The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 25, 2014, 05:48 PM   #1
Cheapshooter

Remington R51 Redoux?

Quote:
Remington has been dealing with the R51 situation for some time. In fact a team of engineers was put on the project and dedicated to address and correct the R-51’s problems and the contributing production methods. They are very confident the new R-51 pistol will be ready for sale in late October early November once the present customers guns are replaced.
So, my question. Has any of those "present customers" guns been delivered? If so, have all the problems been solved?
I really like the look, and feel of the R51, and am anxious to own one. But a little hesitant, gun shy pardon the pun, to buy one if and when they return to the market.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old October 26, 2014, 05:01 PM   #2
Sparks1957

I am curious about what is happening with the R51, too. I had ordered one early on, but didn't take delivery after the bad press started to come in on the early production models.

I am still intrigued by the design and the potential if Remington can get it right with a second attempt. I hope we get some news.
Old October 26, 2014, 05:07 PM   #3
Uncle Malice

I never really did have much interest in the R-51, but with as bad as that thing was, I think I would wait like 5 years before getting one if I were interested.... we need to REALLY see how these things are going to do after a total revamp.
Old October 26, 2014, 05:42 PM   #4
Cheapshooter

5 years???.LOL
I don't think it will take that long to tell if the problems are worked out.
Old October 26, 2014, 11:11 PM   #5
shinerjohn

I can speak only for myself. I returned my R51 and have not received a new, replacement R51 at this time. There has been no communication since they stated they would begin production of the new R51 beginning in October 2014.
Old October 26, 2014, 11:16 PM   #6
Model12Win

I wish the Big Green luck on R51 v. 2

But, as it were me and my kin will stay away for the time bein methinks. Sooo many QC errors in v. 1 that it was kinda scary. Makes me shudder.
Old October 26, 2014, 11:58 PM   #7
LockedBreech

*sigh*

I still really want one. But not until the relaunch is complete and they've been proven for like...two years.
Old October 27, 2014, 05:57 AM   #8
Uncle Malice

Yep. I think that will be the guns downfall. Even if v2 is squared away, not many people are going to buy it. You only get one chance at a first impression and they blew it.

It may turn out to be a great gun, but I think they spoiled their reputation on this one.
Old October 27, 2014, 08:29 AM   #9
Wishoot

I was very interested when this gun was first announced.

Based on how poorly this gun was rolled-out, I've lost interest in pretty much all new Remington products.

They are not even close to the same company that produced my 30 year old Wingmaster.
Old October 27, 2014, 01:28 PM   #10
Bart Noir

And the race it on!

The race between the Walther CCP (slim, single stack, low recoil small 9mm) and the Gen 2 R51 (slim, single stack, low recoil small 9mm).

Which will find its way into my gunshop sooner? Which will appeal to me enough to cause me to buy it?

Which will actually work as advertised?

Stand tuned.

Bart Noir
Old October 27, 2014, 01:37 PM   #11
Uncle Malice

Is that a serious question?

Which gun will work... when comparing Walther to Remington?
Old October 27, 2014, 02:23 PM   #12
Sevens

Quote:
Yep. I think that will be the guns downfall. Even if v2 is squared away, not many people are going to buy it. You only get one chance at a first impression and they blew it.

It may turn out to be a great gun, but I think they spoiled their reputation on this one.
I'll have to disagree. I believe what you said is spot-on, for the hardcore enthusiasts and hobbyists like almost all of us around here certainly are, but there's a whole world out there that's just simply not at all like us or even close. They aren't even fractionally as tuned-in to what's going on in the world of guns.

A big name like Remington can do well if they actually get this right... there's a large market segment of folks who haven't seen them tripping over themselves horribly in the last five years, and 5 or more years from now there will be even more of them.

But the ball certainly is in their court and everything about them in the recent past right up until right NOW says they may very well drop it again.
Old October 27, 2014, 03:03 PM   #13
shinerjohn

If they don't get V. 2 right and drop it, I'll just take a refund. If they get it right, I'll be happy. I've already spent the money, so we'll see.... I may never rely on it for self-defense, but I have more than 30 handguns that will do the job. I bought it because the concept fascinated me.

I was able to once fire 4 consecutive magazines without a malfunction. When it works, it has a very unique feel to it. Very mild recoil and almost no muzzle flip. It is very comfortable in my medium-to-small hands.

I hope they get it right this time. I have everything to gain and nothing to lose...
Old October 27, 2014, 08:03 PM   #14
cryption

It really is a shame. I wanted so badly for the R51 to not be terrible - but I won't but a v2. Remington quality has tanked ... And so does everything they touch
Old October 28, 2014, 12:15 AM   #15
10-96

Quote:
But the ball certainly is in their court and everything about them in the recent past right up until right NOW says they may very well drop it again.
Hmm? Have you come across some inside info that suggests the V.2 will also be an engineering flop? I'm not happy with just a whole lot Rem has done in the past decade- but there's a big part of me that's really hoping they will/can pull it together with this one.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old October 28, 2014, 04:28 AM   #16
Sevens

No, no, nothing like that. I just expect Remington to do what Remington HAS been doing the last handful of years: failing. Badly.

A guy on my local forum sent his nearly *NEW* Rem 700 in for the recall work... and they lost his bolt! They actually sent the rifle back without the bolt. When he called them on it, they were clueless. He sent it back a second time, four week turnaround and they literally sent him what can only be described as a used, forgotten, leftover crappy old bolt. Even had some surface rust on it.

I think they're incompetent.

I didn't buy or own the R51, but I did get a chance to handle one. It absolutely felt and functioned like a warm, corn filled cowpie.
Old October 28, 2014, 01:34 PM   #17
Bart Noir

Quote:
It absolutely felt and functioned like a warm, corn filled cowpie.
So, then, that's not an endorsement, right?

Bart Noir
Old November 1, 2014, 05:08 AM   #18
Niantician

I just read on a sad little R51 forum that owners will not recieve new pistols till 2015.
Old November 1, 2014, 08:30 AM   #19
shinerjohn

Quote:
I just read on a sad little R51 forum that owners will not recieve new pistols till 2015.
Niantician, what is your source?
Old November 1, 2014, 01:00 PM   #20
Niantician

http://r51pistol.com/general-discuss...untary-recall/
Old November 1, 2014, 03:12 PM   #21
shinerjohn

Thanks! I'll be watching that forum...
Old November 1, 2014, 09:00 PM   #22
Cheapshooter

Thanks Niantician, that's the kind of information I was looking for. Replacements in 2015, I guess new generation 2 guns to the dealers will follow. Got time to decrease my short list before I add an R51 to it again.
Old November 2, 2014, 08:09 AM   #23
Urban_Redneck

Listening to the Ruger earnings call last week, the one bright spot the ceo mentioned was the LC9 striker fired pistol. In an understated way he mentioned Ruger's rigorous pre-release testing (IIRC 60,000 rounds, I doubt through one pistol) and how it differed from an un-named competitor who had to recall 100% of their most recent design.

Having been down the recall road with Caracal, I wish others on the path the best of luck.
Old November 2, 2014, 08:48 AM   #24
seeker_two

I'll really be surprised if Remington ever sells a single R51 after this mess....
Old November 2, 2014, 08:51 AM   #25
Model12Win

^

Gotta love Ruger, for all intensive purposes they've got to be the most squared away American gun manufacturer right now.

Like others, I had HIGH HIGH HIGH (to the sky sky sky) hopes for the R51. I was just about to hunt for leather, but God I'm so glad I didn't. I just can't believe a company like Remington released what they did... the R51 wasn't supposed to be a target or hunting gun... it was meant for personal defense, a deadly serious business where one needs there gun to WORK and the garbage Remington was putting out the door... it really is disappointing that so many had in there hands some extremely poorly built guns with all the problems we've heard.

I still shudder to think there is probably a few people out there with R51s who haven't shot them much if at all and are carrying them for self defense.

Remington lost my business for sure, the way the botched the R51 release is just unforgivable. It really, really is. Now some may say "well it's a new production gun it will have problems" and that's true, but there were numerous reports of things like rear sights FALLING out of the dovetail OUT OF THE BOX, slides that were impossible (and I mean literally almost impossible) to rack without extreme force, and other things that don't speak to teething design flaws... but to an utter lack of any type of quality control or care for the consumer.

I think what they did to the consumer has been noted by many people, and they aren't pleased.

Last edited by Model12Win; November 2, 2014 at 09:03 AM.