The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 16, 2012, 03:02 PM   #1
Shotgun693

RCBS Service

I have, over the years, lost a couple of the little nuts that hold the stem, like a decapping stem, inside the die. I contacted RCBS about buying replacements. They're sending me some for free. Thank You RCBS, good service.
Old September 16, 2012, 03:35 PM   #2
Gerry

Can you imagine having a cell phone service provider giving you the same level of service as a reloading equipment company? It would revolutionize the industry and perhaps warp reality as we know it.
Old September 16, 2012, 03:45 PM   #3
ragwd

I called RCBS about buying a decapping pin. They sent me 3 for free, they even paid shipping. I wish everyone was as customer oriented. +1
Old September 16, 2012, 07:14 PM   #4
GeauxTide

Yep, their service is exemplary.
Old September 16, 2012, 07:44 PM   #5
hooligan1

I agree+1000
Old September 16, 2012, 07:56 PM   #6
jwrowland77

There's a lot of companies that could learn about customer service from the reloading industry. From what I've read since I started, you can pretty much get the same great cs from any of the reloading companies. I recently called Hornady on something much like this and the same response that the OP received with RCBS. I say all these reloading companies should teach customer service seminars. Companies would have higher profits because they'd have higher customer retention.
Old September 16, 2012, 07:56 PM   #7
lee n. field

Quote:
I contacted RCBS about buying replacements. They're sending me some for free. Thank You RCBS, good service.
Why am I not surprised?

That's been my experience with RCBS, as well.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old September 16, 2012, 08:34 PM   #8
Sport45

I've enjoyed the same great experience with the RCBS service.

But personally, I wish they'd quit. I'd rather pay 20 or 30 percent less up front (just a guess) and then pay for any parts I loose or break later.

Of course that wouldn't help me now since I've probably already purchased 90% of the reloading tools I'll ever have. So I guess really I wish they had quit that policy 30 or so years ago.

If a company can send free parts to customers it means they built enough profit margin into the purchase price to pay for them. Companies do have to make a profit to stay in business after all.
Old September 17, 2012, 07:29 AM   #9
BPowderkeg

when it comes to the reloading industry.., there are none better than RCBS and Dillon, i have been with RCBS for over 40 years and have received more "free stuff" from them than what i paid for (quantity wise)

I use a Dillon XL 650 and reload exclusively 5.56mm ammo i have broken some parts negligently, by accident and some parts just wore out, they have replaced every part i needed to keep going at NO COST to me.

too bad automobile mfgrs. don't follow such great customer service !
Old September 17, 2012, 07:40 AM   #10
TheTinMan

RCBS has my 5-0-5 scale right now. It worked fine for about 3 years but started having random shifts of 2-4 tenths of a grain every once in a while. I think I knicked the pivot knives somehow. Called RCBS and told them exactly that. "Send it back and we'll repair or replace it.". Wow!

On the same call with an RCBS tech, I mentioned that I had an RCBS ChargeMaster and had heard about a way to re-program it to fine-tune the powder drop process. I had an email with detailed instructions within 5 minutes. Worked great too.

Hornady has been just as good in my experience BTW.

Last edited by TheTinMan; September 17, 2012 at 11:48 AM.
Old September 17, 2012, 11:15 AM   #11
stu925

I've been down this road with RCBS too, the last time was when a buddy gave me his old swaging die for crimped primer pockets. Unfortunately his was missing a couple of parts. I called RCBS and explained the situation and told them I was looking to buy replacement parts. The woman on the phone asked for my address and said we'll get those right out to you. I asked if she wanted my CC # and she told me no. That's going above and beyond the call of duty in my book especially since I wasn't the original owner of the swaging die. I'm an RCBS customer for life, can't say enough good things about their customer service.

Stu
Old September 25, 2012, 09:42 PM   #12
TheTinMan

Follow Up

Got my scale back in about 2 weeks from RCBS with a note. They replaced the base and the beam, then calibrated it. Basically I got a new scale. Yay!
Old September 26, 2012, 05:10 PM   #13
jepp2

I am also in the camp of RCBS customer service is very generous.

From a business standpoint, I am guessing that if you ran the real numbers, RCBS gains more in business from the fact being known about their excellent customer service, than the minor cost of shipping some low cost parts at no cost to the customer.

I really don't believe the cost to purchase new RCBS reloading equipment is impacted at all by their customer focused actions. The profit from the incremental sales benefit will pay for many token parts given away.
Old September 28, 2012, 06:20 AM   #14
David Bachelder

+ for RCBS Service. They are outstanding. They have addressed every concern I have ever had and they have never charged me for a replacement part.

Amazing.
Old September 28, 2012, 06:14 PM   #15
langenc

I have rec pins etc several times.

Once I called about shells not chambering well after FL sizing in my old 03. I asked the lady that answered for the expert on reloading problems.

She said 'what is the problem' and I thought yuk. I explained to her and she said 'are you lubbing the inside of the case mouth'? I said maybe or lightly. She suggested more lube cause the expander was hard withdrawing and she thought the neck was being stretched when the ball came out.

I tried it and no more problems. I wish Id asked her what calibers she reloads cause she has more reloading experience than just answering the phone.