The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 6, 2013, 09:20 AM   #1
camsdaddy

Any reason to not carry a full size

I am curious if there is any downside to carrying a full size gun. The gun in question is a Glock 17. I bought the 17 a while back and at first I was a little dissapointed. I found I shot my 26 better so I sorta just put it in a drawer. I have now spent more time with it and I shoot it well. I find I can shoot my 26 great but when it comes to actually running the gun I dont have to readjust grip on the 19 or the 17. On my 26 I find sometimes I dont get a full grip and often have to readjust during a string of fire. I run them and shoot them all good and would feel confident with any of them for carry. Where my 26 and my 17 shine are at distance. I realize that shooting someone at 25 yards may be controversial and thats not my point. I am more likely to want to shoot a plate or an armadillo at 25 yards than I will need to shoot someone in defense at 3 yards. I find this is where my 19 fails me. I really like the xs sights but at distance I just dont shoot them as well. AFter carrying my 17 for a week or so I can say my 19 feels a lot smaller. I have even considered cutting my 17 to a 19 but dont know if I will lose the feel of the 17.When I grab my 17 it feels good and I have a good grip and it points well. My question this all boils down to is at 5'7" 135lbs if I can carry and conceal a 17 is there any reason not to?
Old September 6, 2013, 09:22 AM   #2
Tactical Jackalope

Absolutely not.

Carry whatever gun you can shoot well and conceal well. I've always carried full sized guns since I started carrying and my smallest gun is a Glock 19.

I've carried SIG P226's and P220's, Glock 17, 34, 22, 21, 1911's..etc. If you can, carry on.
Old September 6, 2013, 09:30 AM   #3
Spats McGee
Staff

The only downside I can think of is concealability. If you can conceal it, or don't have to, I say go full-sized.
Old September 6, 2013, 09:35 AM   #4
qwik

I need suspenders when I carry anything larger than my Kahr, works well winter months
Old September 6, 2013, 09:44 AM   #5
Spats McGee
Staff

Then you need a better belt.
Old September 6, 2013, 09:47 AM   #6
Tactical Jackalope

Yes a belt is important. 0.0

http://www.originalsoegear.com/
Old September 6, 2013, 11:31 AM   #7
RBid

As has been said, the only down side may be concealability. If that's not an issue, you may as well reap the numerous benefits.
Old September 6, 2013, 11:36 AM   #8
TunnelRat

My favorite are mid-sized guns, i.e. Glock 19. Basically just long enough that I can still get a full grip. I'll trade the loss in concealability for controlability.

As for downside, as long as you can conceal it and it's comfortable enough to the point where you will carry it regularly (it's no good to you if you don't carry it) then go for it. I know a guy that carries a 4" Stainless Model 19. It's all about motivation.
Maintain situational awareness
Old September 6, 2013, 11:57 AM   #9
MLeake

I find compacts (in my case the CZ P01 and variants; in the OP's the G19) to be the best compromise between concealability and shootability. Full size work well with heavier clothing. Subcompacts and snubbies, to me, are either for BUG use or for when I can't conceal anything larger.

Good belts are critical. Good holsters and selection of clothing are almost as important.
Old September 6, 2013, 12:31 PM   #10
peacefulgary

Yeah, there are definitely reasons to not carry a full-sized pistol:

They're usually harder to conceal than a smaller pistol.

They usually weigh more than a smaller pistol, which usually makes them more uncomfortable to carry.

They limit your carry options more so than a smaller pistol.

You have to "dress around the gun" more so with a full-sized pistol.

Spare magazines are larger and heavier to carry too.

I sometimes carry my XD 45 service size pistol, but it is a large pistol so I usually carry it in a inside-the-waistband holster in the small of my back.
I sometimes carry my Ruger GP100 in the same manner.

But....

The small of the back is certainly not an ideal carry location, however it is just about the only way I can conceal the XD 45 (or the GP100) short of a vest and shoulder-holster (which is out of the question this time of year in North Carolina--too damn hot!).

BTW, I have a bulging disc in my lumbar spine (L5) that sometimes causes me pain.
When it is inflamed I cannot carry the XD or the GP100.
The weight of those handguns causes too much pain, and the small of the back carry makes it even worse.

That's when I carry my Ruger LCP in my front pocket.
Yeah, it's a small gun with a compromised grip.
Yeah, it's a 380 instead of a .45 or a .357 magnum.
Yeah, drawing from the pocket is a bit slower than drawing from a holster.
But it doesn't cause me pain and it's better than not being armed.

Also keep in mine that the Glock 17 was designed from the very start to be a soldier's pistol.
It was designed to be carried on a soldier's equipment harness, which distributes the weight the soldier carries across both his hips and across his shoulders.
The Glock 17 was never intended to be carried concealed in civilian attire.
Yes, a good belt can make a big difference, but it's still going to be a heavy bulky pistol to carry all day long.
I x-ray a lot of cops who suffer from hip and back pain from carrying their gear all day long.
More weight on the belt is literally a pain.
Old September 6, 2013, 01:17 PM   #11
MLeake

Funny, with a loose overshirt, I have no trouble carrying a 1911 or CZ75 in the 3:30-4:00 position IWB.

I use a 1.5" dedicated gunbelt, either a Sam Adams leather or a Talon Tactical urethane reinforced nylon rigger.

I wear a moisture wicking t-shirt under a loose outer shirt.

I carry a magazine (or two, depending) in a belt pouch symmetrically offset from the pistol (8:30-8:00)

Weight isn't a big deal, though it is noticeable.

I've carried the P01/SDP in similar position, under a loose t-shirt, on 20 mile bicycle rides...

Some people are more weight sensitive, I guess.

I do NOT carry anything SOB. An L5-S1 surgery a couple decades ago discourages such. (Impact related, had nothing to do with carrying things on my belt.)

As far as concealment goes, caveat that I am a long-waisted 6ft type.
Old September 6, 2013, 01:46 PM   #12
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Funny, with a loose overshirt, I have no trouble carrying a 1911 or CZ75 in the 3:30-4:00 position IWB.
Same here, never an issue with full size. I've even gotten away with more fitted shirts just fine. It goes into the indent of my back just right.

If I need to bend down to pick up something on the lower shelf, or carry a box out of the trunk though...I either print like a champ, or my shirt goes right in front of my gun.

Hence why at work I carry appendix..Just about anywhere I'll be doing physical activities I carry appendix. Unless, I have on a button up or a t'shirt and going out to a movie or dinner. Then 4:00 IWB it is with my trusty G19 & TLR-1s.

Everything I've done and can do with my G19, I've done in the past with my full sized guns.
Old September 6, 2013, 01:57 PM   #13
christian812

No reasons for my BHP
Some good reasons with my Sig P226
Old September 6, 2013, 02:01 PM   #14
IdahoG36

The only reason that I have found to not carry a full size gun is finding a comfortable IWB holster to accommodate one. That is why I generally carry smaller guns. They are more comfortable for all day carry.
Old September 6, 2013, 02:06 PM   #15
rotten mick

None. My first ccw gun was .40 S&W full size @ 39 oz empty. So my current one @ 27oz is a joy. 25 years never had anyone I didnt want to know that I had it on me ever knew I was carrying. My every day load is 15+1 in the gun, spare mag, mag light XL50 with some times a S&W folding tac knive.

Also IMHO and experience a all leather holster is best.
The rest of them have to touch an electric fence"..... Will Rogers.
Old September 6, 2013, 02:09 PM   #16
Babychief

Depends

If you train drawing from appendix carry it is uncomfortable getting in and out of vehicles (if you dont remove it prior to getting in) then you run the risk exposing your firearm in grocery parking lot ,pulling out your concealed carry in public to get into vehicle.If your thinking well remove it while your in drivers seat, try to do that with a glock17 in an appendix carry holster. I opted for a GLOCK 19 and i ran it in a USCA two gun competition and it shot as good as my GLOCK 17C.

Also applebees booth tables are too close and that is another issue, even if you carried small of your back, it (glock 17)would be uncomfortable. There is a reason for compacts, but if you cant shoot a compact close range (C.Q.B.) as well as your full size "its the indian,not the arrow"...practice how you actually e.d.c. Or you wont have muscle memory in a stress fire situation and it wont matter what size your firearm is then...stick with what is comfortable,functional and you will actually carry in all e.d.c. Environments...variables reduce your options to be effective under stress..

B.t.w. small of your back carry is not effective against an attacker 3yards or less, they can reach your arm in less than 2seconds, we trained this drill and if they have a knife your going to be stabbed before you get it from the small of your back, the same with shoulder rigs, there is a reason operators carry them due to tactical vests and body armor, that doesnt mean civilians should carry the same way. I.W.B. side 15% or about "F.B.I." cant angle or appendix carry, then take some advanced drawing from holster classes..you will be less apt to be worrying about the size of your firearm then since all your questions will be answered.
I hope this information helps, i E.D.C. I.W.B. AND O.W.B for my job and comfortable goes along way with wanting to actually carry..glock 19 and i used to carry a COLT officer MKIV

Last edited by Babychief; September 6, 2013 at 02:19 PM.
Old September 6, 2013, 02:15 PM   #17
spacecoast

One thing I've learned about firearms is to carry/deploy/use the biggest, heaviest gun that fits the mission. Bigger guns are easier to shoot, have less recoil and hold more and bigger rounds.
Old September 6, 2013, 02:18 PM   #18
rotten mick

Forgot to note.... if you drive a lot... shoulder holster is a good investment. You can get a good Miami rig for 75-100 bucks easy to wear under a size or two bigger work uni shirt, or yea my Hawaiian shirt works good(got more than I'll admit) in summer and a wind breaker or jacket in fall/winter. I've got two of them. One for a single gun two mags opposite and one double rig with a gun and spare mag under each side. More of a range rig, but I can wear it and you would be hard pressed to tell I'm carrying two 15+1 full size plus two spare mags.
Old September 6, 2013, 03:08 PM   #19
gotthegoods

I'm about your size (5'8" x 160lbs) and carry a CZ75B with no issues, all I need is a good holster, belt and full cut cover shirt.
Old September 6, 2013, 03:17 PM   #20
Babychief

Full shirt,belt,pants.....

Im guessing no one lives in Florida or Arizona?

Belt,jeans,slacks and full size shirt doesnt work when you want to go to a state park or beach in t-shirt and board shorts. With a tank top and shorts i carry a GLOCK19 with 0-printing..again this is all based on personal needs and environment, so unless your living in the same state,same body, same skill level and drive the same vehicle to same job with similiar destinations on weekends, the opinions will vary.

Take advice from someone who is prior law enforcment who lives nearby and ask how they conceal carry, then ask...WHY?
Old September 6, 2013, 03:28 PM   #21
Tactical Jackalope

Any reason to not carry a full size

I live in Miami, FL and have my whole life lol. My original comments still apply!
Old September 6, 2013, 04:03 PM   #22
rotten mick

Im in sin city usa..... Vegas baby. 110° is a cool day in summer. Its right now out my back door 100° and overcast... scratch that rain just hit my window.. I've got 25 years concealed carry experience. If you try different ways you will find a way that works for you.

I walk in shorts and tee's and flip flops, but im down to just the 15+1 carry then in a belly band but still at the 4 o'clock spot with a loose shirt going down the strip and no one knows squat.
Old September 6, 2013, 04:16 PM   #23
Babychief

I live in florida as well constantine

Constantine, i live here in sunny florida,volusia county and i carry my glock19 when its hot. When im doing private security work and have a waiver to carry a different caliber (florida state law is .38spl,.380 or 9mm ONLY!), i will carry my Colt officer if i can wear a dress shirt for work detail. Ive carried CZ40b,taurus slim, .revolvers etc, the flat slide on the glock and hammerless, small slide catch design makes it very comfortable to carry in shorts.
Old September 6, 2013, 05:35 PM   #24
Wreck-n-Crew

The problem most people have with carrying size is evidently the size and the weight.

The G 17 is a very accurate and has a high capacity, and its light enough to carry which makes it Ideal for full-size Carry.So if you think you can deal what the extra size and the little bit of extra weight, Just a few ounces, I say go for it.

My reason for full size carry is this...... The weight and size don't bother me Much and I'm willing to trade that for the capacity at the accuracy. The time to find out how important accuracy is to you is not in the middle of a gunfight, Sorry spats I know that sounds like your signature a little ...the skill part i left out..lol... but ever so true!

A half of an inch at 20 feet could be the difference between life and death, god forbid you ever have to use your firearm to defend yourself and I want every advantage I can get in a situation like that.
Old September 6, 2013, 06:53 PM   #25
MLeake

Florida heat is nothing new; my first carry permit was a Florida resident permit.

Carried in GA and NC, too, as described.

It's going to be 97 and humid tomorrow, up here near KC.

If board shorts and a tank for a beach run are the issue, that would pose the same challenge in Seattle or Portland.