The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 3, 2009, 08:48 PM   #1
doehunter

mossberg 835 ejection trouble

Hello,
First time here. I have a Mossberg 835 12ga. 3 1/2" chamber.
I got it 2nd hand, but hardly used. This year I took it duck hunting once and found that it only ejects the shells about half the time. I was using Black Cloud 3" mags.
I think next time I will try some different shells.
Has anyone had this same issue?
Thanks,
Jim
Old November 3, 2009, 09:25 PM   #2
the rifleer

Well it may or may not be obvious to you, but a good cleaning helps any fire arm.

I have a friend who brought out a nice browning semi-auto, but it failed to cycle just about every shot. I pulled the bolt open and it was didn't have any lubrication and had a ton of powder build up... go figure.
Old November 4, 2009, 09:19 PM   #3
doehunter

I just realized, I may have described my problem wrong.
When not shooting, it cycles the shells just fine.
When shooting, it has trouble extracting the shells from the chamber. We have to take the gun apart and tap the shell out with a knife blade.
I was wondering if it might grab other shells better maybe?
The gun could use cleaning but it's not bad.
I have a mossberg 500 that I have used and abused for 30 years and it always works.
Jim
Old November 4, 2009, 09:44 PM   #4
the rifleer

Quote:
The gun could use cleaning but it's not bad.
I have a mossberg 500 that I have used and abused for 30 years and it always works.

its not a pump... Pumps and bolt actions can literally be shot for years with out cleaning and have no problem, but semi-autos in general should be cleaned every time you shoot them. There are semi-autos like the ak-47 or sks that can take lots of abuse, but others are very sensitive. I'm not familiar with your particular gun, but i would totally strip and clean it really well.

clean it until you'd eat off of it, then lube it and shoot it. I'm willing to bet it will work fine if you do that.

if it still doesn't, try some heavier loads/ different ammo.

Every moving part in the world works a lot better when its lubricated.
Old November 5, 2009, 07:49 AM   #5
Doyle

Quote:
its not a pump...
Yes, the 835 is a pump. If it cycles fine with unfired ammo, then you appear to have a problem with the empty cases swelling just enought to stick. I'd also vote for a serious cleaning and maybe a chamber polishing.
Old November 5, 2009, 09:15 PM   #6
the rifleer

i guess i was thinking of the 930... you should still clean it though.
Old November 5, 2009, 10:07 PM   #7
doehunter

Yea the 835 is a pump.
I will definitely clean and pay real close attention to the chamber in particular. I think I saw a post where they put a cleaning brush in a drill. I'll probably try that too.
I just surprises me that on the first hunt of the year it did that. I don't think there's been more than a few boxes shot through it. And like I said, the 500 I have has not been taken care of very well, is very old, and works every time.
So what about the hulls swelling. Is that common with the Black Cloud 3" mags?
I also hunt with a savage model 311 side by side. There are no ejectors on that gun. When I pull the shells out, they don't feel tight.
Well we'll see if cleaning helps.
Thanks for the input. I'll let you know.
Jim
Old November 6, 2009, 10:00 PM   #8
doehunter

interesting detail I learned today.
I tested one of the spent Black Cloud shells in my 835 chamber. It fit pretty tight, and the gun would not extract it.
Then I put the same shell in my 500, and it was tight there too. The 500 wouldn't extract it either!
Hmmmmm,
I think the shell is swollen up. I'm buying shells tomorrow to go duck hunting.
Maybe I'll go back to the Winchester loads I used to buy, or something else.
The Black Clouds seem to be popular with duck hunters.
Is there anybody else using these in a Mossberg pump gun?
Jim
Old November 6, 2009, 10:04 PM   #9
rantingredneck

doehunter,

My family and folks who hunt with us have 5 Mossberg 835's amongst us. They all ran fine when new up until well worn. Then 4 out of the 5 (all but mine) have started having occasional failures to extract. We've polished chambers (which shouldn't be an issue on an older well-worn gun) to no avail. No real predicting when it will or won't happen either. Doesn't appear to be ammo dependent in any of the affected guns. I shoot the same mix of ammo in mine and it's never choked on anything. The other 4 have to varying degrees though.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old November 7, 2009, 12:48 AM   #10
javven

Take it trap shooting and see what a few hundred rounds does
Old December 25, 2010, 09:21 PM   #11
Microracer087

I also have a moss 835 and so does my father. We've had the guns for about five years now and have never had problems with shells 3 or 3 1/2" until we tried black clouds this season. My guns are cleaned regularly throughout the season. I gave the rest of my the black clouds to my buddy with a semi benelli and he had no problems with them. I believe the black clouds just dont suit the gun well. I've shot kent fast steel, heavy metal, rem hyper sonic, winchester and some other brands with no problems so I feel your pain brother.