The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 29, 2012, 10:09 AM   #1
Single Six

Browning Buck Mark: What's The Deal?

I'm about to sell my Ruger 22/45. I'm thinking I'll need another .22 to replace it with. Can any Browning Buck Mark owners fill me in on whether or not these guns are worth having? I'm considering the stainless model. Thanks.
Old October 29, 2012, 10:24 AM   #2
PSP

I have two Buckmarks. The main feature I would comment on is the excellent trigger they have, better than the Ruger IMHO. I compare the Browning to the famed Colt Woodsman. Either brands are as accurate as the shooter. Personally, I prefer the Brownings to the Ruger for ergonomic reasons, but that's strickly an opinion. Brownings are good, reliable, accurate .22lrs at a reasonable price.
Old October 29, 2012, 10:53 AM   #3
pilpens

I have 2 browning Buckmark Bullseye - very good pistols.
Different but just as good as the Rugers.
I had 3 MKIIs, gave one out as a gift. So, 2 left.
I might be adding a 22/45 or a SR22 soon -- 22/45 if GF likes it more than SR22.
=========
Buck Issues:
1. Sight rail screws keep loosening. Sometimes, the barrel screw backs out, too. Locktite will keep the screws from backing out but I think it caused the screw head of the rear screw to break off on one of the my pistols. Browning fixed it for free. Otherwise, it would have been a real pain.
2. Loose ejector wire. It has been wobbly for a while but has not caused any problems.
=========
Ruger MKII -- Trigger may need work out-of-the-box. 1 MKII had loose frame/upper receiver fit after many thousand rounds. Easily fixed with a C clamp.
=========
If I were to get a 22 now (for me), 22/45 with wood grip panels or MKIII with a 5-5.5 barrel and adjustable rear sight.
=========
Old October 29, 2012, 11:19 AM   #4
Spammy_H

I have 2 Buckmarks in the family as well, and am very pleased with them. Great, fun little shooters.

Haven't really experienced any problems with either of them, but I can see how the rear sight screw could back out. I can also see how blue loctite would fix it.
Old October 29, 2012, 11:27 AM   #5
scottl

Quote:
Buck Issues:
1. Sight rail screws keep loosening. Sometimes, the barrel screw backs out, too. Locktite will keep the screws from backing out but I think it caused the screw head of the rear screw to break off on one of the my pistols.
My barrel screw had factory thread locker on the threads but still backed out.A little red locktite helped it stay tight.

My sight screw backed out one time.Figured out the problem.I left out part #58 in the diagram on the rear screw.No problem since.
Old October 29, 2012, 12:36 PM   #6
Cheapshooter

I have been very pleased with my Buckmark Camper. Reliable, and accurate.
But as to your Ruger 22/45
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old October 29, 2012, 12:47 PM   #7
Single Six

Cheapshooter: You're right, I know you are! I've done very well on that lately. Except for my newer guns, all the others have been [and will continue to be] in my possession for years. BUT, I'm just not happy with the 22/45. Think well of me, my friend...I promise I won't let this become a habit!

Last edited by Single Six; October 29, 2012 at 01:07 PM.
Old October 29, 2012, 02:35 PM   #8
anothernewb

I've been super happy with both of the buckmarks I've owned. between the 2 they've got close to 10,000 down the barrel and I can't remember if either one has ever jammed. I'm sure they have, but it's been so infrequent that I really have to think about it.

The accuracy has been great with both as well. - easily on par with any of the other high-accuracy pistols I've seen. I will agree that the teardown is superior to my buddies 22/45
Old October 29, 2012, 02:53 PM   #9
tailchain

Love my Buckmark, didn't really think I would because I was used to a vintage Model 41 Smith. But after I did the spring flip deal that I learned on this site, I really think my Buckmark has almost as good a trigger as my Smith, well, almost. Anyway, I shoot my Buckmark way more than my Smith these day, it is a lot less to carry and fits a holster well.
Old October 29, 2012, 03:23 PM   #10
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Cheapshooter: You're right, I know you are! I've done very well on that lately. Except for my newer guns, all the others have been [and will continue to be] in my possession for years. BUT, I'm just not happy with the 22/45. Think well of me, my friend...I promise I won't let this become a habit!
Well I guess all rules have exceptions. With something as common as a Ruger 22/45 one can be made. However, the Browning, and Ruger are very much alike so make sure before you make the move.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old October 29, 2012, 04:08 PM   #11
solitude127

Why don't you like your 22/45 anymore?
Old October 29, 2012, 04:37 PM   #12
itchy1

Keep the 22/45 if you can and have both! I highly reccomend a Buckmark as they do have sweeter triggers out of the box. Mine has become my favorite .22 since I acquired it a little over a month ago. I may get another in SS or with the slab barrel just to have something a little different.
Old October 29, 2012, 05:34 PM   #13
Single Six

Solitude: Okay, I'll admit it. I don't care for the way it fits in my hand, and the barrel is a bit too long [my fault on both counts; I should have noticed all of that before I bought it at the gun show]. It's also a real pain in the butt to disassemble for cleaning! I should have thought about that too, and researched it better before plunking down my money. Still, any gun whose manufacturer recommends the use of a rubber mallet for taking it apart is a bit much for me.
Old October 29, 2012, 05:45 PM   #14
solitude127

You're right, I found it to be a pain to take apart but after a few times, it got a lot easier.
Old October 29, 2012, 08:56 PM   #15
jfrey

My BM is great. As accurate as any S&W 41. 2# trigger breaks very clean and not a problem so far. I have 4 or 5 bricks through it and it likes the Blazer the best.
Old October 29, 2012, 08:59 PM   #16
Single Six

Solitude: Jeez, pipe down, will ya?! If my wife reads your last post, she'll try to prevent me from selling it!!
Old October 30, 2012, 05:19 PM   #17
thinkingman

I have two Rugers, one with VQ internals, and a BM.
The Rugers haven't been out in years, the BM every time I go to the range.
Old October 30, 2012, 07:03 PM   #18
idek

I have a Buckmark and I do like it, but I admit that it doesn't like the real cheap ammo. With Remington Golden Bullet, I may get a failure to fire once every two magazines or so. Granted, a lot of guns don't like Remington Golden ammo, but my 10/22 eats it up reliably, so I wonder if my Buckmark doesn't hit the primers as well. Fortunately, spending just a little more for CCI Blaser ammo (still cheap) eliminates almost all misfires.

Before buying my Buckmark, I also considered the Ruger MkIII and 22/45. I liked the 22/45 grip the least and the Buckmark grip the best, and that is why I chose the Buckmark. That said. you might try putting a Hogue Handall on your 22/45 before giving up on it (unless you really just want a different gun ).