The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 24, 2012, 09:00 AM   #1
KBP

Old Winchester Model 94

Bought an old Winchester Model 94 in 32 Special and the rifles in great shape for its age except for the receiver which is missing the blueing and rough but not rusted or pitted. What can I do to make the receiver look better, and protect it from fruther deteriation? Duracoat? reblueing or any ideas? This is not a showpiece or a safequeen. Will doing anything ruin the value of this 1941 rifle?
Old January 24, 2012, 09:20 AM   #2
eastbank

yes, clean off any active rust with oil and 0000 steel wool. and then leave it alone. use it as is,it is a fine rifle that will last your life time and longer. eastbank.

Last edited by eastbank; April 23, 2012 at 04:16 AM.
Old January 24, 2012, 09:22 AM   #3
captianpattson

A 1941 is getting on the verge of an antique, in which case you never want to refinish it just keep it well oiled to prevent any rust. If it truly isn't worth anything as a collectors item and the receiver is made of true steel I recommend rebluing it. You can get a cold bluing kit from birchwood casey for $25 and learn a new skill. Duracoat is for more modern guns that have no collectors value and you just want to keep it protected, not for an old beauty like that. Just my $.02
Old January 24, 2012, 11:11 AM   #4
Fleet

If collector value doesn't concern you, it's your rifle to do with as you please. Duracoat is a good option.
Old January 25, 2012, 09:03 AM   #5
dahermit

It is best to not do anything to the metal. Despite its well-used condition, its value will keep increasing...unless you screw it up. Do not go nuts with oil, it will be absorbed into the wood ruining it. Do not cold blue/re-blue the metal; anything you do to it will lower the value, if not now, for the future value.
Old January 25, 2012, 09:40 AM   #6
JWT

As others have said, clean it up and leave it alone beyond that.

If you can't resist having it refinished, get it done by a professional who knows how to do it properly. Home blue and cold blue generally get less than satisfactory results.
Old January 25, 2012, 06:10 PM   #7
mdevlin53

I have an old pre 64 94 in 30-30 (me and a million other guys) My dad had it and he knew next to nothing about gun care. it hung in his basement on two nails for many years, the finish iss worse for the wear and pitted. i buffed it with fine steel wool and put a light coat of oil on it. looks like a gun with 50 plus years on it and it has a lot of character. Thats just the way i like it. I would not refinish it just prevent any more damage from happening
Old January 28, 2012, 12:36 PM   #8
KBP

Old Winchester Model 94

Thanks for everyones advice and ideas! I've decided not to refinish or do anything to my rifle. This makes the most sense. The wood is about 95% and other than some of the blueing worn off the receiver, the metal is without any scratches or damage at all! The bore shines like new and the action is tight. Not many 1941 Winchesters in 32 Special can be easily found in this condition. This is the way I will keep it. Ken PS Here is a pic of the rifle.MVC-024S.JPG