The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 8, 2008, 02:30 PM   #1
DavidAGO

like Dennisp, had a .45ACP case separate

actually, it just split at the head, but same senario as Dennisp. It was the first of that batch of reloads, first cartridge. I discontinued firing the gun. Now the question. I have 99 more of them, and I wish to go ahead and pull them and start again. What is the best method and equipment to do so. 230 grain cast round nose bullets.

I know some here will say try another from the batch, but I have been back at this reloading just a few weeks, and this is the first untoward mishap I ave had, and want it to be the last, so I will take the course of caution and redo the whole batch.

BTW, the gun, a Mitchell Stainless steel .45 functioned flawlessly with factory round nose ammunition just before loading up with the reloads.

DavidAGO
Old December 8, 2008, 02:43 PM   #2
Loader9

And the loading data was..............
Primer
Brass
Powder
Grs of powder
Bullet make
Bullet weight and configuration
OAL
Where did you get the data
Old December 8, 2008, 02:50 PM   #3
Slamfire

If you want to disassemble ammunition, the simplest tool is an inertial impact hammer. Everyone who reloads ammunition is going to need one at some time.

You can figure it will take at least 15 seconds per round to knock out the bullet and powder.

The bottom of the 45 ACP case head is not supported by the chamber walls. The feed ramp is below. If you have an overcharge, that is the weakest link.

You should weigh some pulled charges and see if you had the weight wrong.
Old December 8, 2008, 03:36 PM   #4
Bama46

I would weigh a LOT of pulled charges to see if there was a double charge..
Let me also say that everytime I have had any issue with a .45ACP it has been with a lead bullet. That pistol was designed for jacketed bullets and IMHO it will perform far better with them than with lead. 100 years of history is hard to beat...
I use 230 hardball and have Never had a problem...I have had various problems with lead..
Old December 8, 2008, 06:11 PM   #5
Dennisp

David. give yourself some pease of mind and pull em I pulled the rest of mine and it didn't take to long. I used the hammer. What was your loading data. Something else you can do is wweigh the entire round. There shoul be a big difference between thos that are loaded where they are suppose to be and those that have a double charge. it's an awful feeling isn't it? Good luck!

DP
Old December 8, 2008, 06:36 PM   #6
joneb

If the crimp is not sufficient there could be a bullet set back issue when a round is chambered, this would cause a increase in pressure.
Old December 8, 2008, 10:55 PM   #7
DavidAGO

loading data

And the loading data was..............
Primer
Brass
Powder
Grs of powder
Bullet make
Bullet weight and configuration
OAL
Where did you get the data

Should have included it at first: remington Large pistol primer
old military brass, headstamp WCC08, 3rd reload (in 25 years)
Bullseye, 4.5 gr
cast round nose, 230gr, a local caster
OAL 1.272
Data from LYman reloading, 49th ed. The powder charge is what I had used 25 years ago when I was reloading. It is the midpoint for the lyman reloading data

DavidAGO

Last edited by DavidAGO; December 8, 2008 at 10:59 PM. Reason: added a bit more information
Old December 8, 2008, 11:14 PM   #8
Sport45

Quote:
Something else you can do is wweigh the entire round. There shoul be a big difference between thos that are loaded where they are suppose to be and those that have a double charge.
I've tried this looking for cartridges that weren't charged (Progressive press mishap) and found it wouldn't work for me. There's enough varience in case weight that the small charge of powder is lost in the noise. I was using mixed brass.
Old December 10, 2008, 07:13 AM   #9
WESHOOT2

ACTUAL bullet weight and diameter?

Is the powder still good? (if it's 25 yrs old, too)

Are the cases securing the bullet from setback? (bingo! CRIMP ALONE WILL NOT SECURE A BULLET; case neck tension secures the bullet)

Your load, in and of itself, is utterly safe.