The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 15, 2012, 06:27 PM   #1
Ideal Tool

Hell On Wheels

Hello everyone..What are your opinions of the TV series Hell On Wheels? At least they are using correct Henry & 66' winchesters...although that last episode with the long-range mercy shot with a Sharps..it looked an awful lot like a 74'..bit too early. But the real goof-up was a write up in a western guns magazine about show..praised authenticity of arms..then went on to tell of Elam purchasing the latest improved Colt conversion..the 1871-72' Open-Top!
The Central Pacific & Union Pacific had met 2 years before this came out!
Oh well..that Hollywood.
Old September 15, 2012, 06:43 PM   #2
Fingers McGee

There have been a few threads running on this and other forums about the historical and technical inaccuracy of HOW. Bottom line is that it's from the Canadian version of Hollywood.............half way decent fiction.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old September 15, 2012, 06:55 PM   #3
arch308

I don't pay a lot of attention to weather the guns are perfectly time period correct as they are close enough for me. I really enjoy the show and hope it continues for a few more seasons.
I am not educated enough about post Civil War arms to notice the difference as are most people. The Henrys looked good. They are always portrayed to be more powerful than they actually were. ( I think). And the Sharp's mercy shot was a little over the top (I'm sure it was possible but can't really buy a man just grabbing an unfamilier weapon and making a perfect 1st shot) but was still entertaining.
The historical details have never been too important to Hollywood. I think they get pretty close and tell a good story.
Old September 15, 2012, 07:37 PM   #4
Ideal Tool

One thing I did like was the showing of the Spencer carbine..Cullens horse was shot out from under him at what looked to be 150 to 200yds. These were a very popular weapon on the post CW frontier..the Govt. sold alot of surplus arms after the war..and Custers 7th..and others were armed with them..and used them in the Wa****a fight. They fired a relativly heavy bullet..but were low velocity due to the pressure limitations of the thin copper rim-fire cases.
Old September 16, 2012, 01:47 AM   #5
scottycoyote

i really enjoyed the first season of the series....it starts out alot like josey wales but i enjoy it. Ive caught a few of the episodes of the 2nd season, its still pretty good but its starting to lose a bit of its luster.
Old September 16, 2012, 06:35 AM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

I'll just remind everyone out of the gate that if the discussion strays away from firearms and into the general show plot or into the characters, it will be closed as off topic.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old September 16, 2012, 08:54 AM   #7
brushhippie

goodness...we've been warned! Thats one way to chase people from a forum.
Old September 16, 2012, 11:42 AM   #8
Mike Irwin
Staff

As is very plainly stated in our rules, to which we all agreed when we joined, this is a firearms and civil rights discussion forum, not a movie and actor critique forum.

If you don't like the rules here I am sure there is a movie and actor critique forum out there that would be right for you.

Old September 16, 2012, 11:47 AM   #9
sigcurious

lol, I am just watching a dvr'd episode had a question and here's a thread!

In the episode I'm currently watching during a gun fight, Bohanan and a BG both reload by removing the spent cylinder and replace it with a loaded one. This is the first time I've seen this occur in the series, is there any historical accuracy or context to this?
Old September 16, 2012, 12:33 PM   #10
Hawg

No, there's not.
Old September 16, 2012, 02:16 PM   #11
Mike Irwin
Staff

There was a recent discussion on that very topic. Some one quoted primary source material that seems to indicate that yes there its some historic validity to swapping cylinders as a form of quick reloading.

Old September 16, 2012, 03:46 PM   #12
g.willikers

From the history of those times that I've read, if one shootin' irons worth of lead wasn't going to be enough, the usual procedure was to carry more loaded guns.
Some carried up to six revolvers, four on their person and two on the horse.
But then, as now, serious shootists did things differently.
Having extra loaded cylinders would seem to be a natural solution.
If we can think of it, no doubt so did they.
Old September 16, 2012, 04:50 PM   #13
Newton24b

to many issues with just the guns alone. cant stand it wont watch it.

seriously, most of the commercials for it showed charecters plinking eachoter with colt 1860s. in the actual show those same people were using brass framed navies on each other..
Old September 16, 2012, 05:58 PM   #14
brazosdave

I did take a renewed interest in Griswold and Gunnisons as a result of the show. Of course, they had a mockup of one, but I notice Cabella's is now carrying a Pietta G and G, so I guess it created enough traction that it was viable for them to start carrying them. Which is cool, I'd like to get one.
Old September 16, 2012, 07:05 PM   #15
Roshi

Show is good to get new shooters

While the guns aren't always per period they are well done. Any show with cap and ball revolvers is OK with me. It encourages new people to try this fun and interesting shooting hobby.