The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old September 1, 2009, 10:07 PM   #1
essohbe

Need info on the 9mm Largo

Hey there all,

I recently saw a Mod. A, Spanish Air Force, 9mm Largo for sale and since it is a C&R I thought I might pick one up if it was a 9x19mm but I don't know much, if anything at all, about it. Basically I'm just looking for more info since an internet search wouldn't let me veiw any of the web results for whatever reason.

Is it chambered for 9x18 or 9x19?
How many rounds does it hold and also how reliable have they been?

Thanks for helping me out if you can.
Old September 1, 2009, 10:10 PM   #2
kwells6

its 9x21
Old September 1, 2009, 10:13 PM   #3
Maromero

Wikipedia. Great reference tool.
Old September 2, 2009, 07:55 PM   #4
HeroHog

HERE is where the answers are for all things Largo: http://www.9mmlargo.com/index.htm

I don't have NEAR enough ammo on hand. `Nuff said.
Old September 2, 2009, 09:27 PM   #5
essohbe

Thanks for the link.

Yes, Maromero, I know to wiki it. You missed the part of my original post where I explained nothing was coming up whereever I looked. Anything with the word "9mm largo" turned up internet explorer error pages.
Old September 2, 2009, 10:15 PM   #6
Jim Watson

Quote:
its 9x21
No, not really.

It is 9x23 but must NOT be shot with the very hot 9x23 Winchester.
9x23 Largo is the Spanish version of the 9mm Bergman Bayard and it is about like the old .38 ACP. Not .38 Super, either.

Most of the cheap ammo for these has been plinked up.
Old September 3, 2009, 06:26 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

Many Spanish pistols made for export to the U.S. or South America have the chamber countersunk for the .38 ACP rim and the breech face slightly enlarged as well. Those will fire both the 9mm Largo and the .38 ACP. The locked breech guns will also fire the .38 Super with no problem, but straight 9mm Largo pistols often will not accept the .38 ACP/Super case.

The .38 Super should not be fired in the blowback Astras, and especially not in the blowback Jo-Lo-Ar pistols which, IMHO, should not even be fired with 9mm Largo.

Jim
Old September 7, 2009, 03:31 PM   #8
HeroHog

.38 Super is NOT to be fired in ANY Largo gun. They simply were NOT designed to handle that much pressure. The 9x23 largo is hotter than your standard 9mm 9x19 but not THAT much hotter.

I don't have NEAR enough ammo on hand. `Nuff said.
Old September 7, 2009, 03:54 PM   #9
Buck Conner

Star A: The Spanish Army officially adopted the Astra 400 in 1921 as its standard service pistol (at that time), a lot of troops, especially officers and senior NCOs as well as the Guardia Civil (Paramilitary Security Force) did not like the Astra 400, feeling it was simply too big and complicated. They preferred the Star Model A, which was essentially a Colt M-1911 rechambered for the 9mm Largo cartridge. The Guardia Civil adopted the Model A in 1922 as its own service weapon, and many senior military troops and police also used the Model A instead of the Astra 400.

As with the M-1911, the Model A uses a 5-inch barrel and has essentially the same shape and natural pointing qualities of the M-1911. The Model A initially had no grip safety, but one was added in 1924. The shape of the hammer differs from that of the M-1911, being quite a bit smaller, and the beavertail is also much smaller. The Model A’s trigger mechanism is also somewhat different, and the Model A uses an external extractor instead of an internal one. Unfortunately, the Model A used rather tiny sights (as was common with many Spanish pistols of that time period), making aiming problematic, and acquiring a quick sight picture virtually impossible.

In 1946, several other changes and features were introduced. A chamber-loaded indicator was added, and a special disassembly catch was also devised that made stripping and reassembly far easier than before (easier than even the M-1911A1). This version was called the Super A, and it remained in production until 1989 – but still did not outlast the Model A in production: Model A production lasted into the mid-1990s. The Super A is identical to the Model A for game purposes.

Though almost all Model A’s and Super A’s were chambered for 9mm Largo, a few other chamberings were also produced.

Also see:

http://www.9mmlargo.com/

http://9mmlargo.com/cartridge/index.htm
NAF Mountaineer Degree
Old September 7, 2009, 08:45 PM   #10
James K
Member In Memoriam

Yes, HeroHog, I know, having read it hundreds of times in writings by people who specialize in myths. Actually the Super Star and Llama Extra will handle the .38 Super with no problems if they are set up for the semi-rimmed round. (Even the .38 Super +P runs about the same pressure as the standard 9mmP, 35,000 psi.)

The same writers almost always tell us that the Astra 400 will fire the 9mm Largo, .38 ACP, 9mm P, .380 ACP, 9mm Steyr, etc., etc. One writer even said it will fire the .357 Magnum and .38 Special! Now that would be real versatility.

Jim
Old September 11, 2009, 06:37 PM   #11
gyvel

Until they went belly up, FAC out of Minnesota were selling replacement barrels in 9x19 (9mm "Luger" or "Parabellum," if you prefer). I purchased one as the barrel in my Super was basically a sewer pipe and no great loss. It went in with no fitting at all, and has functioned flawlessly ever since. As the collectibility of ex-Spanish military Star Supers in Largo is not a real high priority at the present time, it has made an otherwise so-so pistol an excellent shooter.

Look around as those barrels occasionally pop up from time to time.

Last edited by gyvel; September 12, 2009 at 09:00 PM.

Tags
c&r pistol , spanish 9mm largo