The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 28, 2016, 10:34 AM   #1
Clark

Choices of charities with Amazon smile... NRA?

What gets the most pro gun bang for the buck in charities?

Amazon is going to contribute, so I have to pick something.

I just gave $150 on the phone to the NRA, MY money, but I don't know which sect.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nra amazon choices.JPG (119.4 KB, 36 views)
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old January 28, 2016, 10:40 AM   #2
LockedBreech

I contributed to the NRA CDF for about a year with Smile, but stopped because as a member for the past 7 years I don't like how the NRA has shifted from pro-gun to pro-fringe-conservative. I'm pretty sure the Rifleman has had as many Obama covers as covers with guns on them at this point.

I think my Smile account is now set to Charity: Water
Old January 28, 2016, 11:23 AM   #3
BarryLee

There are three key facts about Political Leaders and the NRA:

1) One Political Party has made increasing gun control part of their national platform.

2) One Political Party has made defending the Second Amendment part of their national platform.

3) The NRA supports political leaders who support the Second Amendment.

Instead of demonizing the NRA for defending the Second Amendment maybe the critics should focus on the leaders of the party who make expanding gun control part of their platform. I suspect the NRA would welcome true supporters of the Second Amendment from all parties and gladly support their election/re-election efforts.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old January 28, 2016, 11:54 AM   #4
BobCat45

Clark, I do not know the answer to your question about most bang for the buck, but mine is set to NRA Civil Rights Defense Fund. It says it was established to be involved in court cases to establish legal precedents favoring gun owners.

I'm afraid I buy so little on Amazon that my contribution is paltry, but I do send some dough to the NRA-ILA when I can.
Old January 28, 2016, 04:57 PM   #5
johnwilliamson062

Mine is set to SAF.

If I could split it with charity water I probably would.
Old January 28, 2016, 07:39 PM   #6
LockedBreech

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryLee View Post
There are three key facts about Political Leaders and the NRA:

1) One Political Party has made increasing gun control part of their national platform.

2) One Political Party has made defending the Second Amendment part of their national platform.

3) The NRA supports political leaders who support the Second Amendment.

Instead of demonizing the NRA for defending the Second Amendment maybe the critics should focus on the leaders of the party who make expanding gun control part of their platform. I suspect the NRA would welcome true supporters of the Second Amendment from all parties and gladly support their election/re-election efforts.

I've been an NRA member for 7 years. I pay my dues and that means I have the standing to criticize them. They VERY regularly paint "liberals" and "Democrats" as one group despite there being a LOT of pro-gun liberals and Democrats.

If you're politically moderate (as I identify) the conservative-fringe pandering by the NRA hasn't even been subtle.

I consider my NRA dues-paying a necessary evil. If I could support a group who supported pro-gun politicians without all the [redacted, almost forgot TFL doesn't do politics] folks getting a boost I'd do so in a heartbeat.

I'll stop derailing the post now. But I reserve the right to criticize any group of which I'm a dues-paying member.

SAF is outstanding, legal focus without political nonsense, didn't know they were on Smile and I may change to them.

Last edited by LockedBreech; January 28, 2016 at 07:47 PM.
Old January 29, 2016, 06:58 AM   #7
AirForceShooter

SAF here too

AFS
Old January 29, 2016, 01:57 PM   #8
BobCat45

Thanks johnwilliamson062 for pointing out that SAF is an option. Excellent!
Old January 29, 2016, 11:18 PM   #9
FrankenMauser

I have SAF selected.
Old January 30, 2016, 09:38 AM   #10
johnwilliamson062

I wonder if the money SAF receives from Amazon is published anywhere. I bet it is pretty significant.
Old January 30, 2016, 10:39 AM   #11
Nathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryLee
Which one is that? The NRA needs refocused on beating gun control over beating down Democrats.
Old February 1, 2016, 01:38 PM   #12
NJgunowner

Nathan, since the democrats are the ones pushing gun control I'm not sure what your arguing about? Almost every (if not every) democrat at the federal level has signed off on every major gun control proposal in the last 10 years.
Old February 1, 2016, 05:35 PM   #13
BarryLee

Ok, again, my intent wasn’t to attack any particular party, but to point out that the NRA supports candidates who support the Second Amendment. I would love to see a majority of candidates in both parties supporting the Second Amendment, but that doesn’t appear to be the case. If we want the NRA supporting more candidates in the other party maybe someone should encourage those individuals to support the Second Amendment.

As for the platform issues one party stated: We recognize that the individual right to bear arms is an important part of the American tradition, and we will preserve Americans' Second Amendment right to own and use firearms. We believe that the right to own firearms is subject to reasonable regulation. We understand the terrible consequences of gun violence; it serves as a reminder that life is fragile, and our time here is limited and precious. We believe in an honest, open national conversation about firearms. We can focus on effective enforcement of existing laws, especially strengthening our background check system, and we can work together to enact commonsense improvements—like reinstating the assault weapons ban and closing the gun show loophole—so that guns do not fall into the hands of those irresponsible, law-breaking few.

The other party stated: We uphold the right of individuals to keep and bear arms, a right which antedated the Constitution and was solemnly confirmed by the Second Amendment. We acknowledge, support, and defend the law-abiding citizen’s God-given right of self-defense. We call for the protection of such fundamental individual rights recognized in the Supreme Court’s decisions in District of Columbia v. Heller and McDonald v. Chicago affirming that right, and we recognize the individual responsibility to safely use and store firearms. This also includes the right to obtain and store ammunition without registration. We support the fundamental right to self-defense wherever a law-abiding citizen has a legal right to be, and we support federal legislation that would expand the exercise of that right by allowing those with state-issued carry permits to carry firearms in any state that issues such permits to its own residents. Gun ownership is responsible citizenship, enabling Americans to defend their homes and communities. We condemn frivolous lawsuits against gun manufacturers and oppose federal licensing or registration of law-abiding gun owners. We oppose legislation that is intended to restrict our Second Amendment rights by limiting the capacity of clips or magazines or otherwise restoring the ill-considered Clinton gun ban. We condemn the reckless actions associated with the operation known as “Fast and Furious,” conducted by the Department of Justice, which resulted in the murder of a U.S. Border Patrol Agent and others on both sides of the border. We applaud the Members of the U.S. House of Representatives in holding the current Administration’s Attorney General in contempt of Congress for his refusal to cooperate with their investigation into that debacle. We oppose the improper collection of firearms sales information in the four southern border states, which was imposed without congressional authority.

So, just looking at the party philosophies it seems understandable why the NRA might support one over the other. Again, if we want the NRA to support more politicians in the other party let’s find ways to get those politicians to support the Second Amendment.

https://www.democrats.org/party-plat...eater-together

https://www.gop.com/platform/we-the-people/
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old February 1, 2016, 07:01 PM   #14
turkeestalker

Excellent post BarryLee.
If you actually take the time to read intuitively, it's kind of a 'slam dunk'.