The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 19, 2007, 07:52 PM   #26
Toolman

I just want to clairify something. You can call me an A$$wipe, but, all I said was that I reloaded some rounds for a COUPLE OF PEOPLE THAT I TRUST. So have some of you. That said, I still made them sign my "disclaimer" or they didn't get the rounds.
I NEVER said the disclaimer would protect ANYBODY.
I never meant to imply that it would protect anybody either.
Thinking about it, by making the people "I trust" sign my disclaimer proves that I REALLY didn't trust them, doesn't it? You are right, you can't trust anybody, even your kids.
The post said "Thanks for any Comments, Tad". Well, I should have kept my comments to myself. From now on I will. Flame on.
Toolman, out.
Old March 19, 2007, 11:14 PM   #27
Tadpole Starr

Toolman, Please don't go. I even sent 3 out

I agree in having someone sign a disclaimer. It shows good intentions, even if the person could sue, it may keep him from it. I sent it to 3 friends. I think that a disclaimer is like a lock on a house. There are some that will go around it anyway.

I am sorry that the thread upset you. I'm sure that Snuffy meant no harm either.

You can comment on my thread anytime!!

Tad
Old March 19, 2007, 11:36 PM   #28
Tomas

Well, guess I'm alone on this one

I load up 7mm mag and 10mm bullets for my best friend. The elk he took this year was from a Barnes XLC batch I loaded up for him. This is what it's about, for me.

He knows the risks and I'm just not worried about it. I give the same loads to my son to shoot. I'm just not prepared to go though life trying to cover my okole from a lawsuit from my son, or best friend.

I trust them, they trust me.

This ain't that hard.

Last edited by Tomas; March 20, 2007 at 11:02 AM.
Old March 19, 2007, 11:49 PM   #29
Charshooter

You have liability issues even if you have an FFL; some that do it as a business form a corporation and then have limited liability.

As to loading for friends, I limit that to those who also reload and we might take turns loading loads for each other, but in this case we all know each other all hand load and one can say who loads what. Even then, I have to trust my friends and well, I do trust those who have been around shooting and hand loading for years.

I would never load for someone that just wanted to save money and use the hand loads away from my shooting range. I have let others work their own loads on my equipment.
Old March 20, 2007, 12:44 AM   #30
snuffy

Quote:
"THIS IS RELOADED AND/OR HAND-LOADED AMMUNITION.
IT HAS BEEN LOADED ACCORDING TO SPECIFICATIONS AS PUBLISHED BY AMMUNITION COMPONENT MANUFACTURERS IN RELOADING MANUALS AND SHOULD ONLY BE USED IN FIREARMS THAT ARE IN GOOD CONDITION WITH MARKINGS EXACTLY MATCHING AMMUNITION.

BY USING THIS AMMUNITION I AGREE & AFFIRM THAT I TAKE FULL RESPONSIBILITY FOR AND I THEREBY HOLD __________________ HARMLESS, FOR ANY AND ALL DAMAGES, INJURY OR DEATH, WHATSOEVER."

Signed: _________________________________ Date:__________________

Toolman, how in tarnation did you get from this that I called you a derogortory name? I was trying to make a point that your disclamer is worthless, nothing more. OIC, I should have put IS after the words court case! Sorry, I thought it was clear enough. Please forgive my inability to write clearly.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old March 20, 2007, 10:09 AM   #31
Edward429451

Nobody gets reloads from me anymore unless they come pull the handle themself on their own brass.

So far only two guys have taken me up on it. One guy wont show up on work the brass night, only on bullet seating night, sorry busy. The other guy is trying to buy my presses off of me and will come to do anything. This guy shows promise.

This encourages participation in the reloading area aside from just gun enthusiasim. If they're not willing to come learn/help, then they're just looking for someone to save them money under the guise of friendship, and these are they guys that would cause problems if anything happened. No disclaimer would stand up in court so don't waste your time there. If you feel the need to make them sign a disclaimer, then they shouldn't even be there.
Old March 20, 2007, 10:10 AM   #32
Tadpole Starr

Thanks Snuffy

Years ago, I made a beautiful rocking Dinosaur for my Grandson. A toy store wanted me to make more and sell them. I asked about liability, if a kid rocked over his or another child's foot and got hurt. Yep, I'm liable. No way, Jose!!

Same with this case! Too bad!
Old March 20, 2007, 10:32 AM   #33
azredhawk44

I only let people shoot my handloads if they are low pressure rounds. This confines my ammo-starved friends to shooting 9mm, 45acp and 38 specials from my load stock.

I won't let my friends shoot my 357magnum, 44magnum, 30-30 or .308 loads out of their guns. And I don't sell them... It's more of a "let's go out to the desert and burn up some ammo" kind of thing.
Old March 20, 2007, 07:59 PM   #34
hodaka

I think we have hit the motherlode of paranoia. I'm with Tomas in that I have reloaded for a few friends, and I will do so in the future. Sure there is liability. There is also liability when I drive my daughter's friends to basketball games. Life is full of liabilities but I do not intend to not participate in things I enjoy due to fear. I have assembled AR's for friends as well. Am I liable if they shoot someone with it? Probably so, but in the scheme of things, the risk is pretty remote. It sure feels good when a friend shows me a target that he is proud of that was made using my reloads. That sense of pride is worth the risk to me. Regards.
Old March 20, 2007, 10:17 PM   #35
44 AMP
Staff

Relosding for someone else

Not sure how it is today, but it used to be that if you loaded the ammo, you were making ammo. If you reloaded his brass (with his powder,bullets, & primers) you were performing a service.

If someone asks me to load ammo for them I say, sure, give me your gun. I would not consider loading for anyone else without their gun to test the ammo on. After all, loads have to be worked up to be safe in a particular gun.
That stops most of them right there.

As far as being sued, well it could happen, but it is not high on list of worries. I do not sell handloads, only reload for myself, because all my friends handload their own.

I do not have a problem with the idea of handloading for someone else, as long as someone I trust. And it is all about trust. I trust my reloads in my guns, I trust my reloads in his gun (as long as I work them up in that gun), and I trust the individual to behave honorably.

Sure, you can get sued for anything, and may even lose (even though you have no control over the gun or the ammo after it leaves your possession), so you have to decide how much of a risk you are actually running by allowing someone else to shoot your reloads (even in your gun), so think carefully, and decide for your self.

In my case, I'm not worried.
Old March 22, 2007, 02:05 AM   #36
multistage

I guess I am the black sheep. I have loaded for guys in the past. Haven't for quite a while now, and will do so no more. Hate to use up my good luck on stupid things like that.