The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 18, 2005, 05:50 PM   #1
stardate

Guns all in one basket

Do you keep all of your guns at home? Except the one you carry on you.

I was thinking of renting a safe deposit box (I know some banks may not let you, but a safe deposit box is secret) to keep one or two handguns. Theft, fire, etc could destroy most or all of the guns I have at home. In the event I could not buy another handgun quickly, I could at least get to the bank during bankers hours.
Old September 18, 2005, 06:12 PM   #2
USP45usp

Good question.

I have five guns in the house as we speak. All the others are at other places, and I have over 30 now (do the math ).

Mainly, my main reason for having most to all in a giant safe at the local firing range, is fire. Now that it's coming up on winter, the main reason will be because of theft.

Honestly, if I had the money, and the room, a big safe would be in order and placed within the house. Since I have neither the money, or the space, I have taken action to place the guns elsewhere so that they are more safe than here.

Wayne
Old September 19, 2005, 12:41 AM   #3
leadcounsel

Good question...
I can see the merits of having your guns in seperate locations. Not sure if a bank would let you bring/store guns there.

I bought a large fireproof 7 guage gunsafe from www.sturdysafe.com and I'm very happy with it. It's the size of a refridgerator and was less than $2000 delivered.

Yes, it's alot of money, but it's an investment and peace of mind. It would be hard to replace even a small gun collection and there are many many reasons which I'm sure you can justify...
Old September 23, 2005, 06:30 PM   #4
the possum

FWIW, a friend of mine keeps many guns at the bank in safe deposit. He has a collection of 40 or 50 Colt SAA's, all engraved. Some worth upwards of $50,000 each.
Old September 23, 2005, 07:56 PM   #5
bdc

fallicy

I used safe deposit boxes when I left the country for a year because they were free.

There is no such thing as "banker's hours" when shtf.

You get inconspicious boxes that can be locked. You put an eyebolt into the frame of the car in the trunk and attach a locked box to the frame. You rent commercial space and store. You put a box at a relative's home. You rent storage near your work place for legal papers, tax returns, and slip a few in.

Remember the legal file cabinet in your office at home. You slip one in behind the back standing frame.

See the rafters in the garage? Boxes go up there.
Old September 23, 2005, 08:25 PM   #6
Night Watch
Registration in progress

Good idea not to keep all your eggs in one basket. Bank safe-deposit boxes aren't a great idea, though. If you become a target in an official investigation one of the first things they'll confiscate is the contents of your box. Lots of things can happen at the bank, too, that'll keep you from getting to your gun(s).
Old September 23, 2005, 09:00 PM   #7
rgoudy1975

Quote:
You get inconspicious boxes that can be locked. You put an eyebolt into the frame of the car in the trunk and attach a locked box to the frame. You rent commercial space and store. You put a box at a relative's home. You rent storage near your work place for legal papers, tax returns, and slip a few in.
Great ideas!!