The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 29, 2013, 09:05 PM   #1
Bill Akins

Picked up this Rossi Mod 68 at a Proxibid auction

Many years ago back in the early '90's, I bought my dad a 2 inch barrel, stainless Rossi mod 68 in .38 special. It had won the "handgun of the year" award that year. It's basically a copy of the S&W.

I was looking for a small compact snubby to carry instead of my 1911 or snubby N frame S&W 1917 or my 7.62x25 Tokarev (which I also use to carry a lot being very powerful but light and slim). This Rossi came up on the Belcher McPherson auction on Proxibid a couple of months ago, and I threw a bid on it for $259.00 and got it. Of course by the time the auction house fees were paid plus the shipping, it was just under $300.00 Still a good deal since it came in its original box and didn't have a mark on it plus it appeared like someone just fired a cylinder or two out of it, cleaned it and put it away. Just a bare hint of a turn line on the cylinder. Seriously it looked brand new.

Unlike the stainless one I bought for my dad, this one is blue but like my dad's, it's also a 2 inch barrel. It's single action pull is nice, but the double action pull is a bit stiff. I'll fix that. But overall just as I was with the one I bought for my dad, I'm pretty impressed with the Rossi model 68 and would recommend it to anyone. It compares very favorably to my wife's pre hammer lock 2 inch barrel S&W "Airweight". Plus it doesn't have the awful looking hammer lock just above the cylinder release like the current S&W's have. (Hate the looks of that darn thing, won't own a Smith with it). Anyone else here have a Rossi mod 68? And what is your evaluation of yours? Here's the pics of mine.....

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Last edited by Bill Akins; July 31, 2013 at 01:52 AM.
Old July 30, 2013, 07:10 AM   #2
Zhillsauditor

Funny, I just bought a 3" model 68 at a LGS. I had wanted a model 36/60 3" for awhile, but the price was always too much for me. The 68 looked in good shape, an old interarms import.

However, when I got it home I found it had some issues. The double action was stiff (no surprise) but also had some roughness right at start. I have learned it is probably from sear click so need to stone a bit off the double action sear. I detail stripped it I found some problems.

* The hammer seat on the rebound slide was chipped and worn to metal, and also worn at an angle (worn more to the right side than left side).
* The hand is canted a bit to the left and is god awful rough.
* The rebound slide is rusty where the spring is kept.
* The cylinder release could not be removed; I think that the spring is rusty and will not fully compress to allow the slide to be backed out of the channel.
* Finally, the hand tension spring broke upon disassembly of the trigger group (this has happened to me before on on old S&W model 63 and I still have an extra spring around here somewhere).

I think all this is fixable, except maybe the cylinder release, which I will keep well lubricated and should not affect function. However, I am assuming that I will need to replace the rebound slide with a S&W J frame slide and fit it. The hand has me concerned as I don't think I can reshape it due to the poor quality of steel. I found a used replacement that should work, although I am going to try to straighten the original first, so I don't have to try to fit a new hand.
Old July 30, 2013, 06:16 PM   #3
htmn2468

2" rossi

I have a nice 2" blued version I carry every day. Good quality for the price and NO stupid locks.
Old July 30, 2013, 08:04 PM   #4
Obambulate

The 2" blued Rossi 461 was my first handgun. It was perfectly acceptable and perfectly unremarkable. I have since decided it's worth a little extra to get the fine craftsmanship of a good S&W. The Smith will likely be more enjoyable to own and will hold its value if you someday wish to sell. I'm speaking of course about older S&W's without the stupid lock.