The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 10, 2013, 09:01 AM   #1
'88Scrat

.357 Ideas

So I just graduated college and as a graduation gift I was given some money and told to "Get yourself something nice."

I've always wanted a stainless of nickel plated revolver so I thought it would be cool to get something like a S&W 686 or Taurus Model 65. But I don't want to stop there, I want to commemorate it somehow.

I was thinking of finding out what it would cost to get engraving on the barrel; something like:

"Veni, Vidi, Vici. KU Class of 2012" or maybe adding the years I was there instead of the graduation year.

For those that don't know; Veni, Vidi, Vici is Latin for "I came, I saw, I conquered."

Thoughts? Is this even possible to engrave?
Old January 10, 2013, 09:49 AM   #2
Budda

Yes. It can be done...and I would recommend a Colt da like a Nickle mk III trooper in. 357

About the same price as a 686 but cooler because they are no longer made. $550-800

Old January 10, 2013, 09:59 AM   #3
MrBorland

Rather than engraving the actual gun, how 'bout a removable underlug for a 686? The makers of the SCORE underlug will custom engrave. PPC-style underlugs seem to scream "Veni, Vidi, Vici".

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=447214
Old January 11, 2013, 12:36 AM   #4
'88Scrat

Wow...

Gotta say those are some nice looking 686s but its not something thats gonna cost more than the gun is it? By that I mean the underlug and the engraving.
Old January 11, 2013, 09:51 AM   #5
Motownstan

I don't think I would buy a Taurus to mark one of life's milestones.
Old January 11, 2013, 10:18 AM   #6
l98ster

Quote:
I don't think I would buy a Taurus to mark one of life's milestones
Thats Awesome!!!

Actually, that engraving would kill resale value if you ever needed/wanted to sell it. If you get a Taurus, my guess is that you will be wanting to get rid of it .

Maybe you should look at having custom grips made for an L frame smith. There is more room to customize, and there are many choices of guns that it will fit on.

-George
Old January 11, 2013, 11:11 AM   #7
Cousin Pat

custom stuff

If it is going to be something special to be kept forever, I would think very hard about buying either a Colt or a Smith & Wesson. These famous names are most likely to hold value. If you buy "used, minor wear" or "like new" you are very likely to see some appreciation in value over time. As to customization, I like the idea mentioned above of buying custom grips rather than engraving the gun and killing its resale value: You could put the Latin on one side and your initials on the other. Google Nutmeg Sports LLC to see some examples.
Old January 11, 2013, 12:08 PM   #8
efield

I REALLY like the idea of custom grips as well. In fact, I need to get my grandson a graduation gift and I think custom grips on a classic Colt is a great idea. Thanks.
Old January 11, 2013, 10:13 PM   #9
GP100man

Old January 12, 2013, 04:02 AM   #10
bigghoss

Whatever you get, make sure it says "Colt", "Smith & Wesson", or "Sturm, Ruger & Co." on it.
Old January 12, 2013, 07:38 AM   #11
Motownstan

Quote:
Whatever you get, make sure it says "Colt", "Smith & Wesson", or "Sturm, Ruger & Co." on it.
Yeah BigHoss, in that order.
Old January 12, 2013, 09:09 AM   #12
bds32

Be sure to think about what uses you have for the revolver before you purchase. Do you want to carry concealed at some point, shoot it a lot at the range, or is this just for the house? I kind of lean towards other's suggestion of engraved grips. This accomplishes the commemoration you seek, is a lot less expensive, and will not hurt resale if you ever look to sell it.

For best all around service, I would choose an S&W K,L,or N frame or a Ruger GP-100. The barrel length would be dependent on what you want to do with.
Old January 12, 2013, 09:17 AM   #13
Gdawgs

Good advice here.

Ruger Vaqueros would be sweet to customize as well (at least in my opinion). If you don't mind single action only.

http://www.ruger.com/products/vaqueroBisley/models.html
Old January 12, 2013, 11:47 AM   #14
Deja vu

If you are not going to sell it then dont worry about the resale value. I have many guns and I have only ever sold one and that wast too my son, I would have given it for free but he is trying to be a responsible adult.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old January 12, 2013, 02:24 PM   #15
Redhawk5.5+P+

So I just graduated college and as a graduation gift I was given some money and told

I would get a vet, that's right a Chey Chevette.

First, stop dilly dandling around and just buy the gun (for me 3, 4 or 5").

Second, put it like you wrote/typed of "KU Class of 2012" or (to me is better, "freak FU") "Class of 2012"!

TBS, everybody already knew about the story (KU) that you already bored them to death on how great you are (LOL), so that leaves them into suspense about the 686 and the class of 2012 (No KU. LOL).

Just do it right now, good luck finding one in the here and now! LOL!
Old January 12, 2013, 09:31 PM   #16
'88Scrat

Thanks for the input guys. Just put down a deposit on a Stainless 686 6" barrel. Might take a while to get here though. Once I have the gun I'll see which option I like best.