The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 23, 2013, 08:43 AM   #1
unit 900

Pawn Shop Colt Cobra Find

The gun laws changed again in Maryland on October 01. Many more hoops to jump through just to purchase. Carry permits are as common as unicorns. I went with a friend (retired US Army - helicopter pilot in Vietnam) to buy his first handgun in late September. He could have avoided the hoops being retired military, but was anxious to buy. He settled on a Glock 17 (easy choice, it was the only semi auto available). We went to pick it up last week after the mandatory 8 day waiting period. Sitting in the case was a very nice condition Colt Cobra. The grips were clean with sharp checkering. Cylinder and barrel showed no sign of carry excepting a tiny amount of bluing loss at the tip of the barrel. No visible drag line on cylinder. The frame was deep blue/black with no dings. Screws were virgin. The recoil shield was still black, with the square area around the firing pin hole totally silver. The serial number dates it to 1955. My well worn 1967 Cobra has the same area blued/anodized. Is there any reason why the older gun might have that area silver/in the white? It also has a Mershon marked grip adaptor. I put my money down and picked it up yesterday. Pics attached.

Old October 23, 2013, 09:07 AM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

Nice!

What did you have to give for it?

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 23, 2013, 11:22 AM   #3
PetahW

I would WAG that the breech face has no bluing because it was faced off after finishing, most likely because a headspace issue was discovered during final assembly/inspection.

Old October 23, 2013, 03:05 PM   #4
dgludwig

Great looking Colt. It's my favorite snubby-ranking slightly higher than my Smith Model 12 for concealed carry purposes due to its slightly smaller size and lighter weight. I prefer a six-shot capacity in a ccw revolver. I bought my Cobra a couple of years ago @ a gunshow, in new condition with box, warranty and manual for $500.00. I paid $400.00 for the Model 12 (also @ a gunshow) in excellent condition but sans box and papers.
Old October 23, 2013, 05:39 PM   #5
unit 900

"I would WAG that the breech face has no bluing because it was faced off after finishing, most likely because a headspace issue was discovered during final assembly/inspection."

I wish I knew what this means. Google has come up empty for me. Any explanation would be appreciated. The price OTD was just under $320. I was somewhat stunned on seeing the price as used guns in Maryland are apparently playthings of the gods who demand unreasonable recompense to part with their gifts.
Old October 23, 2013, 06:01 PM   #6
dgludwig

Great price, unit 900. Let us know how it shoots. My Cobra shoots way high @ 25 yards and, other than changing bullet weights, there's not a whole lot I can do about it (at least, practically). I don't have any idea, other than what PetahW conjectured (which sounds plausible), concerning the lack of bluing on the breech face.
Old October 24, 2013, 06:04 AM   #7
Mike Irwin
Staff

That's an EXCEPTIONAL price for a Colt Cobra in that condition.

That would be a good price for a Cobra in a lot more ratty condition.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 24, 2013, 07:25 AM   #8
dssajj

Re: Pawn Shop Colt Cobra Find

Great find.
Old October 24, 2013, 08:04 AM   #9
PetahW

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetahW

"I would WAG that the breech face has no bluing because it was faced off after finishing, most likely because a headspace issue was discovered during final assembly/inspection."
I wish I knew what this means. Google has come up empty for me.
Any explanation would be appreciated.
Sometimes, during final assembly & inspection, an issue with chambering a cartridge may be found - usually caused by varying manufacturing tolerances of the parts not meshing well.

In the case of a revolver's chambering issue with a rimmed cartridge, one or more rim recess' either might not have been fully reamed, or the reamer was worn & at the end of it's service life - both resulting in a rim recess too shallow to allow the cartridge to be seated deep enough for the cylinder to close and/or turn.

The easiest/cheapest solution is to face off the breechface a few thousandths, ILO remachining the chamber recess'.

(That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it )

Old October 24, 2013, 03:07 PM   #10
unit 900

PetahW, thanks for the explanation. I like to learn something new daily and you have made that easy today, thanks.
Old October 24, 2013, 04:27 PM   #11
Deaf Smith

That is a dandy of a find.

I have the nickel Colt DS, 2nd model, sleeping in the safe. Nickel is in perfect condition so I don't shoot it! Oh, well. It's a might nice gun you picked up. And the grip adapter means the guy who owned it before was a) savvy, b) old school!

Deaf
Old October 24, 2013, 05:33 PM   #12
unit 900

Deaf Smith, I lucked into a NIB DS in blue some years ago. It's a 1971 gun with police department marking on the backstrap. Never fired, just a safe queen until I sell it. Wait a second, I buy guns, not sell them.

Old October 24, 2013, 08:38 PM   #13
bedbugbilly

Nice looking! Congrats on your find! I'd have snapped that up as well.

A few weeks ago I spotted a Smith 36 snub on a LGS web site listing. I'd been looking for one so went down and bought it - I couldn't resist as it was a 35 no dash and looked like it had never been fired - pristine. I also saw they had a Colt Detective that they were asking 350.00 for so I asked to take a look at it. The clerk went back and brought it out and I couldn't believe it - I don't think I've ever seen a pistol that had been ridden so hard and put away wet - this thing looked like it had been through three world wars and then dragged behind a car that went cross country - the grips were homemade and while walnut, a pretty shoddy job. So yes . . . I think you did well . . . very well!

I think your are really going to love that little beauty!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old October 24, 2013, 09:39 PM   #14
Deaf Smith

Quote:
Never fired, just a safe queen until I sell it. Wait a second, I buy guns, not sell them.
That I understand unit 900,

Deaf