The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old January 28, 2015, 10:06 PM   #1
skizzums

leading

why do I get leading only in the first inch of my 9mm pistol barrel? it's not severe at all, but it happens frequently. I am now using .357 sized and it's still happening to a certain degree. I am hesitant to go to .358. not a big deal, but very difficult to get out from the rifling, and I was wondering if there was a simple diagnosis to it only happening in the first inch or so of a four inch barrel. these are PC'd btw, but it as way worse using lubed lead
Old January 28, 2015, 10:40 PM   #2
reloader28

We size all but one of our 9mm's to .358 with no problems.
If you have the sizer I'd give it a go.
I also cheat and use a plain base gas check not PC.
Old January 28, 2015, 10:57 PM   #3
Nick_C_S

9's are prone to leading. Their bores tend to be large and going with a larger diameter slug was almost certainly a good approach. I can't give advice on the .358's as I have never tried them. Worth a shot, I suppose.

Since I consider 9mm a utilitarian caliber, I just kind of gave up on lead and went with jacketed/plated. I chose to not toil over it. I don't shoot 9 for sport - just for defense practice as I carry one. Utilitarian caliber.
Old January 29, 2015, 04:16 PM   #4
Dakotared

Use to get lots of leading with the 9mm. Went to PC and it became the cleanest gun I shoot. I push a 125gr Lee TC to 1150fps now.
Old January 30, 2015, 01:27 PM   #5
dahermit

I use gas checks on my 9MM and .38 Super cast bullets. I have not noticed any leading. But, that was an old fashion remedy...as the post above (when I figured out what "PC" was), powder coating is the likely more modern method.