The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 22, 2010, 11:43 AM   #1
3030tank

7 Mag seating question

Hey guys, still pretty new to reloading, have been doin 30-30 for a little while and have started working up some 7mm rem mag loads.

My question is, when seating my 139 grain btsp bullets, it seems that if I seat the round on the cannelure, there doesnt appear to be enough neck tension on the bullet to keep it seated, I can turn it, or knock it down into the case. I am using a Lee Collet die, and I didnt plan on crimping these rounds as I was told it was not necessary. What am I doin wrong?

Also, for now I am seating the bullet just before the cannelure, is there anything wrong with this as long as I am not exceeding OAL? Will this hurt velocity any with a 139 grain bullet? Thanks alot for any help!
Old February 22, 2010, 12:16 PM   #2
uncyboo

There should be more neck tension than that. First, make sure your bullets measure .284. Then make sure your die's expander ball measures .2825 - .283.
Old February 22, 2010, 12:33 PM   #3
GeauxTide

Yep, I use 139s in 280 and 7mmRM. You're not getting the proper neck tension because the cannelure on those bullets is at full diameter.
Old February 22, 2010, 12:37 PM   #4
Osageshooter

What do you mean by not staying seated? Do you have so much powder in the case that it is pushing the bullet back out? If so, check your powder charge. Either way, agree with uncyboo that this should not be happening.
Old February 22, 2010, 12:45 PM   #5
uncyboo

Quote:
You're not getting the proper neck tension because the cannelure on those bullets is at full diameter.
Could you expand on this a little? I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. If the cannelure is at full diameter, then the problem would be the necks are not sized to .283.

Unless you meant the cannelure isn't at full diameter, as in where the bullet begins to taper forward. I've never used these bullets.
Old February 22, 2010, 09:28 PM   #6
mrawesome22

You're either not putting enough pressure on the handle to fully squeeze the neck down, or you need an undersized mandrel. Measure the mandrel diameter and report back please.