The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 25, 2011, 02:38 PM   #1
parker

prostaff nikon 3x9 50 BDC reticle scope

Anyone using this scope prostaff nikon 3x9 50 BDC reticle ? Read great reviews just wondering if I should get the BDC reticle or the Nikoplex Reticle. Any info or opinions would be appreciated. I also love the Nikon Spot On Technology software anyone try this out?
Old November 25, 2011, 07:50 PM   #2
UtopiaTexasG19

I have a Nikon Prostaff 3x9 50 on my favorite AR15 and love the scope. It is clear and works well in lower light. I use my AR as more of a single shot gun and use the 3X9 for some pretty long shots. I have no complaints and would buy another if I needed it in a heart beat. Good value for the price range. I have the Nikoplex reticle.

Last edited by UtopiaTexasG19; November 25, 2011 at 09:05 PM.
Old November 26, 2011, 11:46 AM   #3
parker

Thanks for the reply That I believe is the scope I will get. I will have to now choice which reticle to get. I like the BDC just wondering if will be to busy when using.
Old November 26, 2011, 02:04 PM   #4
chiefr

I have been very impressed with Nikon scopes. Especially the ProStaff and the Buckmaster. IMHO, they are just as good as scopes costing 3-times more. The clarity of my Prostaff at max power setting is unbelieveable.
Old November 26, 2011, 04:27 PM   #5
parker

I think I'll get the BDC now I read some that say there is not much differance in the 40 then the 50. The 40 may just be the best choice just because of size.
Old November 27, 2011, 11:09 AM   #6
bman940

ProStaff Reticle

Parker,
I'm a big fan of the BDC reticle. Not just because I do some freelance work for Nikon either. I got to test a BDC out when they first arrived 7 years ago and I liked it so much I never gave it back!
Now days with Nikon's Spot On Ballistic Program to help you really dial in your BDC Scope your long range shots can be so much more accurate.
Go to Nikonhunting.com, click the SPot On Logo, it'll ask you to register but it's all free to use. There is also a iphone/pad App you can buy as well as one for Android.
Lots of useful data and easily navigated site. Let me know what you think.
Old November 27, 2011, 05:29 PM   #7
parker

Thanks Bart Yes I've been playing around with Spot on and I am very impressed. I think Nikon is doing a great job with this.
With much research I narrowed it down to the Prostaff 3x9 x40 bdc. I see Nikon did some upgrades so I would like to get the model 6722. Now just need to decide where to purchase it. Price and avability I am pretty sure this scope is a winner and will be a perfect match for my rifle.
I will mount it on my New Mossberg 4x4 30-06 which so Far I am impressed with for the price with Fluted Barrel, Muzzle break and Nice Trigger. I would replace the Barska Scope that came with the Rifle although the scope so far seems to be on the money but really like the reviews and bdc on the Prostaff so much I will upgrade.
Seeing that you have experience would I need new Rings? I think it should fit fine but not sure and if so do you have any recommendations.
I'll take all the advice I can get want to do it Right and the Best the First Time. Nikon sold me on this Scope! thanks

The tried and trusted 3-9x40 gets a technology upgrade that will satisfy even the most demanding of hunters. The new PROSTAFF and Realtree 3-9x40 riflescopes feature a bright new optical system, remarkable new hand-turn reticle adjustments with Zero-Reset turrets and a convenient quick-focus eyepiece. The ideal fit for most any hunting style: Enough power for the longest shots and a wide field of view for thick brush or timber. Part #6722 (Matte, BDC)
Old November 27, 2011, 05:41 PM   #8
model18

Nikon Scopes

how is the 4x12x40 Nikon scope for $190? I want to see closer at 200 yds max. or should I stay with the 3x9x40?

Thanks in advance!
Old November 27, 2011, 05:50 PM   #9
bman940

ProStaff

Parker, I think you need to assess your rings and see if they are solid, good lock up, quality screws that will tolerate you remounting another scope. Quality rings defintely make a difference. If you went with a 50mm obj. you may have to step up to high rings, just something to think about.
Model, As for the ProStaff 4-12, here's a pic of the T/C .308 my father in law will use next week when we go to Kansas Deer hunting. The potential for a huge deer is always there as is the potential for a long shot. I worked him over pretty good getting used to using the BDC reticle and I feel comfortable he can make a 1 shot stop if he has a good solid rest. This is a heck of a scope and lets me shoot .5 MOA.
With a little luck I'll have deer pics to post soon. Some does for the freezer and hopefully a wall hanger or two.
http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd363/bman940/C.jpg
Old November 27, 2011, 06:06 PM   #10
parker

Where I Hunt most deer are under 150 yards. There is though a spot that I could do up to 400 yards. I think??? the 3x9 would do fine seems that is what most go with up by me although I'm not sure how a 4x12 would be in close or would that cover all posible senerios. Wondering if a 4x12 would be overkill or have benifits. Don't get me wrong I like over kill just not experanced enough to make that call so thinking what most use the price is not the factor as there is not much differance.
Old November 27, 2011, 06:47 PM   #11
bman940

ProStaff

All things being almost equal, I'd go with the ProStaff 4-12.
I have a ProStaff 3-9 Rimfire BDC 150 on a 10/22 and really like it, but for an opportunity to reach out there with my old eyes I prefer the 4-12 BDC.

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/.../22rimfire.jpg
Old November 27, 2011, 10:23 PM   #12
viking499

Bart, How do you like the new Nikon Rimfire scope?

Can Nikon make a rimfire scope in something larger than a 3-9?
Old November 27, 2011, 10:55 PM   #13
bman940

Nikon ProStaff 3-9 Rimfire BDC 150

V., I like the new 2011 ProStaff Rimfire Scope. I thinkit fills a much needed niche. A year ago I asked some guys on a few different forums what features would you want in a Rimfire Scope. We took the suggestions and tried to make as many people happy as possible with this scope. Parallax adjustment down to 50 yards and 1/4 inch adjustments at 50 yards too. As far asI know there are no plans to build a higher magnification Rimfire Scope but I do know there are some offerings coming for 2012 that will make many of you happy.
Here's a review from Field and Stream on the Nikon ProStaff Rimfire Scope.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/...-staff-bdc-150
Old November 27, 2011, 11:15 PM   #14
viking499

Quote:
but I do know there are some offerings coming for 2012 that will make many of you happy.
Do tell.........or at least give some hints.........
Old November 27, 2011, 11:23 PM   #15
bman940

hints

Believe me, I would love to let you in on the buzz. But I like my job to much to spill the beans. I can tell you there are many new products coming out that you and I will want to use and all back by Nikon's renowned reputation. It'll come out in Jan. at the 2012 Shot Show.
I promise more to follow!
Thank you for your interest and support!
As always if I can help you please do not hersitate to ask.
Old November 27, 2011, 11:27 PM   #16
viking499

Quote:
As always if I can help you please do not hesitate to ask.
How about some Nikon coupons for us to use before the Holidays......
Old November 27, 2011, 11:39 PM   #17
bman940

lol

I wish I could do something like that for everyone, believe me, you guys have all been great the last year. I've had a bunch of questions asked and some great dialog too.
If it was up to me.......
Thanks for asking, even with the rolled eyes.....
Old December 3, 2011, 05:12 PM   #18
parker

I recently compared Nikon's New Prostaff verse the older style. Turrets now no need for screwdriver and quick focus lens on front which seemed to work best fully extended. I like the changes. In the store it was kind of hard but I compared it to other scopes Bushnell (I believe it was Trophy) and a Leupold around the same price range. I could not see much difference other then the Leupold seemed the worst out of the three. The counter guy also agreed. Wow that surprised me. Not much between the Nikon Prostaff and the Bushnell. I also check the 4x12 Nikon and again just slightly more magnification on the higher setting but to me not enough to justify going larger for where I shoot. Plus the scope is around two to three inches longer. bottom line is I think the 3x9 40 might be the one I pick.
bman940 Now with No coupons and awaiting the Buzz plus I have time I will finish off my season on what I have then will do the upgrade to be ready for next season. Hopefully bman940 will fiqure out why I should do the Nikon move get some coupons or maybe get a deal worked out at the show for a new Nikon Prostaff 3x9 40 Bdc matte finish scope for me then I can make the move quicker
Old December 3, 2011, 06:56 PM   #19
bman940

Nikon ProStaff

P., Good to hear you like the ProStaff and that it'll meet your needs. I wish there were some deal's for me to paas on but all I can do is let you guys know when we have Promotions. We just had one on the ProStaff 6 weeks ago.I can't reacall exactly what it was but it was instant savings and a lot of guys took advantage of the deal. Check around on prices and I'm sure you'll find something that works for you. I'm off to Ks. tonight to hunt the next few days. I have my father in law dialed in with a T/C Icon in .308 and a
2011 ProStaff 4-12 BDC as i discussed previously. Hopefully I"ll have some good pics of him to post soon!
Old December 3, 2011, 07:20 PM   #20
parker

Thx Bart keep us posted.
Old February 6, 2012, 08:41 PM   #21
parker

OK Bart
Nikon Pro Staff Thanks
I went ahead and picked up the Scope 3x9x40 BDC matte Finish Pro staff (6722) Newest upgraded Prostaff..
I'm very impressed with the Clarity the magnification is awesome very happy with scope can't wait to see how it performs in the field. Now with the improved focus adjustment the BDC is so tuned in its increadable...So far between the reviews and what I see just playing around with it is Nikon has a winner here for the price Its hard to beat.

Model18 the scope magnification at 100 yards is set at 3 or 4 and clear as day