The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 2, 2001, 02:49 PM   #1
keano44

Removing stuck bullet from Glock barrel

A friend of mine was teaching his girlfriend to shoot his Glock .40 S&W. They were at a public firing range. She was shooting some handloaded ammo when this happened. The shot "sounded funny". The gun cycled another round but she, luckily, didn't pull the trigger again. Sensing something wasn't right she looked back at my friend, who told her to wait. He checked the gun and found that a bullet had lodged in the barrel. Possibly an uncharged round?
My question to you guys is this; what is the best or proper way to remove this stuck bullet from the barrel of his Glock handgun? Sorry I don't know the model number, but I know it is a .40 S&W with a factory ported barrel. Thanks for the advice.
Old August 2, 2001, 04:27 PM   #2
C.R.Sam

Don't know if any special procedure required for Glock. On other guns, usin a brass drift and gently tapping the slug out seems to work without damage.

Your Friend's girlfriend deserves a gold star for doin it right. That was a prime setup for torchin one off with an obstructed barrel. Her teacher is good and he has a GOOD student.

Sam
Old August 2, 2001, 05:58 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

A hardwood dowel about six or eight inches long is a Good Thing. I also use a 6" 1/4-drive extension, putting the female end down onto the bullet.

FWIW, Art
Old August 3, 2001, 07:25 AM   #4
Pampers

Shoot it out!

It's a Glock! It's going to blow up sooner or later any way! Might as well get it over with!

Really, tap it out as above. Brass rod is best. 1/4 extention is what I use. Dowell splinters.

Yr. Obt. Svnt.
NRA Golden Eagle
Old August 6, 2001, 06:30 AM   #5
Bowser

Was the round in question made by Load-X.

The very same thing happened to me in my .40 cal Glock. Funny sound, lack of recoil. Found a torn casing from the neck of the case back - as if a 2mm by 2mm section had been folded back on itself, and a bullet halfway down my barrel. Barrel was ROASTING hot too.

Bowser.
Old August 6, 2001, 12:53 PM   #6
keano44

Bowser,
He does all his reloading on a Lee Turret press with auto indexing.

BTW- Can someone explain to me the cautions against reloading for Glocks? The literature which comes with the gun strongly reccommends against using reloaded ammo in Glocks; something about the case not being fully enclosed by the chamber?
I have seen brass fired in this gun (factory ammo) with distinct markings or slight bulges in the shape of the part of the case which is not fully surrounded by the chamber. When my friend first bought this pistol (his first handgun), his intention was to get into handgunning and reloading at the same time. Imagine his dissapointment when he read the handbook which came with the gun, warning against reloading for any Glock. He and I both then spoke to many Glock owners who did handload, and the consensus from them was to disregard the warning, that it was put in the manual for liability purposes What do you think?
I've seen mountains, and I've seen desserts.
I've seen the world, and thought I'd seen it all. But of all the scenes I've ever seen, I ain't never seen no scene, like the scene I'm seein now!........keano44
Old August 6, 2001, 02:56 PM   #7
ATTICUS

Keano44: Glock, and all other gun makers, are concerned about 1) The integrity of brass that has been used multiple times and 2) +p handloads that exceed recomended specs. Brass failure is the prime concern in a Glock. It sounds like your friend let a squib load slip by (it happens). The primer drove the bullet into the barrel but there wasn't any powder (or very little) in the case.
He's lucky to have such a observant girlfriend. That could have been very ugly.
Old August 6, 2001, 03:20 PM   #8
Pampers

.40 Auto

is on the ragged edge of pressure. I shoot both IDPA and USPSA, and have seen many .40 cases fired in Glocks that have the distinctive crescent shaped bulge in the web area. This is a result of either an unsupported chamber (which the Glock has) or from firing out of battery (Which Glock is accused of, but which I have no personal experience with.)
NRA Golden Eagle
Old August 7, 2001, 07:26 AM   #9
Wild Romanian

Boy you guys sure like to do things the hard way. Whenever I go to the range I always carry some spare empy primed cases. If a bullet becomes lodged in the barrel I simply put in an empty primed case and shoot the bullet out (no gunpowder in case). It takes two cases for the 9mm and only one primed case for the .45acp. The reason is the .45 uses the more powerful large pistol primer.

Be damn sure the empty primed cases were sized first before you go sticking them in your gun. An unsized case may stick in the chamber and not extract. W.R.
Old August 9, 2001, 09:10 AM   #10
Doug 29

Keano:

If your friend will buy a Bar-Sto barrel for his Glock, he can shoot reloads to his hearts content! A little pricey, MAYBE, but they are worth every penny.
Old August 9, 2001, 10:24 AM   #11
4V50 Gary
Staff

If you're going to knock it out, measure the outside diameter of the barrel and drill a piece of wood to slip it in. The block is then mounted in the vise and no direct clamping pressure is on the barrel. Squirt a little oil down the barrel, insert dowel/brass rod from chamber end and whack away.