The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 4, 2012, 06:14 PM   #1
BIGR

Lefty Tika T3 Lite Stainless .270 or .308 ?

Ok guys I am seriously thinking a Tika T3 Lite, Left Hand Version. I do shoot long guns left handed and I have finally decided to try a lefty bolt gun. Only problem is I can't decide which caliber. I would go for a .260 if they offered it in the USA.

Just a background on what I have already. Several 30.06's, 7MM-08, a 7MM Mag. and a .300 Win. Mag, all of those in right hand bolt guns such as Model 70's and Model 700's. I want a lite weight left hand stainless rifle for whitetail deer hunting and the Tika seems like a good candidate.

Any suggestions?
Old October 4, 2012, 06:21 PM   #2
warbirdlover

.270 Win is a super caliber. Low recoil, flat shooting and good for most anything. I'm not a .308 fan. Compare the ballistics of the .270 and .308.
Old October 4, 2012, 06:26 PM   #3
RamItOne

T3

Mines in .308, I'm a lefty, shoot pistols either hand but shoot lefty on rifles but I prefer a RH T3, ergonomics are better- flipping off safety with trigger hand thumb is very easy while leaving trigger finger at the ready. Cycle the bolt with your non shooting hand lets you stay on target for a very quick follow up shot, and your trigger hand stays right where it needs to be.
Old October 4, 2012, 06:59 PM   #4
BIGR

Exactly what I am looking for is some input from some of you guys. I tried a left hand Model 700 the other day just for kicks, but the bolt does not seem that smooth and it felt awkward. I was wondering if I could work the Tika Bolt any better since it is supposed to be a smooth action?
Old October 4, 2012, 07:10 PM   #5
GeauxTide

I bought my first Savage LH Model 16 in 260 last year. Most accurate, smoothest bolt I've ever owned. Accustock and Accutrigger are incredible. They also make a 6.5-284 LH......
Old October 5, 2012, 04:15 AM   #6
Keg

I want one in 308.....So why don't U get the 270?
Old October 5, 2012, 07:27 AM   #7
jmr40

A few thoughts. The Tikka is only offered in a long action, so there is no advantage to 308 since it would be on a long action. Of the rifles you own there isn't enough difference betweeen 30-06 and 270 to matter. Same with 7-08 and 308, as well as 7mm mag and 300 mag. You already have a lot of overlap in your collection. Adding either 270 or 308 would not help.

Truth be told it is only a very small step from 7-08 up to 338 magnum. To argue that any 2 in between is better than the other is bordering on being silly.

Either would work. I generally like a 308 better, but in this case I'd probably go 270 if you don't reload. If you do, I'd still go 308. With handloads it can do a lot. It is also cheaper/easier to load for.
Old October 5, 2012, 08:14 AM   #8
awpk03s

I just picked up a Lefty Tikka T3 Lite Stainless in 30-06. It is a very smooth operating rifle. I hope to shoot it this weekend and be able to report on that front, but initially I am very impressed with this rifle.

As for caliber, I'm already committed to 30-06 with ammo and reloading equipment so for me it was a no brainer.
Old October 5, 2012, 06:15 PM   #9
BIGR

Quote:
I just picked up a Lefty Tikka T3 Lite Stainless in 30-06. It is a very smooth operating rifle. I hope to shoot it this weekend and be able to report on that front, but initially I am very impressed with this rifle.

As for caliber, I'm already committed to 30-06 with ammo and reloading equipment so for me it was a no brainer.
Today 08:27 AM
awpk03s

Let me know how the 30.06 does as far as recoil. I am not afraid of recoil, but I figure the .308 would be close to the 30.06. I would get a .260 in the lefty if it was offered because I have taken interest in a medium caliber as the .260.

Also let me mention that I do reload, so ammo is not a problem
Old October 5, 2012, 08:51 PM   #10
GeauxTide

If you load the 260, RL 19 under 120, 125 Noslers and 129 Hornadys are lovely.
Old October 6, 2012, 01:01 PM   #11
awpk03s

I shot my rifle today and sighted it in with a Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x42mm scope. It shoots great, I am impressed. Easily lives up to the 1 MOA guarantee.

Recoil off-hand is stout but manageable. Recoil shooting prone off a bipod... kind of hurts.
Old October 6, 2012, 01:49 PM   #12
Maligator

BigR, just curious about why you want a L handed rifle but stated that all your other rifles are R Handed. I mean no disrespect in the question, just curious.

The reason I ask is because if all the other rifles you own are indeed R handed wouldn't a L Handed model seem strange and not as comfortable possibly causing you to "fumble around" ie. lack of muscle memory in times of "buck fever"? Not to mention the change in sight picture? Are you L or R eye dominant?
Old October 6, 2012, 02:31 PM   #13
awpk03s

I can't speak for the OP... but being a LH shooter, you can make a RH gun work without a scope fairly well. With a scope, I fumble all over it. Having a rifle suited to your hand/eye - is priceless.
Old October 6, 2012, 06:38 PM   #14
BIGR

Quote:
BigR, just curious about why you want a L handed rifle but stated that all your other rifles are R Handed. I mean no disrespect in the question, just curious.

The reason I ask is because if all the other rifles you own are indeed R handed wouldn't a L Handed model seem strange and not as comfortable possibly causing you to "fumble around" ie. lack of muscle memory in times of "buck fever"? Not to mention the change in sight picture? Are you L or R eye dominant?
Great questions indeed. I am left eye dominant and for some crazy reason started shooting long guns left handed way back years ago. I shoot pistols right handed. Yea I know I have adapted to the right hand rifles and shotguns over the years. One thing about the bolt gun is if I don't make the first shot count I have to drop my right hand from the front of the stock to work the bolt. Most of the time one shot is all I need, but have missed a few times and attempted a follow up shot. I have really never tried the crossover method such as reach over the scope and work the bolt with the left hand. Without a doubt I suppose a left hand bolt rifle would seem odd at first. For another reason is I guess I start thinking about case failure and getting some nasty stuff in my face since the port on a right hand bolt rifle is in my face.

I must mention I have a Browning Bar Safari (30.06) that I used for many years and have taken several deer with it. Of course being a semi auto rifle there is not much of an issue with it other than maybe the cases eject in front of my face. That rifle works real well, but as you know sometimes a hunter just wants to use the bolt action rifle especially in nasty weather.
Old October 6, 2012, 06:46 PM   #15
Husqvarna

I bought one a while back, love it

my second LH gun, been shooting RH guns for close to 20 years and at first i thought it would be awkward re-learning but it is great

I have hunted with RH guns and even with training a second follow up shot is harder, letting go of the supporting hand means you lose the target anway, especially if you do it in the swing

Tikkas have the smoothest action in the price range, and equal many twice as costly guns, only the SAKOS beat it IMO and they are 2x the price

Have you thought about a suppresor? how short can a .308 barrel be and still shot straight with keeping the effect? or does the suppresor add to the barrellenght when measuring the effect? I think that adding a suppressor will do great for balance, I wouldn't want to shot a bigger calibre in this short/light gun
Old October 7, 2012, 11:03 AM   #16
Maligator

Since you are left eye dominant I can totally understand your desire for a left handed weapon. I wish you well in your pursuit and look forward to hearing how much happier you are with a weapon that is more appropriate for you than your right handed models. Good luck and have fun