The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old March 25, 2009, 09:53 PM   #1
RyanJ

.45 bullseye gun/load help

Hey guys. I want to thank everyone on this site for their help. I have usally Googled something and always find my answers here. So I joined up.
I shoot bullseye at three of my local ranges. I just got into this and reloading this spring and have come a long way. My problem is that I just can't seem to dial in my S.A. 1911. I bought the gun used and it was set up as a race gun, I threw a frame mounted dot scope on it and haven't had any problems. But the reason I am writing is to get some feedback on making it perfect. The gun is a Springfield Armory .45 Defender 5", I think it has a 16lb spring in it, and I am shooting a local casters 200 gr. SWC, Win primers, with 4.8 grains of 231. I just put in a lighter spring (10lb) and brought my load down to 4.0gr and made a few at 3.8 to see if they will cycle. I shot the 4.0gr the other day and they worked well with no problems. What do you guys think of this set up? Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Ryan

Remember, when seconds count the police are only minutes away.
Old March 25, 2009, 10:28 PM   #2
Casimer

The Defender is a 45 GAP right?
Old March 25, 2009, 10:38 PM   #3
kraigwy

I load 4.5 grns of 231, using either the 200 SWC or 230 grn cast bullets.

I use the same load for 230 gn RN FMJ, (230 grn RN FMJ are required for EIC matches per CMP rules).
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old March 26, 2009, 05:16 AM   #4
darkgael

classic

That 10 lb spring sounds a little light.
You are closing in on a classic Bullseye load. I use 4.0 grains of Bullseye powder and a 200 grain LSWC. For the Long line, I use a 185 jacketed match SWC and 4.9 grains. The 231 variation of this is very close to what you have and as noted by Kraig.
I run a 14lb spring in my Colt.
Pete
Old March 26, 2009, 07:21 PM   #5
RyanJ

Thanks for the help guys.
I was loading 4.5 grains and just dropped to 4.0. The gun has a muzzle brake/compinsator what ever you want to call it as part of the barrel (I used to know who made it but can't remember now). But even with the 4.5 it hits a little hard for trying to place 30 rounds accurately. As for the spring I think it's a 10lb. I am attempting to make a recoil spring pound tester, just haven't had the time yet. It's probably a 12 lb.
How are those jacketed heads working for you? Are there any benifits to a jacketed vs. cast?
Thanks again.

Ryan

Old March 26, 2009, 09:13 PM   #6
darkgael

Remington 185 Match TC - really their old match SWC. A great bullet. Midway sells them and in 12 reviews by what appear to be serious shooters, it was given 5/5 stars by every one. It's very uniform in weight, cuts a nice hole, easy to handle.
I've been using it for years.
Pete
Old March 28, 2009, 07:26 AM   #7
RyanJ

Last night I shot my highest score yet, a 494. That is up from my recent average of 470's 480's. Maybe it's the ammo. Maybe it's because I'm in a better mood with the warmer weather. Who knows. I did shoot 15 rounds the other day at 3.8 grains and the gun functioned perfectly, punched some nice holes. I think I am going to keep it in the 3.8 - 4.0 range. Seems to be working. Thanks again for the help. Ryan

Old April 1, 2009, 08:19 AM   #8
FM12

Ryan, welcome to the forum!! No doubt the increased score is a direct result of having joined TFL! Just think how much better you'll get with each post! Ken
Old April 1, 2009, 07:39 PM   #9
RyanJ

OK,OK. I guess you guys should be thanked for my better score, but really I was planning on droping my grain charge anyway. LOL I did load up some 3.5's and the gun didn't eject resulting in a double load of one live and an attemped spent case. Turns out that 3.8-4.0 is my range. I shot well with the 4.0 so I am going to stick with what works.
I am very glad that I joined The Firing Line. I have gotten great, real, proven feedback from everyone. In addition I posted a want ad for a Beretta pistol and might have a new gun to add to the collection.
Thanks again for the help guys. I will be talking about the website Friday night at the match. Ryan

Old April 6, 2009, 03:22 PM   #10
melchloboo2

Every .45 is different. Some of the classic loads are a good place to start, but really the best approach is trial and error on your gun.

Test your gun from a sandbag rest or ideally a ransom rest to test the ammo.

Also, be conscious of the economics. You can make yourself a practice load using cheaper bullets, and also for the short range legs. At 25yard most loads are going to group about the same. Save your $ for a 50yd. load if it turns out that more expensive bullets perform better for you (which is not always the case).

You can also play with OAL.
Old April 6, 2009, 08:09 PM   #11
The_Vigilante

.45 bullseye gun/load help

RyanJ,

If you haven't already, I would suggest subscribing to the Bullseye list at the following website if you intend to continue shooting Bullseye:
http://lists.lava.net/mailman/listinfo/bullseye-l.