The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old February 15, 2000, 12:19 PM   #1
Rome

I originally posted this question on the general forum but after looking around this website a little further found this forum which would be more appropriate.
I found two small 6 shot revolvers in an old home I purchased. They might be 32 cal but may be smaller. They aren't .22, however. They were with a pile of stuff I was going through. They are identical except one has a "hunting" horn on the grip, the other has an emblem with "US" in it at the top of the grip. They were made in Norwich, CT according to the wording on the barrels. They might have belonged to a night watchman who lived here 50 years ago. One is chrome, the other is in fair condition, the other's barrel has been trimmed about 1/2", has no finish left and is in poor condition. I'll never fire them because of their condition but I don't know what to do with them. If they aren't collectible, I guess I just bury them in the backyard someplace to rust away. Any info will be apprecatied.
Old December 19, 2004, 06:20 AM   #2
Jerry White

Thayer Robertson and Cary

I have a Thayer Robertson and it is a 38 S&W caliber. I was told mine was made in 1902 but who knows. I was also told it was made by the trade name of Harington and Richardsom for a unknown wholesaler. The other on that says U.S. on the grips is the US Revolver Company which the trade name company was Iver Johnson Arms and Cycle Works that made inexpensive pocket revolvers.
Old December 12, 2008, 10:27 AM   #3
Tomrob

Rome, If you are still in possesion of the two pistols you found I would like to possibly recover them from you. I am a great grandson on the Robertson side of the firearms company. I look for these pistols at gunshows and stumbled across your post. Please contact me if you are still available. [email protected]
Old December 12, 2008, 04:43 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

AFAIK, those guns were made by Hopkins and Allen (not H&R), and Thayer, Robertson & Cary was a hardware store chain.

Jim
Old December 13, 2008, 01:59 PM   #5
RCN Group

Thames Arms Company/Thayer, Robertson & Carey History

[B]An Abbreviated History of the Thames Arms Company/Thayer, Robertson & Carey

In 1895 James D. Robertson, my Great Grandfather, founded a chain manufacturing and metal stamping plant in Norwich, CT known as The Thames Chain and Stamping Co. In 1901, after applying for two patents on mechanisms related to the revolvers he would later manufacture, he changed the name of the company to The Thames Arms Co. He began production of the revolvers in 1905 and ceased in 1910. Either during that time, or earlier, similar revolvers were being made and stamped with the name Thayer, Robertson & Carey. Thayer was mayor of Norwich at the time. Robertson was my great grandfather. It remains unclear who Carey was.

Our family is pleased to be in possession of a number of these revolvers in varying calibers, hammer configurations, finishes and stampings. Our most prized item in this collection is an unfired, chrome .32 caliber, 5 shot, breakover revolver in perfect condition with box and papers.

We seek these pistols with either manufacturer name on them for addition to our collection. Please reach us if you have these available in any condition.
Old December 13, 2008, 03:27 PM   #6
johnbt

http://books.google.com/books?id=s4I...sult#PPA256,M1

There is mention of the company on the linked page - 256. The author went to work with his brother his first year out of Yale, although the name is Cary and not Carey. Who knows, but there could be a connection. They don't sound like they were hourly workers, what with the boat club and such.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thames gun company snip.JPG (36.3 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg thames gun company snip2.JPG (38.3 KB, 118 views)
Old December 17, 2008, 07:13 PM   #7
TEDDY

thames

I had one in the late thirties.I think in 32.I know I used to shoot it.I think I paid $1.00 for it and if my memory works I think a box of shells was $.35 or.40
that was an hrs work.