had it Metalife coated, but still use Eezox on it.