The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 9, 2001, 12:43 AM   #1
Freedom in theSkies

7.62/ .308 loads and reccomendations?

I will be adding .308 to my die collection, to service the empty brass that I should be accumulating in a week or so. (I ordered an M-14).

What does powder like IMR3031 load like? I want to use 150 or 168 gr bullets.

Any preference for case overall length?- Keeping in mind that it will be going through a semi-auto?

Any and all suggestions are always appreciated.
Old December 9, 2001, 04:29 AM   #2
Smokey Joe

.308 Win load

I load up to 48.0 gr. of H380 behind a 165 gr. Sierra Boattail Spitzer softpoint for deer medicine. Good 'n' accurate out to 200 yd in a Browning lever action; haven't tested beyond that but hereabouts you never see a deer at 200yd so probably won't test. Besides being a nice shooting load, H380 also had the decided advantage of being really spherical; therefore it flows and meters beautifully. The Sierra bullets are sure-kill given half-decent placement. The 48 gr. for the powder is a MAXIMUM--start 10% lower and work up. Most accurate powder in your gun will probably be less than max; it just usually works that way. Enjoy!
Old December 9, 2001, 04:42 AM   #3
Smokey Joe

.308 Win load

I load up to 48.0 gr. of H380 behind a 165 gr. Sierra Boattail Spitzer softpoint for deer medicine. Good 'n' accurate out to 200 yd in a Browning lever action; haven't tested beyond that but hereabouts you never see a deer at 200 yd so probably won't test. Besides this being a nice shooting load, the H380 also is really spherical; therefore it flows and meters beautifully. The Sierra hunting bullets are sure-kill given half-decent placement. (As to accuracy, Sierra claims they are a little less accurate than their pure target bullets, but not so much so as to make a difference to a deer. If I were just punching paper I'd try their target bullet weighing 168 gr.) The 48 gr. for the powder is a MAXIMUM--start 10% lower and work up. Most accurate powder in your gun will probably be less than max; it just usually works that way. Enjoy!
Case OAL: Keep 'em down to the trim-to length. Lee Zip Trim machine makes this fast & easy. Also inexpensive. In an autoloader you will probably be full-length resizing, and the .308 Win case is known to lengthen with this treatment. Suggestion: Try neck sizing a small number and see if they function in your autoloader. If you can get away with only neck sizing the cases last much longer and do not have as much of a lengthening problem.
IMR powders are all cylindrical; therefore they do not meter smoothly. Have used 'em for years anyway and other than that they work fine when applied correctly.
Old December 9, 2001, 04:44 AM   #4
Smokey Joe

.308 Win load

I load up to 48.0 gr. of H380 behind a 165 gr. Sierra Boattail Spitzer softpoint for deer medicine. Good 'n' accurate out to 200 yd in a Browning lever action; haven't tested beyond that but hereabouts you never see a deer at 200yd so probably won't test. Besides being a nice shooting load, H380 also had the decided advantage of being really spherical; therefore it flows and meters beautifully. The Sierra bullets are sure-kill given half-decent placement. The 48 gr. for the powder is a MAXIMUM--start 10% lower and work up. Most accurate powder in your gun will probably be less than max; it just usually works that way. Enjoy!
Old December 9, 2001, 12:09 PM   #5
sricciardelli

Gee, Smokey...you sure load a lot......
Old December 10, 2001, 08:02 AM   #6
Dave P

Be careful when you load for the M1A; you need to keep in mind that this is semi auto. I would stick with advertised, common loads before trying loads that work well in a lever action. Op rods do bend!

The standard powders for the M1A that I use are 4895, 4064 and 2560. I use 168 grain bullets, and 40-44 grains of powder normally, but CHECK YOUR RELOAD BOOK FIRST!

No info on 3031 from me.

OAL to feed in the magazine should be 2.8", and not much more.

Have fun!
Old December 10, 2001, 05:34 PM   #7
Bogie

Do it the easy way... Get some 165 gr. Nosler ballistic tips, and start at around 39 grains of surplus 4895, and work it up.

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!
Old December 10, 2001, 11:34 PM   #8
Steve Smith

I agree with Bogie, 4895 is a classic powder for this caliber, and for the M14. You can get it surplus for $64 per lb at www.hi-techammo.com

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old December 11, 2001, 12:41 AM   #9
DAVID NANCARROW

The Speer reloading manual will give you recommended powders and charges for autoloaders, and seems to be pretty accurate.
Old December 12, 2001, 09:35 PM   #10
Peter M. Eick

My standard load is the following for my M1A's:
168 grn Seirra BTHP with 39.5 grns of IMR-4895 to 2.815 COL with C-34 primers and Factory Crimp die, Federal Brass to 2.005.

I weight every charge and sort the brass by weight and firings. Very reliable load for me. Keep in mind this should be a mild load, but the c-34 primer is a magnum primer and it pushes the pressure and velocity back up to the normal levels.

Good luck