The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old March 2, 2006, 05:40 PM   #1
Doug.38PR

For those who wear A LOT of gear and guns....

Do y'all think y'all would be able to run, roll or jump effectively with a gun on the right, gun on the left, gun in the back, gun in the shoulder holster, gun on the right ankle, gun on the left ankle, knife scabbard in the back, gun in the right pocket, gun in the left pocket, etc. etc. etc. (not to mention where you put all your speedloaders, ammo and magazines)

I have seen polls and posts about people in here who wear more guns than the average cop or footsoldier. Wondering how they could get around quickly...or even get around normally in any kind of comfort.
Old March 2, 2006, 06:35 PM   #2
PythonGuy

A) Read a book
B) Watch a movie
C) Find a woman

You are living in a world that doesn't exist, save yourself for god's sake.
Old March 2, 2006, 06:48 PM   #3
cslinger

I was reading a thread a few years back where some guy was saying that he carried a Glock 26, something like 85 rounds of ammo worth of magazines, a backup snubby, pepper spray, expandable baton, flashlight, handcuffs etc. etc. etc. etc. Now our intrepid adventurer was not a LEO or soldier just somebody who apparently needs to rethink where he travels. At any rate he finished his diatrobe with "I figure I am ready for anything."

The next poster beat me to the punch when he replied with..."OH, yeah, what if you gotta swim."
Old March 2, 2006, 07:06 PM   #4
Twycross

What a silly question. Of course I can do all that running and jumping business! All ninjas can, no matter what they are wearing.
Old March 2, 2006, 07:22 PM   #5
cslinger

You start shooting at me and I will show you just have much running and jumping I am capable of.
Old March 2, 2006, 07:37 PM   #6
RsqVet

Doug --

go to your nearest Marine recruting station, the nice man there will put you in contact with a man who will show you how it is possible to run, jump and do whatever needs to be done while packing a very large load. Plus they will give you 3 meals a day, a nice rifle and enough to do that you will not sit around asking questions such as this.

Have you ever hefted the avarage patrol belt? --- that's a lot of weight and bulk as well.

I understand running but what percentage of civilans do you think ever have to jump or roll?

While I do wonder at some of the posters here who walk the streets with lots of gear, it is possible to do do so and yes to run, jump, crawl and lay down -- and if you have to you will not be thinking about your comfort --- I used to be a firefighter and after a few bad events I started carrying a lot more emergency egress gear in my various bunker pockets -- now I will tell you sometimes after a fire I had bruises or sore spots from the crap I had in my pockets while I was in humping hose and crawling around in the much, but I'd be dammed if I can remember how or where I got them or if I felt anything at the time.

Seriously man do you have nothing better to ask?
Old March 2, 2006, 08:17 PM   #7
riverrat66

Run, roll or jump effectively?

Doug,
You certainly do have a active imagination. But in answer to your question I agree with RsqVet on this one. Go to your nearest recruiting station.
Try to imagine what our guys in Iraq are doing humping their "load" around day in and day out, having to "run, roll or jump effectively" as a means of survival!
Old March 2, 2006, 08:19 PM   #8
rmagill

Pretty easily. I have already sprinted with a gun at 3:00, two spare mags at 8:00, BUG on my ankle, a wallet, keys, and a knife without any significant issue. If the gear is set up properly, other than the added weight, the gear is not going to interfere signicantly with physical activity. Also, depending on the situation, you will not notice the added weight of the equipment because you will be concentrating on the issue, not your gear, and adrenaline has a way of making you not notice insignificant details like well secured equipment.

Last edited by rmagill; March 2, 2006 at 09:17 PM.
Old March 2, 2006, 08:28 PM   #9
Bender711

if the gear is loaded right you wont notice it other than the weight. Although the weight will slow you down. one guy had to run back to the ummm....just cant htink of what its called, to get ammo, he had his m4 and his sigp226 and 9 mags etc, so we said ok well cover you and gogogogo! I've never seen some one run so fast, till he got back with the crate of ammo, the he just dropped.
Old March 2, 2006, 09:19 PM   #10
OBIWAN

A) Read a book
B) Watch a movie
C) Find a woman

Excellent advice
Old March 2, 2006, 09:38 PM   #11
Doug.38PR

I am not talking about people who carry 2 or 3 or even 4 guns. I remember a poll on here (I think I posted it) as to how many guns people carry. It got answers up to 10 guns carried on their persons. Those are the people that this thread is addressed to.
If you are equipped for battle gear and are in a war zone like Iraq or some other third world dung heap, then sure it's easy to put on all that hardwear for use. But a CHL holder that walks the streets of America concealing all weapons under ordinary clothes I would think have a hard time if he had to find himself running or dodging bullets.
Old March 2, 2006, 09:43 PM   #12
Friiguy

Quote:
It got answers up to 10 guns carried on their persons.
Do you really believe such a poll? So naive.... Especially since it on the internet...
Old March 2, 2006, 09:46 PM   #13
Doug.38PR

well it was entered on a reputable site such as this and was ask in good faith. Some people, if I remember right, responded as to how they all carried. It is hard to believe, but who knows, it could conceivably be done...I guess. Let them speak for themselves....heck it might make this post worthwhile for those who answered only to ridicule.
Old March 2, 2006, 10:22 PM   #14
Blackwater OPS

You should rename this thread, "For all Mall Ninjas...."
-Ben Franklin

Spc. Jeremy M. Campbell
Died 9/1/2005
and the best DS ever
MSG Matthew Ritz
Died 11.23.2005
matthewritz.com

For those who have had to fight for it, Life holds a special meaning that the protected will never know.

(\__/)
(='.'=) Someone set us up the bunny!
(")_(")
Old March 2, 2006, 10:38 PM   #15
Ga Johnny

Doug,

What did you ever decide to do about that riot you asked about the other day?
Old March 2, 2006, 10:39 PM   #16
riverrat66

Quote:
It got answers up to 10 guns carried on their persons.
Why for the life of me anyone would need to carry 10 firearms at one time is beyond me. Ifs that the case they are in the wrong neighborhood or just plain nuts!
Old March 2, 2006, 11:34 PM   #17
kennybs plbg

Heck after 25 years I still haven't mastered keeping my pants up with just one.

kenny b
Old March 3, 2006, 12:42 AM   #18
Mikeyboy

A big biker guy goes up to Doug and asks what time is it... and 4 guns, 5 speedloaders, 3 knives, 2 OC sprays, a pair of nunchucks and 7 chinese stars come clinking out of Doug's trenchcoat, as he tuck and rolls.

Seriously Doug are you in LE??? Are you in Witness protection??? NO??? Then I'm going to limit ya...One gun,one speedloader/magazine, one BUG, one knife and some OC Spray THAT IS ALL YOU'll EVER NEED, No other guns will be needed for SD in the house or car if you carry this with you all the time. OK your allowed a rifle and/or a shotgun for your home and that is it. All your other excess guns I want you to sell, and use the money to upgrade what you got or for something non-gun related. If your Catholic give up thinking about tactics for Lent.

I will be honest with you, I lived in Philly and NYC and walked thru some bad,bad neighborhoods. As a young white guy I was way out of my element. I NEVER carried a gun (I had carried other things) and nothing serious ever happened. I was threatened, but I was over 6 foot and in shape. Why do I have a CCW now...I'm getting old, fat and I have kids to protect. I carry a knife almost 24/7, and sometimes I carry some OC and a handgun(5 round in my 642 and no extra ammo ). I don't live in a high crime area. Unless you live in a high crime area, you need to stand down a little.

Relax, Relax, Relax. We are starting to worry, buddy.
Old March 3, 2006, 01:08 AM   #19
Jericho9mm

When ever I think about people trying to be "tactical" this pic always comes to mind...

Last edited by Jericho9mm; March 3, 2006 at 02:09 AM.
Old March 3, 2006, 02:12 AM   #20
Optical Serenity

Jericho9mm, I needed that! LOL

More on topic though, I do all my training with my uniform and all my gear on...
Old March 3, 2006, 02:38 AM   #21
festergrump

Quote:
"Do y'all think y'all would be able to run, roll or jump effectively with a gun on the right, gun on the left, gun in the back, gun in the shoulder holster, gun on the right ankle, gun on the left ankle, knife scabbard in the back, gun in the right pocket, gun in the left pocket, etc. etc. etc."
When this happened to me I was boarding a train in Germany bound for Naples. I left the gun in my shoulder holster alone and simply showed the men my travel papers. They let me board and left me alone after that... I never jumped or rolled around at all. Very pleasant trip, actually...