The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 30, 2010, 01:03 PM   #1
alwayspackin1

Remington New brass?

I have typically used Winchester brass when I am buying new unfired brass, but i was looking into buying Remington brass this time around, due to better availability.

I have always had good results from Winchester, but i was going to get the general consensus on Remy brass before i ordered it.

thanks in advance for any advice
Old August 30, 2010, 01:04 PM   #2
DiscoRacing

I use alot of RP in .223... with just as good of results as with win.
Old August 30, 2010, 01:16 PM   #3
demigod

R-P .223 brass is one of my favorites. I love finding once fired Rem brass at the range.
Old August 30, 2010, 01:31 PM   #4
sc928porsche

I dont do benchrest compettition, so the wihchester, remington and star work well for me.
Old August 30, 2010, 01:58 PM   #5
FrankenMauser

My personal preference between the two waivers, due to quality control changes (comes and goes, as the years pass). Right now, I would definitely put Remington above Winchester. All the recent Winchester brass I have bought (last 3 years), looked like it was made by a bicycle repairman, using rocks and a wooden mallet to form it, in a thatch hut, on an Indonesian island, and smuggled to the U.S. in a shipping container full of gravel and anvils. (And that's not addressing horribly unbalanced case wall thicknesses, and case mouths that can be lop-sided by more than 0.050"!)

Right now, Remington is definitely the better brass.

Often, it's a toss up for out-of-the-box quality. However, Remington brass has always lasted longer for me than Winchester (any of the stamps, W-W, Super-X, etc), and the current quality issues push Winchester below S&B and PMC in my list of preferred head stamps (and I hate PMC's off-center and under-sized flash holes - but they know how to keep case wall thickness even, and case mouths as square as is expected).
Old August 30, 2010, 02:12 PM   #6
Unclenick
Staff

Remington is outsourcing brass and bullets overseas in many instances, so the quality seems to have become catch as catch can. I don't know if Winchester is doing the same, but the last new brass I bought of theirs (.30-06, last year) was on par with past brass.

Assuming all brass is made to the maker's drawings, Winchester pistol brass typically has thicker necks and lasts for more reloadings. In .45 ACP, for example, I still won't even pick up free R-P brass at the range, as the thin mouths case-harden so fast and become springy enough to cease to resize adequately in my equipment, and then they can't hold onto a bullet. That's tolerable loading singly, as you can stop and check the size after resizing, and pitch out offenders then, but in a progressive press it stops the action, so I just don't even want to put them in the machine.

Rifle brass is another matter. There, Winchester is usually lighter and has more case capacity, so you may need to reduce loads developed in Winchester for use in Remington. Remington tends to be close to military spec brass in .30-06 and is inbetween Winchester and Military brass in .308. In .223, Winchester, Remington, and military brass is all pretty close, so it doesn't seem to matter there. I came to prefer Remington for .30-06 for the Garand when I couldn't get Lake City because it let me use the loads I developed in Lake City brass. In the .30-06 bolt guns I favor Winchester for its little bit of extra capacity (almost a grain and a half extra water capacity) and about the same for .308, which is good for long range.

In general, because of the .308 situation, I reduce Winchester brass rifle loads by about 5% and work back up in other brands of cases.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old August 30, 2010, 03:44 PM   #7
dahermit

Back in the 60's, Winchester .44 spl. brass had issues with inconsistent thickness of the case rims. In the 2000's, Winchester still has issues with inconsistent thickness of case rims.
Old August 31, 2010, 09:11 AM   #8
Sevens

If we are talking rifle brass, I have no worthwhile opinion.

If the component brass you buy is DIFFERENT than the brass you get from new factory ammo, I also have nothing to help.

If we are going on the quality of the brass in pistol/handguns rounds from factory ammo then Winchester kicks the ever loving crap out of Remington.

Remington factory pistol brass is the thinnest I can find by any manufacturer in the case mouth. It doesn't seem to be bad brass and it doesn't seem to have a shorter life than the others, but what I have found is that you can't get the same amount of came mouth tension with jacketed bullets on the slim side when you use R-P stamped pistol brass. Seems to be a tad worse with their nickel plated pistol brass.

In semi-auto handguns, this is crucial because poor case mouth tension can lead to unintended bullet setback when the round is violently jacked in to the chamber.

Outside of A-Merc, R-P is by far my least favorite pistol brass because of this issue. I'd rather have Magtech/CBC, S&B, Federal, Fiocchi, or anything else that regularly makes folks' "unwanted" lists.

I tend to use my R-P pistol brass for cast lead bullet loads... where I know the bullet is a thousandth bigger, giving me a hedge against the weak case mouth tension.
Old August 31, 2010, 09:31 AM   #9
demigod

Interesting comments on the R-P pistol brass. I've never had any problems using it in 45acp.

FC (Federal) brass (specifically in 9mm) is the only pistol brass I try to dump straight into the recycler. Thin case mouth walls and poor case mouth tension in the past is why I still can that brass. 9mm is so easy to get that you can be picky about what you decide to keep.
Old August 31, 2010, 09:43 AM   #10
Unclenick
Staff

Interesting that what you describe for Federal is exactly my experience with Remington in .45 ACP. I won't even load lead bullets into Remington because the lubrication makes it possible to push the bullets into the case with my thumb. I first noticed this issue using a Lyman carbide die I got back in the early 80's, IIRC. I would get something like two or three load cycles before it became an issue. Current die dimensions may have tightened a bit, but I haven't bothered to try.

I've never noticed an issue with Federal .45 ACP, at least not for target loads. The stuff is soft enough that it never seems to get springy. I don't run 9 mm, so I can't comment on that.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old August 31, 2010, 09:51 AM   #11
Jimmy10mm

I was on Midway or maybe it was Cabella's website the other day looking at 10mm brass. Starline was a lot cheaper than Winchester. Is Starline of a good quality ? Is it USA made ?

Edit; Just went to the Starline website and I see they are made in Missouri.

Last edited by Jimmy10mm; August 31, 2010 at 09:55 AM. Reason: more info
Old August 31, 2010, 10:18 AM   #12
flyguy958

I have had no issues with Starline brass. Great customer service and a very good product. Made in the states too.
Old August 31, 2010, 10:58 AM   #13
CowTowner

I'll throw a thumbs up for Starline. It never has disappointed me for either my 10mm or my 41 Mag loads.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old August 31, 2010, 11:06 AM   #14
Xfire68

Quote:
I have typically used Winchester brass when I am buying new unfired brass, but i was looking into buying Remington brass this time around, due to better availability.

I have always had good results from Winchester, but i was going to get the general consensus on Remy brass before i ordered it.

thanks in advance for any advice
What caliber? What are you using it for? Hunting, Target?
Old August 31, 2010, 12:42 PM   #15
demigod

Quote:
I won't even load lead bullets into Remington because the lubrication makes it possible to push the bullets into the case with my thumb
Ah! I'm only using jacketed/plated bullets. My FC 9mm brass issue was partially due to a weird resizing die. FC was the only brass that I could push bullets back with my fingers.

I replaced the resizing die and all flavors of brass would hold a bullet, but I still am leary of FC in 9mm.
Old August 31, 2010, 04:49 PM   #16
Sevens

Hey demigod, if you look at all the current FC headstamped brass, you'll find that it's pretty much exactly the same as anything marked "CCI", "Speer" or "Blazer." ATK has them all being built by the same equipment (my assumption, anyway). You can see the similarity in the case head, which seems to be ever so slightly concave... it's extruded brass, so I've read.

The point I'm trying to make it... your FC embargo may continue, but I'll bet you can make a distinction at the bench between the old FC and the current FC, which had a small dot on either side of the "FC" on the case head.

And if you don't make a distinction, you should probably scrap all your new brass that says, "CCI", "Speer" or "Blazer" on it, too.

The way I can tell I've got a piece of R-P pistol brass on my press? Simple -- nothing I have in my supply feels the same on the mouth flaring stage. R-P offers the least resistance, by far, and it's easily felt at the press handle.
Old August 31, 2010, 09:37 PM   #17
TXGunNut

Big fan of RP brass but in recent years have been sorting it by weight and trimming new brass after the first sizing. Deburring the flash hole takes time as well. Love the Starline brass for my BPCR stuff and .45 Colt. Have a few WW cases that I use for 35 Rem and can't see any difference between them and the loads using RP cases. Kinda curious about Lapua, may try them when I need more 30-06 brass.
I shoot component and factory loaded RP rifle brass, Sevens. Haven't noticed a difference.
Unclenick, just checked a couple of 100 ct bags of RP brass from Cabelas. Only thing interesting is the text stating that the contents were packaged by Black Hills Shooters' Supply. Any idea which cases they're outsourcing?
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old August 31, 2010, 10:43 PM   #18
alwayspackin1

Sorry Xfire...

should have been more specific.

I am speaking mostly in terms of .223 rifle brass, but i have also bought some Winchester 38spl and 9mm brass.
Old September 1, 2010, 10:02 AM   #19
demigod

Quote:
Hey demigod, if you look at all the current FC headstamped brass, you'll find that it's pretty much exactly the same as anything marked "CCI", "Speer" or "Blazer." ATK has them all being built by the same equipment (my assumption, anyway). You can see the similarity in the case head, which seems to be ever so slightly concave... it's extruded brass, so I've read.
Yeah. The brass I have is from old stock of freezer bags in my garage. I haven't messed with any current production ATK FC 9mm brass.
Old September 4, 2010, 12:34 PM   #20
Blacklabelz

I've used both new Win and Rem brass in .45, .40, .38, and .223.

I can't tell the difference. They are both great.
Old September 4, 2010, 01:21 PM   #21
wncchester

"I've used both new Win and Rem brass...I can't tell the difference. They are both great."

Add Federal and I agree. There seems to be as much difference between lots of the same brand as between brands. At there worst, they are all plenty good for me. And I ain't real easy to please.

Fed is a bit softer and expands the primer pockets faster in high intensity loads but if it's loaded "normally" it lasts longer than others for me.