The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 31, 2014, 11:05 AM   #1
8MM Mauser

A "No gun" world

The other day I was cruising facebook and I ran into a post from "Mom's Demand Action" which had been shared by The Truth About Guns. It was about how a certain gun grabber was hypocritically criticizing the NRA for blocking her from Twitter when this Gun-grabber site and many others routinely block or ban dissenters themselves.

I pointed out the hypocrisy of this in a comment and I was quickly answered by a MDA member with this comment:

Quote:
when you see kids being killed everyday there is no hypocrisy involved. Its just a matter of what some people see as common sense. The NRA thinks more guns is the answer we just think a no gun world is best.
A "no gun world is best." She said to me. Of course this ignores what a truly crappy world us humans had before guns existed; since it was the invention and proliferation of firearms that grew the size of armies and shrank the power of the nobility who were training in sword-fighting and horsemanship. It ignores that guns make it possible for citizens to be as well armed as their government. It ignores the fact that guns make it possible for the weak to defend against the strong.

It is just really, really an ignorant statement by a person who is raising the banner about an issue they literally know nothing about.

If history is any lesson, the world is a much better place with guns in it than it was before.

I won't even get into the ludicrousness of guns not existing at all. Good luck with that.

The rest of the discussion can be found here. Reading the comments from their members is chilling really.
Old December 31, 2014, 11:48 AM   #2
KEYBEAR

All Rights are Guaranteed by the Constitution/Bill-of-Rights and Protected by firearms in the hands of the people .
Old December 31, 2014, 12:30 PM   #3
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
The rest of the discussion can be found here. Reading the comments from their members is chilling really.
First off, I'm going to warn readers that there is a great deal of profanity at the link.

Second, those aren't NRA spokespeople. They're random people posting on an unmoderated service that doesn't verify identities or credentials. Search Twitter discussions on any hot-button issue and you'll find the same type of rancor.

Watts has done this before. She scoured a Twitter discussion, found a couple of random trolls, and made a big stink about how the NRA was waging a "war on women." It didn't work then, and it won't work now.

She's really overestimating the value of social media, which requires nothing more than a keyboard. She's underestimating an organization full of people who actually roll up their sleeves and do the work.
Old December 31, 2014, 01:28 PM   #4
doofus47

Well, to be fair

The post didn't say that MDA wanted to go to "pre-gun world"; they wanted "a no gun world."
I guess that's shorthand for saying "We want the moon." Or Mars, no guns found there yet. Or maybe Venus; since they are moms (at least in title).

Last edited by doofus47; December 31, 2014 at 01:29 PM. Reason: lacking punctuation.
Old December 31, 2014, 03:32 PM   #5
8MM Mauser

The "Pre-gun" world is the only possible example we have to go on though.

I was being facetious of course. I just can't believe the tactics some of these folks will sink to nor can I believe the lack of connection with reality.
Old December 31, 2014, 03:37 PM   #6
Spats McGee
Staff

If someone wants to argue for a world without guns, here's an excellent blog post on that very subject: A World Without Guns
Old January 1, 2015, 12:26 AM   #7
8MM Mauser

Thanks Spats that was a really interesting read and something I was much less eloquently trying to get at.
Old January 1, 2015, 08:10 AM   #8
44 AMP
Staff

One might remind the "no gun world" people that means police don't have guns, either.

You might also point out to them that we've spent a couple thousand years trying to raise man above the rule of the jungle, where the strongest do as they please with none to stop them. A "no gun" world would put us back there, pretty quick.

OR, you might point out that there is already a "no gun world", and they can find them in every place. Those no gun places have bars to keep the people in them from getting out. (there are, after all, no guns in prisons, for the inmates, anyway, and look at how safe and comfortable those places are!)

Happy New Year everyone!
Old January 1, 2015, 01:15 PM   #9
Glenn E. Meyer

There are estimates that in earlier times (prehistoric), that one in five folks died from violence. Not that high today!
Old January 1, 2015, 01:59 PM   #10
Brit

And we don't eat our combatants! Me personally do not just see firearms as my one tool between me, and the bad guys.

I like guns! Have done since I was a little boy. When we first got a TV, black and white, 12" screen, in Liverpool UK, Roy Rogers, Hop-along Cassidy, Gene Autrey, all on horseback, big six-guns on their hips, I was hooked.

Please excuse any spelling mistakes on those old idols of my youth.

As an old guy (79) and once was quite a scrapper, I could fight, and did, a lot!
As a kid we could not afford toys!

Confronted by a large teenager, I could still guarantee one good hit, or kick!

One, maybe two, then game over. With my Wife with me, not happening, I have a Glock 19, and can use it. No gun, no ability to protect both of us, against an extreme violent episode, a 9 mm, 16 round capacity pistol is not the answer to all, but it is not bad! Beats a sharp stick.
Old January 2, 2015, 06:46 PM   #11
barnbwt

A 'no gun' world run by MDA'ers in urban enclaves sounds suspiciously like Zardoz. Don't nobody want to live in that

TCB
Old January 3, 2015, 12:27 AM   #12
SC4006

First thing I though of is "God created man. Sam Colt made them equal".

I agree with 44 AMP. With guns, our power and abilities as individuals are no longer just based on physical size, or some sort of skill or attribute one possesses.

Guns are extremely powerful tools that are relatively simple to use, even for those with minimal or no training.

They say 5 out of 4 people are bad at math.
Old January 3, 2015, 12:58 AM   #13
CWKahrFan

Quote:
... "there are, after all, no guns in prisons, for the inmates, anyway, and look at how safe and comfortable those places are!...
It's a great point 44 Amp... 'Cept I'm figuring there's a horde of Pollyannas out in the general public who would read that exclamation and completely miss the irony!
Old January 3, 2015, 12:18 PM   #14
Andy Blozinski

This is stage 2:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/7508404.stm

Banning pointy knives.
Old January 3, 2015, 06:29 PM   #15
Tom Servo
Staff

Actually, it's snowballed past that in the UK. A few years ago, there was legislation to ban glass beer bottles because people were gouging each other with them.
Old January 3, 2015, 06:32 PM   #16
JERRYS.

when there was a no gun world millions of people still died, by the sword.
Old January 4, 2015, 03:41 PM   #17
Glenn E. Meyer

The UK has gone ban crazy. The latest ban is so ridiculous but of a subject matter than we won't discuss here. It caused a hilarious demonstration outside of Parliament.

If you do find it - DO NOT post the topic here but it gives you a feel for the UK's lack of basic rights.

I saw it on some news sites quite by accident.
Old January 5, 2015, 09:19 PM   #18
Baba Louie

See David v. Goliath (dang rockchuckers anyway)
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address
Old January 5, 2015, 09:52 PM   #19
Andy Blozinski

Oh yeah, Glenn...I saw that too! Not the kind of topic we want to posted here.
Old January 6, 2015, 11:45 AM   #20
22-rimfire

A "no gun world" is a fantasy. If confiscation occurred, only the criminals would have guns and they are willing to use them for their own purposes. As a result nothing changes that makes any sense regardless of what the Bloomburg funded MDA thinks.
Old January 6, 2015, 12:09 PM   #21
davem

44AMP has a good point. If the second amendment gets thrown away on the basis it only referred to a militia that Congress disbanded in 1903 then NO ONE including local police have a "right" to be armed. The federal Government could simply impose a ban on all guns. We might end up with a federal police force.
Old January 6, 2015, 12:19 PM   #22
kraigwy

I wonder what a 100 lb. lady facing a 200 lb. rapist thinks of a no gun world.

Or a 94 year old vet in a walker facing two or three street thugs think of a no gun world.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old January 6, 2015, 07:11 PM   #23
TXAZ

NEWS FLASH!!!

NEWS FLASH: ISIS and AQAP both support the U.S. goal to become "no gun" entity.

In 1995 in Saudi Arabia, when asked about an ideal world, one then associate of Osama bin Laden said they wanted to go back and live as Mohamed did in the 7th century under Mohammaden / Sharia law: no drugs (of any kind), cars, nothing from the 20th century.

When asked how they would keep order, he said with an incredulous look, with our AK-47's of course.

They're not giving up theirs, neither am I. MDA, where do you think this is going?

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old January 6, 2015, 09:16 PM   #24
Crankgrinder

Many of us know that violence cannot be legislated away, and the UK is proving it.
Old January 6, 2015, 09:19 PM   #25
8MM Mauser

You've all said it so well.

I find the David vs. Goliath mention interesting.

David wasn't going to wrestle that big guy to the ground.