The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 22, 2009, 10:21 PM   #1
rdjordan

Bulge near base of the case after firing

I am new to reloading, and I have loaded some .270s and went to shoot them today. They shot fine but i started noticing the cases had a slight bulge near the base of the case. I checked other factory cases that I have been shooting and there is no bulge on them. (I was thinking maybe it was a chamber problem)

The loads shouldn't be even near max loads. Using Winchester brass, CCI 200 primers, Nosler 130gr Accubond, and Hodgdon Hybrid 100V.

Anybody got any ideas on what my problem could be??

Also, will those cases that have the bulge be salvagable?

Thanks, Durham
Old January 22, 2009, 11:02 PM   #2
Shoney

rdjordanWELCOMR to TFL!!!

What was the charge weight?

Were the start loads you worked up from observed to have this bulge?
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old January 22, 2009, 11:06 PM   #3
rdjordan

I started with 52grs and I also shot some 53grs before I ran out of time. It looks like the 53gr loads were no worse than the 52gr loads. I have already loaded some 54 and 55gr loads and I can shoot them to see if the bulge gets worse.
Old January 22, 2009, 11:17 PM   #4
Shoney

IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM, IT IS UNWISE TO FIRE HEAVIER LOADS UNTIL YOU FIND OUT WHAT THE PROBLEM IS AT THE LOWER LOADS.

Could you please list all the particulars andcan you include a picture?

Rifle, age, barrel length -

COL =
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old January 22, 2009, 11:22 PM   #5
PCJim

Pictures are worth a thousand words

It would seem you started at the recommended starting charge, based on the 130gr loads Hodgdon has published. However, until you can determine whether the bulge is indicative of a imminent problem, don't go testing higher charges.

If you can post some pictures, it would be helpful. Also helpful is knowing whether the brass you were reloading was originally shot by you, the number of times previously reloaded, whether range pickup brass, caliper readings on the bulge, whether the cases were trimmed prior to reloading, etc.

Could this "bulge" be simply where a FL die stopped when resizing your brass, which could explain why the factory brass has no similar marking?

Trying to help....
Old January 23, 2009, 01:21 AM   #6
LHB1

Durham,
Did these problems with your reloads occur in "range/pick-up/misc" brass originally fired in other guns or factory brass once fired in your gun only? Strongly suggest you use ONLY brass originally fired in your gun for load development. Several times in my loading career I ran into problems with range/pick-up brass. Save that for use only after you have a known safe load. Then if problems occur, you can be pretty sure the problems are from the misc brass.
Old January 23, 2009, 06:53 AM   #7
cgaengineer

"I started with 52grs and I also shot some 53grs before I ran out of time. It looks like the 53gr loads were no worse than the 52gr loads. I have already loaded some 54 and 55gr loads and I can shoot them to see if the bulge gets worse."

Are you trying to blow something up?
Old January 23, 2009, 07:14 AM   #8
hardhit

Do you have any problem closing the bolt on a loaded round or have trouble extracting a fired cartridge?
If not It maybe just normal expansion of the cartridge, and it may look like a bulge to you.
If it is bulging out of one side of the cartridge then you have a problem.
Old January 23, 2009, 07:14 AM   #9
Whisper 300

Durham,

A few things to check first.

Did you have "heavy" bolt lift? That is, was the bolt handle more difficult to raise to eject the fired case?

Was the primer backed out just a bit?

If yes to either STOP NOW!

Next, take a thin wire and bend a very small hook at the base of the wire and extend the hooked wire down into the fired case and gently pull it back against the case wall from the base of the case up towards the neck.
Is it a smooth draw? Good.
If you feel a click or catch MUCHO BAD! That my friend is the beginning of case head separation Called "incipient head failure" This could result in anything from needing to have a 'smith retrieve your broken case to you wearing the bolt in your face.
Don't fire any of these reloads IF you have this problem starting.

Now that I have your attention, I think that what you are seeing is what was previously described and that is your sizing die may not be fully re-sizing the case or you may need to add a touch more lube to the body of the case or swap out lube-try Imperial Sizing Die Lubricant.

In any case, find out what is happening before you proceed.

Just my 2 cents but it has come from nearly 50 years of reloading and shooting and many , many errors that I have lived through and learned from.

Regards,

Gary
Old January 23, 2009, 08:05 AM   #10
rdjordan

My grandfather had the gun custom build (or put together). The action has a name on it but i dont have the gun with me now nor do I have the loads with me to check the overall length but they should be what the Speer manual was using. The factory brass was shot from my gun and the brass that I have loaded was Winchester brass that came in a bag of 50 (that brass looked good before shooting). I dont have access to a camera right now to take pictures of the case but I will this afternoon. I will get particulars for yall this afternoon so you can help me more.

Thanks Guys
Old January 23, 2009, 11:40 AM   #11
mkl

Take a micrometer and measure the bulged cases at the bulge and then measure in the same place the factory ones that you shot without a bulge.

Let us know the difference.
Old January 23, 2009, 03:22 PM   #12
F. Guffey

rdjordan, there is bulge as in slight and causes the case to have varying diameter, then there is a bulge like a hernia, case protrusion is the area between the bolt face and beginning of the chamber, I do not shoot a rifle with more than .110 + or - a few, knowing the web thickness is .200 for military cases and .270 for commercial brass I consider commercial brass safer than military, if case protrusion is a consideration.
The case head diameter increases every time the case is fired, most do not have a micrometer that that will measure .0002, the increase in diameter is not a problem for most reloaders, those that shoot maximum loads and expect 5 loadings fire the cases until the primer pocket stretches to the point the primer falls out.
If the case has a half circle dent around the case about .200 thousands above the case head you have a claw extractor, the spring of the extractor pushes the case to the left.
Chambers that are worn/expanded and larger in diameter can give the case the appearance of having two diameters, one the case head, the other the body of the case.
.200 thousands of the case head is not sized, the deck height of the shell holder is .125, then there is the radius at the case opening.

Bulges? the case conforms to the shape of the chamber, the stretch of the chamber is one way, the metal does not have recovery or memory, unless someone is using a tester that measures pressure from the inside out, even then the metal does not always come back, I have a blind end/ball micrometer that I use to measuring chambers, the fact you continued to shoot would indicate to me the bulge is not what I consider a hernia, when measuring for a 'hernia' I use an inside (two legged) caliber, I found one barrel that had a bulge in the chamber, it was .011.

F, GUffey
Old January 23, 2009, 04:15 PM   #13
rdjordan

ok guys, I have rounded up some more info. Still no pics yet.

Like I said before the gun is custom and it says Interarms Mark X on the side of the action (I was reading other forums and I think it may be a Mauser knock off), its barrel is 24 inches, and not sure of the twist.

I shot 10 rounds, of those 10 rounds it looks like the bulge is only on one side of it but for the rest, I got .473 inches (+/- .002 for a few). Also, the cases that I shot 52grs and the ones I shot 53grs measured basically the same. I dont have the factory case that I have fired with me so I havn't measured it, but the same reloaded brass, new and not fired, as the ones I shot measured .464. My case overall length is 3.340 which I think is what is used in the Speer manual.

Also, I ran a paper click inside the case near the bulge and I couldn't feel it catch on anything but the paper clip could have had some give in it and I just did not feel a dimple.

The loads chambered in and out easily. I did not notice any heavy handle problems.
Old January 23, 2009, 04:37 PM   #14
Shoney

Every thing you have listed is certainly within spec.

You listed the COL/AOL , however, what is the case length?
Old January 23, 2009, 04:39 PM   #15
mkl

I'm not 100% sure I understand your answer, but what I was thinking in my original post was that you are seeing a resizing pressure ring as opposed to a real bulge. That's why I asked you to measure them.

If there is no difference in dimensions of a fired case without the bulge and a fired case with the bulge, there is no bulge, just a bright spot on the case. If you could not feel any difference with your paper clip test, I would doubt that incipent case separation is an issue.

Unfired and Full Length resized cases will always have a slightly smaller dimension in the case body and the neck. The head dimension should be the same as unfired factory loads.

I don't think you have a problem, but again, I may not have understood your reply regarding measurements correctly.

Last edited by mkl; January 23, 2009 at 04:47 PM. Reason: spelling
Old January 23, 2009, 05:08 PM   #16
PCJim

It makes no sense to me that he would have a chamber problem if the "bulge" is only on his reloaded, fired cases and not on the factory, once fired cases.

Still, would like to see pictures, preferably side by side, of 1) one of your unfired reloaded cases, 2) a fired case from your reloads showing bulge, and 3) a once fired factory case that has no bulge.
Old January 23, 2009, 05:23 PM   #17
rdjordan

Shoney, the trim to length on the .270 is 2.530 and max case length is 2.540. These cases were real close to 2.53 before shooting and after they were about the same.

mkl, all the reloaded rounds I have shot have a bulge (some worse than others). Although on 1 or 2 cases, the bulge is only on one side. Those cases after firing measured nearly .010 more than those before firing. Although, I do have a factory load that I shot prior to shooting the reloads that does not have a bulge.
I hope that clarifies my previous post.

Im going to get some pics up tonight hopefully.
Old January 23, 2009, 05:52 PM   #18
mkl

Okay, think I understand.

What you need is a measurement of the factory case (after shooting) compared with a reloaded case (after shooting) with the bulge. Is there any difference?

Your .010" expansion is the result of the resized case expanding to the ID of your chamber. The factory case after shooting will also expand to the ID of your chamber. There should be no difference.

If both the "bulge" case after shooting and the factory case after shooting have the same dimensions at the same points, what you are seeing is a resizing pressure ring, and not a bulge in the case/chamber.

Neck sizing dies are designed to leave the case wall after shooting the size of your chamber and resize only the neck so as not to over work the brass by going in/out the .010" you mention. They work well as long as all of the cartridges are shot in th same gun.

Hope the above is clear; if not let me know.
Old January 23, 2009, 06:28 PM   #19
PCJim

We're getting closer, everyone hang in there...
Old January 23, 2009, 10:01 PM   #20
over-par

pictures are worth a thousand words. can you post some pictures of the cases?
Old January 24, 2009, 11:51 AM   #21
rdjordan

I don't know if it makes a difference or not but the factory loads were Remington and the handload brass I have is Winchester. I measured the factory brass against the handload brass and the handload (after firing) was still .007 more.

I finally got some pics!
but if somebody will tell me how to upload them it would help. I have them saved to my hard disk but what now?
Old January 24, 2009, 12:09 PM   #22
PCJim

I've only uploaded a picture once, but think this will work for you. Open a reply box, type any comments, then click on the paper clip icon just above the message box. It will open a pop-up window that will allow you to browse to the picture, double click the picture's filename, and select upload. I think that should do it. To be sure, "preview" your message. If ok, then submit it.
Old January 24, 2009, 12:51 PM   #23
rdjordan

ok guys, this pic is the handload before firing.

This one is the factory load after firing.

This one is the handload after firing with the bulge.

Do the pics help?
Any ideas?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0152.jpg (68.3 KB, 3421 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0153.jpg (79.6 KB, 3424 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0146.JPG (80.2 KB, 3458 views)

Last edited by Al Norris; January 24, 2009 at 02:05 PM. Reason: recoded for inline viewing
Old January 24, 2009, 02:05 PM   #24
Mtn Biker

That looks more like it buckled than buldged. It is kinked inward on the right and outward on the left?

VL
Old January 24, 2009, 02:16 PM   #25
F. Guffey

RdJordan, if the cases were not measured before sizing and before firing, there is not much information to be gained for a comparison and, if there is a bulge, marking the head of the case for index purposes you could chamber the case with the bulge at 90, 180 and 270 degree position by rotating, the bulge should require effort to chamber and should only chamber, without resistance, in the original position.
As a rule Winchester brass is lighter than Remington, this could mean Winchester is thinner, there are claims military brass is thicker, it is thicker in the body but not at the web, military 30/06 cases are thinner through the web by as much as .070 thousands, this means if the military brass in heavier, it means the body of the case is thicker.

I filed the above in a draft thinking I would not post.

The Mark X is a claw extractor, control feed type Mauser.

I purchase once fired cases at a range, most will cull cases fired in a controlled feed rifle, especially the ones that have a gorilla grip on the extractor groove, (those are the ones with little room between the back of the extractor and and the receiver) the spring of the extractor pushes the case to the left side of the chamber, if not fired, no dent or half moon circle but when fired the can develop the dent. Who knows the cause with all of that movement and pressure, I expect it, it does not bother me, just an opinion but the face of the extractor (beveled) could be acting on the bevel of the extractor groove, this could force the case to the left. If it bothered me and I wanted to know, I would remove the extractor and shoot a few rounds, I could then use dowel to push the case out, if the dent is not present, the extractor would be a contributing factor.

F. Guffey