The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 14, 2016, 08:01 PM   #1
4D5

Ruger MKII stainless steel slab side

Finally found a wish list MKII.

A friend asked me to take him to Cabela’s to shop for an AR15. I didn’t plan on gun shopping for myself; however I went to the gun library while waiting for him to make a purchase and saw this MKII SS slab side.

New in box with all the contents and unfired, marked $499.99.
Cabela’s had a 10% off on firearms making it $450.

I looked it over and it didn’t have any issues. Fifteen minutes later it was mine.
It has right hand target thumb rest grips. I’m a lefty so it will be getting a Hogue wrap around grip.

Serial number indicates DOB ~ 1999

Last edited by 4D5; June 14, 2016 at 11:05 PM. Reason: fix title
Old June 14, 2016, 08:09 PM   #2
tallball

Awesome! My shooting buddy has one. It is fantastically accurate and fun to shoot.
Old June 16, 2016, 07:59 AM   #3
Lexspeed

Nice! I am sure you will really enjoy shooting it. They are a sheer pleasure to shoot. As for field stripping and cleaning, they are less of a pleasure. They reassemble much easier the third or fourth time. I have the same model in the MkIII version.
Old June 16, 2016, 11:13 AM   #4
rt11002003

Congratulations! Really nice find at a good price. It looks like my Mark iii. I recently purchased a NIB Mark iii TALO Hunter Target Model. Immediately ordered the Volquartsen Accurizing Kit and Disconnector. Surprise! The gun came apart and went together as though it had been thru the process many times. I've never had a Ruger so easy to strip.
Old June 16, 2016, 11:26 AM   #5
carguychris

This reminds me of a question I have about MkII's.

Is there anything particularly special about the slab side barrels other than the obvious – i.e. the slab sides? IOW are they measurably more accurate than the bull barrels or the 6-7/8" heavy tapered barrel?

I'm curious if there's any particular reason why they seem to command higher prices, other than rarity.
Old June 18, 2016, 11:03 PM   #6
scottys1

I have one I bought about 15 years ago. I installed a Volquartsen trigger kit. Very accurate.

I put left hand target grips on it.

I like handing it to a righty and see the look on their face when they try to grip it.
Old June 19, 2016, 10:48 AM   #7
Pahoo

It can only get better

Quote:
I'm curious if there's any particular reason why they seem to command higher prices, other than rarity.
This is one of a few, that are classified at the Target/Competition models. Really can't speak to the overall barrel accuracy, as compared to the rest. ..

Quote:
Immediately ordered the Volquartsen Accurizing Kit and Disconnector
It only gets better. A friend of mine did the same work on his Target model and what a fantastic shooter. He use to shoot competition with is. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old June 20, 2016, 10:51 PM   #8
SGW Gunsmith

The Ruger Mark II pistols are where Ruger should have maintained their focus. As they introduced the Ruger Mark III version, they added several features that were specifically geared toward appeasing some of the "legislative nitwits" in a few states who feel they have more of a handle on what makes a pistol safe, than their constituents, who've been purchasing these guns for the last 67 years. The Ruger Mark II Competition Target has always been one of the most desireable Mark II pistols that Ruger put out.

The takedown procedure, and even complete disassembly, does indeed seem like a daunting task to the first time owner. But really, once you get the basics "burned into your being", it's really not that big of a deal. These pistols were made to at least do a "field takedown" for cleaning. Once you get that part mastered, I recommend to my customers that they make sure they add a dab of "anti-seize" lubricant on the underside of the tab in the front of the grip frame and on the underside of the tab in the mainspring housing assembly. This will prevent any metal to metal galling and wear on those bare metal parts. Doing the anti-seize addition will sure make disassembly much easier next time.
Old June 21, 2016, 02:31 PM   #9
Pahoo

It's called "Progress"

Quote:
The Ruger Mark II pistols are where Ruger should have maintained their focus.
They have not lost their focus as we still have the basic design. It's hard to improve on perfection and yes, they are still that good. I have always been perfectly happy with the MK-I and I'm certainly not looking forward to any future MK-IV.

Progress; Trading off one nuisance, for another. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old June 21, 2016, 03:46 PM   #10
rt11002003

We live in an age where many of us feel a need to be pampered/protected. At the same time, many of us are more than pleased to force others to conform to their ideas. Actually, none of what I'm saying is really new. We just see an accumulation of what has gone on previously. We can expect more of the same.

I have several Rugers; feel they are a great value in today's world. The Mark iii changes I've experienced don't change my manual of arms, much. I ignored the LCI and the disconnector/mag change before going to Volquartsen kits. I still ignore the LCI; and will continue ignoring unless it becomes a mechanical issue. Then, it will go. I do like the fact that all my Mark iii Target Models are drilled and tapped.

I only have one Mark ii, a Government Target Model. I was fortunate that Ruger CS drilled and tapped it when they were doing some service work for me. So, I'm able to use red dot sights, or scopes which I really need with my old eyes. I'd consider buying another Ruger like the one the OP bought, if I could find a similar deal; and if, it was drilled and tapped. Might buy it anyway and send it to Ruger CS. They do excellent work; provide extraordinary service. Besides, a stainless, slab-side Mark ii would really be a nice fit with my Mark iii Competition Targets. Almost twins.

The folks on this board have really educated me about Ruger guns.
Old June 21, 2016, 04:00 PM   #11
gunnre

A beautiful gun. Still kicking my dairy air for letting my MkIII hunter go.
Old July 11, 2016, 11:14 AM   #12
SGW Gunsmith

Well, going more toward the Zytel grip frame for the 22/45 versions, sure is drifting away from the initial "steel" grip frame Ruger Mark pistols. The Ruger Mark II pistols were sold in a multitude of barrel lengths and contours from the 4-inch bull barrel, right on up to the 10-inch tapered bull barrels, with several variations in barrel length in between. We sure don't see anything near those choices available in the Mark III pistols.

With each new season, we seem to find a new color receiver/upper combination presented on the web-site. Lighter pistols that bounce around when fired because of the material these pistols are now offered with. Last I perused the Ruger.com web-site there were only a few remaining models of the Ruger Mark III pictured, the KMK512 Target and the KMK678 Competition Target. These versions still carry the forced safety modifications that only a few states blackmailed Ruger into adding so those guns could be sold there. Finally, Ruger said no to the extortion fees these couple of states were charging. I just expect more from a company like Ruger, who has produced a very fine .22 rimfire pistol since 1949, by doing it "their way" and not kissing anybodies RING. Still going with the "BASIC" design? No, they've strayed far away from the basics, a very few of the new additions are worthwhile, like where the magazine release/latch is now, and then the D/T of receivers. But other than those two.............. I have NEVER seen a Ruger Mark II Competition Target pistol that wasn't drilled and tapped. Why are they so popular and sell well on auctions sites? No LCI, no magazine disco.

There is a very disturbing story on one of the other rimfire web-sites of a member there who sent a Ruger Mark II MK-10 to Ruger to get drilled and tapped for an optics base. The person at Ruger doing the work drilled through the receiver and into the chamber, scrapping that upper from further use. They offered the guy a replacement Ruger Mark III, but it sure wasn't an MK-10 (with a 10-inch barrel).

Last edited by SGW Gunsmith; July 11, 2016 at 11:33 AM.