The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 3, 2012, 12:01 AM   #1
rangerlad

1908 DWM-Oberndorf action- question

Hello!

Over the next few years I'd like to build/have built a .243 for long-range shooting. I'm just getting started on this project, and have the opportunity to buy a brazilian-contract 1908 DWM-Oberndorf action. I'd like to know what kind of reputation these actions have, and if it would potentially be a good action for the gun I described (as opposed to, say, similar Mauser actions from a different factory/contract, or some of the Mannlicher actions). The action is currently in a state of dissassembly (so I haven't got around to seeing how smooth it is) and has a few rust spots on the outside, but no pitting. Thoughts, opinions, suggestions?
Old June 3, 2012, 02:45 AM   #2
Scorch

Make sure it is a M98 pattern and not an 1893. If it is indeed a M98 pattern rifle, then it should work very well. If it is an 1893 pattern, then no.
Old June 3, 2012, 03:02 AM   #3
HiBC

You do it your way,but,if twas me,the 6mm Rem is a necked down 7x57 Mauser.Case taper,how it stacks in the mag,feeds,etc,is made for a mauser.

You can get a .243 to work in a Mauser,but it will take more effort.
Old June 5, 2012, 09:28 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

Those Model 1908 Brazilian rifles are 98 actions and among the very best.

As to 6mm Remington, I love it, but realistically there is just more support for the .243 in the way of cases, dies, loading data, etc. Either should feed fine through that action.

Jim
Old June 8, 2012, 03:21 PM   #5
Slamfire

The design of the action is not really the issue, it is the metallurgy of the period.

It is not appreciated how fast metal technology advanced from the 1890's to the 1930's, because it is beyond living memory.

Ludwig Olsen's warning about using these actions at pressures above the design limits is worth considering.

Rifle Magazine Issue 159 May 1995 Dear Editor pg 10

http://www.riflemagazine.com/magazin...159partial.pdf

Ludwig Olsen
Quote:
Mauser 98 actions produced by Mauser and DWM were proofed with two loads that produced approximately 1000 atmosphere greater pressure than normal factory rounds. That procedure was in accordance with the 1891 German proof law. Proof pressure for the Mauser 98 in 7 X57 was 4,050 atmospheres (57, 591 psi). Pressure of the normal 7 X 57 factory load with 11.2 gram bullet was given in Mauser’s 1908 patent boot as 3,050 atmosphere, or 43, 371 pounds.

While many Mausers in the 1908 Brazilian category will likely endure pressures considerably in excess of the 4,050 atmospheres proof loads, there might be some setback of the receiver locking shoulder with such high pressures.
Old June 8, 2012, 10:17 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

I am not sure what the proof load for the 7x57 has to do with the strength of the 98 Mauser action. The proof load pressure is always set at that of the standard load of the cartridge for which the rifle is chambered plus some factor above that. Whether the rifle can or will stand up to a greater pressure was not relevant.

If a 98 Mauser was chambered for, say, the old 8.15x46R (equivalent to the .32-40), it would be proved with the proof load for that round; that it would without doubt be perfectly safe for a round of much greater pressure was beside the point.

It seems quite unlikely that any manufacturer would make rifle actions to just barely withstand the proof pressure of the round to be chambered. In fact, except in military contracts, those producing receivers would usually have no way of knowing which of several military or commercial cartridges would ultimately be fired in that receiver.

Jim