The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 22, 2006, 12:02 PM   #1
SOSARMS

Location: The great Buckeye state...where nuts are not just for eating
Winchester 94 comm. restorations

We have been in the business of restoring Win 94 commemoratives for 25+ years, and on occasions have run into some problem children....especially the receiver.Mostly what we have done is take several blemished 94s and picking the perfect parts from the group and assembling one mint gun, and selling the leftover parts as good used. As many of you know, the process of iron plating then applying the blue finish, is no longer done, and trying to use conventional blueing process gives an eerie appearance that is not acceptably. We have sent some out for an epoxy coating, but still not close enough for my satisfaction. More recently, we have powder coated thereceivers with a gloss black powder applied a little thick, with the results in appearance very acceptably with the exception of filling in the etchings. Does anybody know of a process or a company that can get a near factory finish using a metal finish similar to the one used by Win?? Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old June 22, 2006, 01:53 PM   #2
Scorch

Like you, when I was doing restorations we used to send the guns out for iron plating and then blue them. Worked OK, but had its limitations too.

I did one gun that we sent out for black oxide plating and it looked great except for a few areas on the inside of the tang and on the inside of the receiver. It adds dimensionally to the receiver, but with a 94 that is not an issue since they are so loose. I'm not exactly sure what black oxide plating is, but I do remember it was more expensive and harder to find anyone to do it.

I contemplated black chrome, but it tends to be somewhat grey or silvery. Also tried ceramic coating and it was nice but looked like ceramic or thick paint, plus it plugged the holes with gritty abrasive overrun. It was almost impossible to remove.

I have seen black nickel, which looks OK but I heard it is difficult to apply to large objects. Talk to a plater about the problem and see what they suggest.
Old June 22, 2006, 01:59 PM   #3
SOSARMS

Thanks for the info...
Did try one Black Oxide, but it turned our purple hue..company even tried it 3 times...still the same.
Recently bought a plating kit with black chrome, copper and gold solutions, but haven't tried it yet..
Thought I could copper plate some jewelry for my girlfriend, and convince her that the reason it was so dark that it was a better grade of gold....!!
Old June 22, 2006, 02:03 PM   #4
Scorch

Good luck selling that idea to your girlfriend! If she finds out, get ready for the fireworks!
Old June 22, 2006, 03:44 PM   #5
George R

Win 94

As little as I know about it, here's my 2c worth....Receivers from 2,770,000 to 5,024,957 were machined from a graphitic steel casting. 3,185692 to 3,806,499 were black chrome plated and the others were iron plated. I've blued quite a few of these with DuLite's 3-0 salts which is the same stuff I use for hot blueing stainless steel. About the best polish I can get is 400 grit. It's a real pain to do.
Lately, I've been alum oxide blasting, filling the pits with Lauer's Dura Fil, liquid phosphaizing and then finishing with TR Gun Kote.
Either way, it's no fun. Hope this helps.
Old June 22, 2006, 04:02 PM   #6
SOSARMS

Yes, George , you are correct.....By the way, have i sent some pieces to you years ago for gold plating ?? Roghar??? Specialized Outdoor Sports
Old June 22, 2006, 04:11 PM   #7
George R

Sos

Hi. I think you did. Must have been quite a long time ago. I changed my data base three years ago and you're not in the new one. My website is www.gunblue.homestead.com. What's your's?
Old June 22, 2006, 05:26 PM   #8
SOSARMS

George R

Probably was....ours is www.sosarms.us