The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 16, 1999, 09:02 PM   #1
KAM_Indianapolis

Well, I'm hooked, shot my first batch of hand loaded today. Sweet, much more satisfying than buying $10 re-loads at the local range.

Thanks to the guys who helped with my question on deformed cases. I went back through the setup and the mouth wasn't being flared enough.

I must say the rounds had a little more kick than I'm used to. Usually shoot Winchester, 115g FMJ. I handloaded, 115FMJ over 4.6g of Bullseye. A little more kick but I was also able to get an inch off my best grouping yet (OK maybe I'm being optimistic it might have been 1/2 or 3/4 of an inch less.) :-)

No problems what-so-ever with the rounds I handloaded.

Well, on to the next 400 rounds...

Peace...
Keith
Old June 17, 1999, 01:42 AM   #2
Cheapo

Hey, KAM, contratulations on joining the self-reliant!

Spend same, shoot more. I like that.

BTW, this BBS will print a nice yellow smiley if you leave the "-" out of the emoticon. Like this: !

Don't remember how to get the others... :-^.

Cheapo
Old June 17, 1999, 12:16 PM   #3
Fred

KAM,

Welcome to the club! AS you are finding out, reloading is a very enjoyable hobby that can be a lot of fun. Just always remind yourself to check everything you do at least twice, so you can avoid unwanted accidents. Not trying to scare you at all - just want to note how important good work habits are when reloading. Have as much fun as I do!!

------------------
Regards - AZFred

Old June 22, 1999, 04:34 PM   #4
sjones

also a new reloader! loaded my first 15 the other day and went to the range. loaded 4.2 grains 231,winchesterbrass, cci primers,115 win round nose. they all grouped in the 7 to 10 rings at 15 yards with no problems at all. boy this is great,had to come home and show my wife the target, she wasn't as excited as i was though.oh well, i'm hooked anyway.
Old June 22, 1999, 05:21 PM   #5
Mal H
Staff

Yep, you guys are hooked, alright! And there ain't no looking back. You'll always have something to do, even on the rainy days.

What calibers are loading for?

sjones - Maybe you can get your wife involved in the reloading, then she might take more interest in the end result. You might start with her priming the shells or separating headstamps, etc. She might enjoy it and ask for more.

Have fun and stay safe...
Old June 22, 1999, 11:15 PM   #6
sjones

To Mal H. I am reloading 9mm right now but plan to get dies for my 7mm-08 soon. I took my wife to the range to show her how to shoot my astra-9mm. I started her out at about 10 feet.she was scared at first,but then she started to realy get into it.we were using a siloutte type target and she was getting most of them into the kill zone.she wanted me to move it back to the 20 foot zone. she still did pretty good for her first time. I think I might have unleashed another shooter,I think I might have found me a new partner in my shooting.this makes my day.
Old June 23, 1999, 06:45 AM   #7
KAM_Indianapolis

Same here, 9mm Sure have to say I'm glad I made the jump. Range bill went from $50 (1/2 hour + 3 boxes of ammo) to $24 (1/2 hour + 1 box of ammo)

Now I just have to reload more.

------------------
Peace...
Keith

If the 2nd is antiquated, what will happen to the rest.
"the right to keep and bear arms."
Old June 23, 1999, 12:16 PM   #8
Mal H
Staff

Indy - Man you've got to find another range! They're gouging you. If my math is right, your paying $12 per 1/2 hr and $12 per box of 9mm. The range fee should be half that and you shouldn't pay more than around $8.50 for 9mm practice ammo. You'll get your reloading investment back really fast if that's the only range available.