The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Closed Thread

Old June 1, 2009, 12:31 PM   #1
mellow_c

Final word on Mini 14 Accuracy

Accuracy is the only thing keeping me from getting a Mini 14.

I know of other options out there. Various AR types and look alikes, and the Kel tec SU-16's. But I like the way the Mini's feel, look, and there reliability.

What I want to know is, out of the box, and off the bench, how well will a Mini REALLY shoot. what can I expect for 100 yard groups. I know 1" groups is not their specialty. But are the guns capable of consistent 2" groups with slow accurate bench fire? if the mini is really as bad as some say, and all I can expect are 4" plus groups, then I might not care to have one.

Have at it! :-)
Old June 1, 2009, 01:14 PM   #2
Skyyr

The new mini-14's actually have surprising accuracy. Ruger changed/refined their manufacturing process and even went as far to replace some of the machinery in the machining process they found to be causing the mini-14's accuracy issues.

The newest "target" models with the adjustable harmonic dampener can hit MOA or less, even up to 300yds. The catch is not everyone wants a big, bulbous tuner on the end of their rifle.

Just for supplement, here's a range report posted on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z89nJ5zA4bI

A mini-14 target will run you about $850, about the same price as an entry-level AR. So, the question is, do you like the mini-14 over an AR? If so, get it. If you're just looking for something that shoots 5.56/.223, then go for an AR, as they're far more upgradeable.

And just FYI, the mini-14 CAN shoot 5.56. Some of the older barrels/manuals listed them chambered for .223, but they were in-fact chambered for 5.56.

Last edited by Skyyr; June 1, 2009 at 01:20 PM.
Old June 1, 2009, 01:14 PM   #3
Housezealot

I think you should not have any problem from a bench at 100 yards but....
I really liked the feel of the mini untill I shot a few and then liked it a lot less after some time with an AR, there is definetly something to be said for a rifle stock without a pistol grip. best to try both as it varies from person to person.
good luck!
Old June 1, 2009, 02:44 PM   #4
Come and take it.

I think they should have redesigned the gas system more so than they did. There is still that contact between the piston/operating rod and the gas block that can cause accuracy problems. The machining is done better in that area to my understanding so that the piston/operating rod mates up to the gas block squarely.

The best improvement of all is the slower twist rate in my opinion.

I wouldn't mind getting a tactical if I knew I could get enough of the factory mags for reasonable price. It would be nice if a person can get a version with a bayonet lug but I think all those are LEO models.

Maybe I am wrong on that.
Old June 1, 2009, 03:33 PM   #5
benogil

Umm, accuracy on any model can be greatly improved by using an accustrut, or it's home made versions.
Old June 1, 2009, 04:57 PM   #6
Alleykat

I'd suggest trying an AR; far superior to the Mini, and you can become accustomed to the "feel". ASAMOF, the "feel" is adjustable.
Old June 1, 2009, 05:03 PM   #7
handlerer

Wow! Has the price really gone up that much? I paid $600, two years ago, for a 580 series. I'm content with mine, for what it is. It is not a target grade rifle, it's more of a truck gun, with suitable accuracy, for its intended purpose. They are rugged and reliable. I can put 30 rounds in the black as fast as I can get a sight picture. I have had, with a pet handload, gotten a 1.5" three round group. I am content with that, as this is a fun gun and a beater to carry in the Durango. The only caution I have to note is when using milsurp brass, don't use the heaviest bullets available, ie. 70 grainers, I have had one primer blow out on me. I am considering an AR type, if I decide to let go of that much cash.
Old June 1, 2009, 05:08 PM   #8
Come and take it.

I would trust the two large lugs of the garand action for handloading over the smaller multiple lugs of the AR.

We used to load our rounds hot back in the day when me and my buddy's had mini 14s. They never had any problem digesting whatever we shot through them so long as they had the factory mag or a ramline 30 rounder.
Old June 1, 2009, 05:21 PM   #9
STEINER

The new 580 with the tapered barrel and a Nikon Prostaff 3X9X40 BDC scope will do 2" MOA @ 100 yrds. I do it with no modifications yet. So you make the upgrades and might get a more precision rifle. Because I don't compete in shooting competition, I don't care.
If you are trying to get the best precision shooting rifle, don't use the Mini.
There is a point of diminishing return and in my opinion, 1", 2' or 3" MOA means what?
I like the fact that the MINI is a Garand style proven design. It shoots anything you put into it and has the capability to get the job done.
Magazine fed auto-loading rifle is a good thing.
Old June 1, 2009, 11:33 PM   #10
Candiru

I've been sharing this review I wrote about my Mini-14. It got about 2 MOA accuracy with inexpensive ammo, and can probably do better. I managed a 3" offhand group at 100 yards, too.
Old June 2, 2009, 01:38 AM   #11
Ignition Override

STEINER: 'Second your motion'.
I know nothing about the accuracy of my Mini 14, built in 1990 (I shoot objects from about 50-80' in a river), but it never suffered a single ftf, and only used newer Russian-made ammo, both Wolf (fmj) and Silver Bear (jhp). Not only that, but the 30-round polymer Promag bought in spring '08 never even misfed a single round, even though I expected it to misfeed. Zero.

The Promag, though a wobbly fit, worked better than the original 20-round magazine built in the Ruger factory with their name imprinted on the bottom. This might be hard to believe.

That Mini is more reliable than an AK that I watched in person, used by a buddy who fired no more than one round per second. My rifle surprised me.
Old June 2, 2009, 01:48 AM   #12
mellow_c

Thanx guys

I want a regular ranch style mini. I dont care to get a target model. I'd like a Mini mostly for a plinker / range gun / defensive weapon / target riffle. Really I want it for everything I could use it for. Also possibly hunting. I've got plenty of other firearms. I have an AR-10 as well. And I've shot enough AR-15's to know that I like them, but I'd rather have a classic rifle design like the mini than an AR-15.

I just want to be sure that I'll be getting a rifle thats as good as I hope it can be. I would feel so bad if I got a mini, and loved it so much, only to find it literally incapable of any better than 3" groups at 100 yards.

So lets here it, tell me how good you and your Mini are at 100 yards! :-)

Any additional info is always great to hear!

Oh, by the way, whats the story on using steel cased ammo in a Mini? ever give you problems?
Old June 2, 2009, 02:50 AM   #13
qwman68

i have one of the new 580 ranch rifles and i love it.. get one you wont be disappointed
Old June 2, 2009, 08:06 AM   #14
Skyyr

Quote:
Thanx guys

I want a regular ranch style mini. I dont care to get a target model. I'd like a Mini mostly for a plinker / range gun / defensive weapon / target riffle. Really I want it for everything I could use it for. Also possibly hunting. I've got plenty of other firearms. I have an AR-10 as well. And I've shot enough AR-15's to know that I like them, but I'd rather have a classic rifle design like the mini than an AR-15.

I just want to be sure that I'll be getting a rifle thats as good as I hope it can be. I would feel so bad if I got a mini, and loved it so much, only to find it literally incapable of any better than 3" groups at 100 yards.

So lets here it, tell me how good you and your Mini are at 100 yards! :-)

Any additional info is always great to hear!

Oh, by the way, whats the story on using steel cased ammo in a Mini? ever give you problems?
Realistically, then, you can probably expect 2" inch groups out of the box with a scope... and probably not much better, unless you go with the target model. Mini's are NOT known for their accuracy, though, as mentioned previously, the newer ones are better than earlier models.

Their problem lies in their barrel design. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but their barrels (even their "heavy" barrel) are thinner/thinnest where the round is chambered, then get thicker towards the midpoint, and then taper off again. This is unusual as far as most barrel designs go and causes it vibrate in a unique fashion. It's the vibrations that cause it's inherent inaccuracy and the reason why the target models need the harmonic dampener. There was an explicit write-up explaining this on another forum (can't find the link).
Old June 2, 2009, 10:19 AM   #15
mellow_c

Alright, I'm convinced, I'm going to start saving for a Mini.

How do Mini 14's handle steel cased ammo?
Old June 2, 2009, 10:40 AM   #16
Skyyr

Quote:
How do Mini 14's handle steel cased ammo?
I'd say, realistically, a bit better than an AR. It Garand-style gas system, so it's more reliable and a bit "heartier."

Steel-cased ammo for any weapon isn't the best idea, but it won't hurt the mini.
Old June 2, 2009, 10:42 AM   #17
Willie Lowman

I don't know about steel cased ammo but my buddy's Mini-14 beats the crap out of brass cases.

As far as accuracy goes, most commercial 55gr FMJs are about a 4 MOA round from most AR15s. I have owned 4 AR15 rifles (1 Colt, 3 RRA) all would shoot a 4" group @ 100 yards with Winchester, Federal, Privi, and S&B.

Each of those rifles had a favorite match ammo that would bring groups around 1". The Colt would put 5 rounds touching with Federal Premium 45gr. But I can't find that ammo anymore and I don't have that upper anymore.

If you are going to shoot steel cased ammo I would not expect accuracy results worth speaking of, regardless of rifle.

I only have experience with one Mini-14 and I have never been able to get better than 6" groups with it @ 100 yards. Bear in mind that the rifle wears a scope that I cost 49$ and was fed amateur reloads (there is room for improvement).
Old June 2, 2009, 10:49 AM   #18
Alleykat

Candiru:
Quote:
I've been sharing this review I wrote about my Mini-14. It got about 2 MOA accuracy with inexpensive ammo, and can probably do better. I managed a 3" offhand group at 100 yards, t
Yeah, yeah, and you DEFINITELY have the most appropriate user name on this forum!!

Yeah, also to the input about the strength of the two "Garrand-style lugs." That's probably why you see so many Minis in the hands of the world's armed forces!!!
Old June 2, 2009, 10:49 AM   #19
Skyyr

@Willie

Respectfully, most quality AR's shoot within 2-2.5 MOA out of the box. Many higher-end promise 1 or better. If you're getting 4 MOA as an average grouping, you've either got a lower-quality rifle or your ammo isn't matched to your barrel rifling twist rate.
Old June 2, 2009, 10:58 AM   #20
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

What I found with four "skinny Minnies": They all were extremely reliable about the first shot going to the desired point of aim. They all gave three-shot groups of about 1.5 MOA with a Weaver K4 on top.

For a hunter's truck gun, they're great. And, a good walking-around .223 for a hunter who's interested in jackrabbits and coyotes.

For defense, they're very reliable--assuming you have decent magazines. I never had any sign of a problem with cycling. And they'll hold "minute of torso" all day long--which is as good as one might ever need for actual defense, rather than attack at a distance.
Old June 2, 2009, 11:04 AM   #21
Housezealot

Quote:
Alright, I'm convinced, I'm going to start saving for a Mini.
You might consider layaway, it has been my best freind (or is that worst enemy) for buying firearms while avoiding putting them on plastic or having to save a fund that always gets dipped into.
Old June 2, 2009, 11:29 AM   #22
Willie Lowman

@ Skyyr

My Colt Hbar II had 1/9 twist, My first RRA had a 1/7 and the last two have 1/9

As I said each of those rifles had/have a favorite match ammo that would produce 1" or better 5 round groups.

It was when they were fed cheap 55gr FMJ ammo that I got 4" groups. Mind you these were typically 20 round groups, fired in one string from the bench. Same scope used on each rifle, a Leopold 3X-9X.
Old June 2, 2009, 12:44 PM   #23
Skans

Personally, I just like Mini-14's better than standard AR15's. You can make either platform super accurate. Although it will take sending your Mini-14 to Accuracy Systems to do so, as opposed to marrying an accurized barreled upper to an AR15 lower.

I own an AR15 and an AC556 (full-auto version of the mini-14). There are just some things I like better about the Mini-14 - rugged and dependable. My AR15 shows signs of wear just getting gently banged sitting in my safe. Ever see what an AR15 looks like after 10's of thousands of rounds and serious use? They can get pretty crappy looking. After all, they are just aluminum.

My AC556 is blued steel. It generally doesn't get scratched and I can use cold blue to touch up any place that the blue has worn a little. It's easy to clean and doesn't need to be cleaned 1/2 as often as my AR15 does. There are some nice stocks out there for the Mini-14 as well - both wooden and tactical. I happen to have a SCAR CQB folder on it right now which makes it more tactical.

Also, I've always liked the all stainless versions of the Mini-14. Personally, I like the shinier stainless on the older Mini/s - I'd look for one of those and have ASI put a true target barrel on it and mount it in a nice laminate stock. Something like that just does it for me over the AR15 - dime-a-dozen tacticool rigs.
Old June 2, 2009, 01:08 PM   #24
Come and take it.

Quote:
Yeah, also to the input about the strength of the two "Garrand-style lugs." That's probably why you see so many Minis in the hands of the world's armed forces!!!
The Worlds armed forces almost exclusively do not handload ammunition for their "Auntie Ems".

Many people have handloaded for the mini and it has a long and proven history of handling hot loaded ammunition. Its simply a very rugged tough action. It has very small contact services with the reciever during action cycling and this is also a plus when you factor in Dust and crud build up that would bring an M16 to its knees.

Its much easier to clean than the M16

However I don't own a mini anymore, however I have been tempted lately with the newer tactical versions.
Old June 3, 2009, 09:03 AM   #25
Skans

Mini-14's are too expensive to produce for the Military. Recycling beercans into small arms is what they look for. The M16 and variants are "good enough" for most military applications. They are by no means some kind of high tech superior weapon.

There are a number of things that make the Mini-14, or full auto version, not suitable for a miltary rifle. The magazine design is one thing. The inability to replace barrels easily is another reason. Ruger never really attempted to keep up by inventing new Mini-14 tactical platforms.

Three things that could really improve the Mini-14:

1. modify the magazine and mag well to make it quicker and easier to swap out magazines.....i.e. get rid of that hole-catch. Better yet - just make it so that it uses AR magazines.

2. Make it relatively easy for non-ruger armorers to swap out barrels - I don't know how this would be accomplished, but it can't be impossible. I can think of several designs off the top of my head using a ratcheting system, and a retractible gas port/tube that pops into place when the barrel is screwed in completely. Accuracy and ability to handle sustained FA fire is really a factor of what barrel you put on the gun.

3. Ruger would need to license the production of parts to other companies and permit them to sell parts for their rifles on the open market.

If Ruger could do these two things, It would have a real "winner". The SCAR CQB stock proves that you can drop the action into a tactical stock that provides more tactical options than does the M16 platform.
Closed Thread