The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old July 10, 2009, 07:45 PM   #1
ninjatoth

Michigan Firearms Laws Quirks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't understand my state laws whatsoever.But,here,any pellet gun is a firearm,and ALL pellet pistols require a pistol permit or to be purchased under a cpl and registered.But,black powder rifles or pistols are NOT even considered firearms!This makes no sense to me.Why limit someone wanting to plink some pellets,yet allow someone to walk the streets with a cap and ball 6 shot musket pistol?What gun is more dangerous and deadly?Duh.And reverse psycology again on this:A pellet rifle(firearm)can be shipped right to your house,yet a black powder rifle or pistol(non-firearm)must be shipped through a FFL dealer.What the HECK??
Old July 11, 2009, 06:07 AM   #2
shaunpain

Are you sure about this? I did some work after the last hurricane in Houston and worked on site with a fellow gun owner from Michigan. What I gathered from him is that any kind of firearm needs a permit to buy, and you must apply for a permit every time you want a new firearm. Unless I just misunderstood something you posted, I hope that helps.

If what I said is true, it sure is a quirky law. As far as pellet guns go, I don't think it's that unreasonable to suggest a high powered pellet gun could be considered a firearm. Many countries have psi and joule limits on what is and is not considered a firearm in the paintball, bb, and pellet community.

I'm just jealous because I always wanted a bb gun and my dad never got me one!! Whatever, I have the real deal Holyfield now!
Old July 11, 2009, 07:14 AM   #3
Les Auten

Quote:
Are you sure about this? I did some work after the last hurricane in Houston and worked on site with a fellow gun owner from Michigan. What I gathered from him is that any kind of firearm needs a permit to buy, and you must apply for a permit every time you want a new firearm. Unless I just misunderstood something you posted, I hope that helps
Pellet firing guns with a rifled barrel are for some odd reason considered firearms.
Quote:
8.3t “Firearm” defined.
Sec. 3t. The word “firearm”, except as otherwise specifically defined in the statutes, shall be construed to include any weapon from which a dangerous projectile may be propelled by using explosives, gas or air as a means of propulsion, except any smooth bore rifle or handgun designed and manufactured exclusively for propelling BB’s not exceeding .177 calibre by means of spring, gas or air.
Purchase permits are only needed for handguns if you do not have a carry permit. No purchase permit is required for long guns.
A blackpowder handgun must be registered if it is going to be fired,but not if it is only used as a display piece.
Old July 11, 2009, 07:49 AM   #4
ninjatoth

Quote:
Are you sure about this? I did some work after the last hurricane in Houston and worked on site with a fellow gun owner from Michigan
as for the blackpowder deal,I have only read a few things about the laws,but am 99% sure they aren't firearms.But the airgun thing,I am 100% sure.ANY PELLET gun is a firearm,and a PELLET pistol needs a permit to buy.But a BB gun rifle,or pistol is NOT a firearm and requires nothing to buy.As for Long guns,regular firearms,no registration is required.Which is yet another quirk of mine.I can buy a semi auto 12 gauge or m16 semi auto rifle at age 18 with no registration at all,but a PELLET PISTOL requires age 21 and a background check and pistol permit.
Old July 11, 2009, 08:39 AM   #5
pendennis

In Michigan -

A black powder revolver has to be purchased as a handgun. Single-shot blackpowder pistols do not.

Air pistols must be purchased as a handgun. Air riflles do not.
Old July 11, 2009, 09:30 AM   #6
freakshow10mm

Blackpowder firearms and are not firearms according to federal law. They are firearms according to MI law. They are not subject to a 4473/NICS check. They do not require a purchase permit for black powder handguns. They are not subject to the pistol registration. They are subject to the CPL laws.
Old July 11, 2009, 09:51 AM   #7
ninjatoth

I can understand Michigan's theology to some degree,but it is much too broad,almost as if they refused to put any time into making fair laws.I understand that most blackpowder guns are muzzleloading single shot guns,as where alot of pellet guns are now precharged pnuematic guns capable of shooting 200 grain pellets at 700fps multiple times.Even the over the counter new pellet guns achieve over 1,000fps now.But again,this is much too broad,because according the michigan,a 6-8 shot cap and ball revolver(just like the old western gunfighters used)Is not a firearm to michigan,yet a 200fps marksman $15 pellet/dart pistol is.Michigan needs to get off their butt and put a little effort into it's lawmaking

Tags
michigan laws firearms