The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 17, 2013, 04:54 PM   #1
Biner

SIG P226 Slide and Barrel Interchangeability?

I've got two SIG P226 pistols - one an older 9mm (before they had rails) and the other a nearly new Equinox in .40 caliber. I've also the SIG .22 LR conversion kit and have use it on both frames with no problems (As long as I'm using CCI Mini-Mags, but that's another topic.)

My question: Can I use the old 9mm slide and barrel on the newer Equinox frame? It fits fine, but I'm wondering if it could cause problems. My reason for wanting to shoot 9mm on the Equinox frame is just to get more break-in time for the trigger. I realize the .22 kit provides the same trigger break-in, but sometimes I'd rather practice with something a bit bigger than .22.

As an aside, the magazines for the 9mm apparently work fine for feeding .40 cal ammo into the Equinox. DAMHIKT.
Old January 17, 2013, 05:20 PM   #2
sils79

My un-scientific opinion is that you should be fine putting the 9mm slide on the new frame.
Old January 17, 2013, 06:39 PM   #3
Contrast Man

Give Sig a call? They should be able to give you a definite answer on that.
Old January 18, 2013, 09:34 AM   #4
AndyWest

You might be fine mating the older 9mm slide and barrel to your Equinox frame but if you wanna keep the Equinox slide and frame together:

I bought a P226R in 40, then a Bar-Sto 9mm barrel, Mec-Gar 18rd 9mm mags and a 16lb factory 9mm spring:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/842531

Works great.
Old January 18, 2013, 12:02 PM   #5
wgsigs

The slide may fit, but I would be careful about the locking insert matching with the barrel because they are probably different for the two guns/calibers.