The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 9, 2012, 12:38 PM   #1
Vermonter

Tatical Stock on a Hunting Gun

Ok Fellas. I am sure of what I want just down to "stock Options"

I am looking to swap two lesser shotguns for one do it all multi functioning shotgun. I am going to go with a mossberg 500 in mossy oak break up.

I want to do all of the following
Slug Barrel with a red dot for deer hunting and bear hunting
20" Turkey Barrel with adjustable fiberoptic sights
standard feild barrel with adjustable choke tubes for waterfowl and small game
18.5 cylender bore for hd

My only hangup is to go with the standard stock or go with the adjustable tatical model with the pistol grip. I see the advantages in adjustability for season with varying clothing but I wander if anyone finds it difficult to hunt birds with such a stock?

Regards, Vermonter
Old October 9, 2012, 12:51 PM   #2
RedBowTies88

I find it easier to shoot clays with the PG stock on my winchester. It's just so much more comfortable.
Old October 9, 2012, 01:35 PM   #3
scottd913

well i have said it before on other threads but i cant find it rite off so here goes.
for hunting you can set up the m-500 with a factory stock and barrel you wish. if you want a HD shot gun and do not want to have multiple guns you can get a recoil reduction 6 position stock and 18.5 barrel it only takes 10-15 minutes to clean and swap it all out. you could use the same or change forends its your choice...i change mine. the best thing IMO about Mossberg is the possibility's of multiple ways to change it to fit your use...they say you can do the same with the 870 but i use mossberg's.... personal choice is the difference i guess.
Old October 9, 2012, 03:18 PM   #4
TheKlawMan

Some find a Mossberg 500's top tang safety to be incompatible with a tactical pistol grip.
Old October 10, 2012, 05:35 AM   #5
Pistolgripshotty

It all depends on how your grip is...personally I would just try both as an experiment to see what works best for you. 2 stocks are better than one BTW and good luck!
Old October 10, 2012, 07:31 AM   #6
jaguarxk120

What are the two lesser shotguns. You may be swapping out a gun you should keep.
Old October 10, 2012, 03:12 PM   #7
seansean1444

check out the mossberg 535 turkey tactical, seems like everything your looking for if you buy another slug barrel, i have mine and use it for turkeys and deer
Old October 11, 2012, 07:31 PM   #8
Vermonter

I was thinking 500 tatical turkey

Unless the 535 uses 500 barrels.
Old October 11, 2012, 07:52 PM   #9
Chaz88

For most of us money is an issue. I have gone the route of trying to make one gun do multiple things. I think that is a good way to start. Over time, as money allows, I have moved to one gun for a specific task. I have been much happier with results as I have specialized my gun inventory. I have mostly kept the multiple tool guns I had and configured them for the task they do the best or sometimes loan them to people in my shooting club that are short on guns.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old October 12, 2012, 08:05 AM   #10
LSnSC

For a hunting gun forget the tacticool stock, especially if you are going to be wingshooting. The turkey barrel would also be fine for HD.